Going to freeze tonight - how worried about weird weather?!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Most of my tree's are pushing growth and been repotted and I've collected 5 tree's that are rather large and I don't want to move them around. Weather going to be 30 degree's F tonight and I was just going to build a simple cold frame(stakes and covered in a 3mm plastic sheet to the ground) around them on the ground and leave it at that. Everyone think this is ok? I'd rather not move 20 tree's to the garage since they've been repotted and some are two man tree's to life.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've also repotted several trees and collected 7 up until now. We just had 3 days of lows under 32°f. I simply put them in my cold storage over night that doesn't dip below 32°f. Everything seems to be fine with no damage. I think you'd be okay.

Aaron

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
IMG_2079.JPG I'd throw sheets over the big ones and move the smaller ones. It was 32F in my yard this am and some of the pots were beginning to freeze. I have my biggest trident (60+#s), repotted over 2 weeks ago, sitting on a cart and covered with a bunch of the smaller trees I've recently repotted, that gets wheeled in and out of the garage as needed. I set a large trash can over 2 other tridents in the yard- the wooden boxes are too large to fit under the can- the soil didn't freeze.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a part of our hobby - folklore that happens every spring...
Look, my trees that need some winter protection are mulched in the ground in my mother's garded. Not the best spot - open to the South. But I know when they start pushing it's time to take them back home. Always early spring, I think it's a matter of two weeks to do it. And then...shuffling if needed.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd put them in the garage. Take no chances.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
As Aaron mentioned we've had some temp dips out here in Albuquerque over the last 3 days. That being said, my Trident's have been sleeping inside with me because their already awake and pushing growth. I have the wife put them back outside at around 9am when temps are around 45f and rising...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't dance and almost never cover or move plants. Rarely do we get a severe frost late but if so I have learned it is far easier to cover plants with plant blankets and/or plastic containers and pots. I keep a large bucket of rocks behind the AC unit to hold things down. No spikes and such, quick and easy. This reminds me to put all of the containers and blankets near the shed door next year in Fall... They have not been used in over five years except for a few large pots that I cover my Wifes bulbs with if they break ground early - that seems to happen every year but a pot over them with a rock on top left there until all frost danger is gone does good.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just moved them all to the garage, will be 70 this weekend
Good call...especially with new root work! I'm with Judy better to be safe than sorry and kick yourself later by losing trees. This is one reason I plan on keeping my collection small. With that bonsai two step...less to move. But...am also realistic. My goal is to not max 20-25 trees. So I have time to also enjoy time with my landscape as well.

I'm sure you slept better knowing you were offering them the protection they needed.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is your next month....I found this to be a couple days off but almost accurate.
QuickMemo+_2017-02-17-07-48-18.png

Best Get you a radio flyer like Dav4!

Sorce

BonsaiMobius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The roller coaster weather continues. It was in the 70's yesterday and now is supposed to be below freezing every night for the next week! Nearly all of my deciduous trees have started to leaf out. I only have about a dozen trees so I am not concerned about being able to bring them in from the cold. I can either bring them into a dark unheated garage, or a garden level rec room that gets a decent amount of light and I can shut off the heat to it. But I am worried about them not receiving adequate sunlight and humidity now that they have woken up and have their growth become leggy and weak.

Screenshot_20170309-190727.png

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's been high 70's here lately, then last night we had tornado warnings and I barely rescued my trees from a hail storm last night. The wife held the flashlight while I put them in the shed, getting pelted the whole time. I've said it before, she's a keeper... and now it's supposed to snow tomorrow. The shuffle is real.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The roller coaster weather continues. It was in the 70's yesterday and now is supposed to be below freezing every night for the next week! Nearly all of my deciduous trees have started to leaf out. I only have about a dozen trees so I am not concerned about being able to bring them in from the cold. I can either bring them into a dark unheated garage, or a garden level rec room that gets a decent amount of light and I can shut off the heat to it. But I am worried about them not receiving adequate sunlight and humidity now that they have woken up and have their growth become leggy and weak.

View attachment 135696
Same here - I have a few more trees, and not looking forward to moving them. What's worse though I think is that almost everything has leafed out for me, except my bald cypress, oaks, and a few elms, and I don't like the idea of leaving them all in the garage for a full week. What can you do though? I'm not moving them in and out every day.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of my tree's are pushing growth and been repotted and I've collected 5 tree's that are rather large and I don't want to move them around. Weather going to be 30 degree's F tonight and I was just going to build a simple cold frame(stakes and covered in a 3mm plastic sheet to the ground) around them on the ground and leave it at that. Everyone think this is ok? I'd rather not move 20 tree's to the garage since they've been repotted and some are two man tree's to life.
Nope. If they're in leaf, or if there leaf buds have just opened a little, MOVE THEM INSIDE. This latest cold spell here in Va. at least is a long deep one. Even huge containers under mulch will freeze through as temperatures will drop into the low 20s and won't get above 35-40 for a week. That is a recipe for disaster as it won't get warm enough for long enough to prevent that freezing. If you value your trees and don't want a very disappointing April and May weeding out the dead ones, move them...

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got a house full and more I'm worrying about. Many leafed out starting, to flower and fresh repots are indoors today. After 2 months of almost spring we got 3-4 nights in the teens coming. Looks like a week-10 days of it for us Ohio peeps.
If you don't get winter in winter. you'll get it in spring.

Top Bottom