Go big or go home!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Screw it, screw it, screw it to a board!
Get out of the wine cellar, man! Go look at the second picture!!

I wanted these less then 1 year old roots to really grow this year, so I went easy on cutting back the trunk stub. Next year, I'll finish flattening it, attach a larger board and start positioning the roots.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Get out of the wine cellar, man! Go look at the second picture!!

I wanted these less then 1 year old roots to really grow this year, so I went easy on cutting back the trunk stub. Next year, I'll finish flattening it, attach a larger board and start positioning the roots.
You’re right! I didn’t see the second picture! I guess my phone was taking its time downloading it.

I hope the trunk stub is short enough that you don’t get a bunch of downward roots right at the base of the trunk.

You can ask Boon at Rednecks.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You’re right! I didn’t see the second picture! I guess my phone was taking its time downloading it.

I hope the trunk stub is short enough that you don’t get a bunch of downward roots right at the base of the trunk.

You can ask Boon at Rednecks.
The board is between 1/2 to 1" below where the current roots are, so I'm sure I'll get some roots growing straight down but they'll get cut away next spring and all the others will be growing laterally. I've killed more then my fair share of layers by messing with the roots too soon/too aggressively. Giving the roots a solid year of growth now will allow me to really flatten the stub to right where the new nebari is growing next spring... it's all good:cool:.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The board is between 1/2 to 1" below where the current roots are, so I'm sure I'll get some roots growing straight down but they'll get cut away next spring and all the others will be growing laterally. I've killed more then my fair share of layers by messing with the roots too soon/too aggressively. Giving the roots a solid year of growth now will allow me to really flatten the stub to right where the new nebari is growing next spring... it's all good:cool:.
I’m just thinking out loud... it would be nice if you could find some kind of metal ring (washer, or flange) you could slip over the bottom of the trunk, and snug up to the new roots. Kinda hold it in place using electrical putty. Then next year, you could remove it and cut flat. That would prevent immediate vertical roots... just a thought.

Ok. I’m done. Time to take my meds!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Today is much cooler, maybe 58 F, and drizzling... perfect to re-pot the other big layer from last year!
IMG_0589.jpgIMG_0590.jpg
If you look closely, there are 3 distinct levels of new roots. The bottom level had to go because it was below the original graft at the trunk base. I'm thrilled to report that the middle root level- at the spot where the trunk was girdled- is quite robust and I was able to use my sawz-all... the roots came through just fine and I wasn't electrocuted either:p. A board was screwed to the newly sawn base and the tree was placed into a mica pot with my proprietary grow out soil mix for the year. There are too many individual roots currently, but the health of the tree comes first. Next year, the roots get reduced, a larger board will replace the current one, and it'll go into a wooden box.
IMG_0591.jpgIMG_0592.jpgIMG_0593.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well now I've got to ask... What's in it?!? ;)
It's a carefully measured, weighed and professionally mixed product of essentially and specifically what ever I have in sufficient enough quantities to fill the grow boxes;). I keep all my old turface/lava/pumice/bark based soil in plastic trash cans in the back yard and dip into it when re-potting projects like this. I want to put everything into an akadama based soil eventually but that's just not feasible right now. Also, I find that as long as the soil is granular and the container has some height, everything grows well.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today is much cooler, maybe 58 F, and drizzling... perfect to re-pot the other big layer from last year!
View attachment 179306View attachment 179307
If you look closely, there are 3 distinct levels of new roots. The bottom level had to go because it was below the original graft at the trunk base. I'm thrilled to report that the middle root level- at the spot where the trunk was girdled- is quite robust and I was able to use my sawz-all... the roots came through just fine and I wasn't electrocuted either:p. A board was screwed to the newly sawn base and the tree was placed into a mica pot with my proprietary grow out soil mix for the year. There are too many individual roots currently, but the health of the tree comes first. Next year, the roots get reduced, a larger board will replace the current one, and it'll go into a wooden box.
View attachment 179308View attachment 179309View attachment 179310

Incredible Start!

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am SOOOOO Glad to see the success of Airlayers on this thread and another. Specifically the size, I originally was "taught/learned" could only use smaller younger trees. But as we all do and was previously mentioned..go big or go home, home being some other lame hobby, haha.
My first few failed, for rookie issues, as you noted being too eager too soon.
But am wicked psyched for you and for this coming growing season. Bravo to all!!!
Its too bad we have a blizzard in the morning, otherwise I would have 3 more layers started. But then again....Real men Bonsai! (Trademark application already sent in. HAHA) So I may just be out there during it. I will say this last storm, last week or so, a crap load of trees and branches are down all over New England. Which makes me think, Yes I do it sometimes, that some Lay-person( that's the name for non-bonsai people) will be calling landscapers and tree co.'s to have trees removed, so get out there and get some "Yamadori's" I have already spoke with 2 homeowners and they were surprised I wanted it, haha, such silly thinking these people have! haha All cause one branch broke, like they have any clue what its like to have a tree drop a branch or not take to wiring well. LOL Be WELL!!!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just wondering but how many years do you think it will take to make this into an ok bonsai?
I have no idea, but I think it will take at least 10 years just to build the rest of the trunk. My plan is to ground layer this one next year, then probably put it back in the ground for a few years.

Top Bottom