Four Seasons Annual Show

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Speaking of mugo I would like you to see my first styling of the mugo I got from Vance at the show. Wire was biting in so I just replaced with heavier copper and did a redirection of lower left branch. Turned out better than I expected. I want to call it View attachment 259839Vance Drogonson if it continues to improve ( wView attachment 259839ith Vance and Mike approval of course).
Hmmm...

I don’t know how Vance had it going, but I’m not a fan of the way that lowest left branch is going. Assuming the picture is taken from the front, that branch emerges from the trunk on the right side, and is bent back across the trunk to eventually go all the way over and towards the back.

Let’s just say that goes beyond “stretching” the rules! Lol!!! Here’s the deal: you can pull tricks like that when bringing branches around from the back to the tree to the front, but you can’t take branches across the front of the trunk.

I suggest you should search for a different front, and/or planting angle.

Also, that heavy wire you used to wire the two lowest branches: there isn’t a good anchor, and the wiring isn’t very secure. I bet if you wiggle one branch, the other wiggles, too! (Push down on one, and the other will move up, like a see-saw!). You ran that wire in between the crotch formed by the two branches. There’s no anchor. The wire should go around the trunk or at least around the crotch to make an anchor and be more effective.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Speaking of mugo I would like you to see my first styling of the mugo I got from Vance at the show. Wire was biting in so I just replaced with heavier copper and did a redirection of lower left branch. Turned out better than I expected. I want to call it View attachment 259839Vance Drogonson if it continues to improve ( wView attachment 259839ith Vance and Mike approval of course).
I believe the right hand lower branch needs more motion and lower direction. As far as the left is concerned, the limb was pointing more toward the observer and I thought it would give a better effect to the left of center ( I don't really see it leaning more to the right ). You were correct about the wire and I redid that after reading your observation ( it is funny what you can stare directly at and not see ). Thanks for that. The biggest obstacle I see in the next few years is to reduce the may stumps emitting from the lower trunk to give a better profile. All the rest will be pinching in the spring and letting it grow and thrive.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
@Leo in N E Illinois came to the show Sunday.
I just want to say what a wonderful person he is.
He came and sat with us for most of the day.
He brought both of us,Vance and I,5 pounds of blueberries each!
He grew them himself.
And to top that he gave me a Sorce pot!
Beautiful bronze,coppery glazed rectangle.
Now I got to go dig up some beech or horn beam for it.
What a terrible problem to have.
Also Leonard B. brought some beautiful wood products.
Display slabs and stands made completely out of burls of various species.
A lot with the live edge.
He does some fine work with some beautiful wood if anyone wants something cool and exotic to display trees on or even to just display on the wall and look at.
They're that good.
Thanks buds for the recommend. I have a very unusual stand planned for next year and hope you and Vance give me a good look over. I had to make a special board before I could cut it up to make the construction ( see attachments for a sneak peek).

Attachments

• spalted maple 82019-midpour B.jpg
    spalted maple 82019-midpour B.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 37
  • spalted maple 82019-final sanding.jpg
    spalted maple 82019-final sanding.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 59

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw something I've never seen before; Judy Muench displayed a landscape made with Thuja occidentalis 'Primo' - this is the most dwarf, fine foliage Thuja I have ever seen. If it were not labeled, I would have assumed it was a Hinoki. Chamaecyparis obtusa. But its was labeled Thuja, and when googled, Isle Nursery has been propagating this marvelous dwarf. This might be a good one for further bonsai experimentation. The Isle website says it grows 3 to 5 inches a year, which is slow, so remember don't expect it to grow rapidly. The site also says it was found as a seedling, so there is no danger of reversion that one might find with witches brooms. This is a genetic dwarf, not a witches broom. Style by keeping as much as possible.

I have 5 of these at home, just gotta choose my rocks.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Hmmm...

I don’t know how Vance had it going, but I’m not a fan of the way that lowest left branch is going. Assuming the picture is taken from the front, that branch emerges from the trunk on the right side, and is bent back across the trunk to eventually go all the way over and towards the back.

Let’s just say that goes beyond “stretching” the rules! Lol!!! Here’s the deal: you can pull tricks like that when bringing branches around from the back to the tree to the front, but you can’t take branches across the front of the trunk.

I suggest you should search for a different front, and/or planting angle.

Also, that heavy wire you used to wire the two lowest branches: there isn’t a good anchor, and the wiring isn’t very secure. I bet if you wiggle one branch, the other wiggles, too! (Push down on one, and the other will move up, like a see-saw!). You ran that wire in between the crotch formed by the two branches. There’s no anchor. The wire should go around the trunk or at least around the crotch to make an anchor and be more effective.
Thanks again for the heads up. You were also right about adjusting the front so I believe this gives a much better taper to the ground. I think Vance has a point as well to just let this thing get old and ugly gnarley all by itself from now on.

Attachments

• 8302019 Vance Dragonson Mugo .jpg
    8302019 Vance Dragonson Mugo .jpg
    281 KB · Views: 55

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
How is it going to get "old and gnarly" if your going to be spending the next 5-6 years chasing the foliage back?:)
Not chasing, just prudent pruning and tending. Time takes care of gnarley ( its the way they naturally grow ).

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How is it going to get "old and gnarly" if your going to be spending the next 5-6 years chasing the foliage back?:)
Chase me for 5 to 6 years and I'll be the gnarliest person on the planet.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
The action of cutting back, wiring and clipping new growth tends to make the tree look old.
Vance, I only changed the direction of the lower left branch when I was taking off some wire that was biting deep. In the course of rewire and looking for the best front I changed it and liked it. Since we are may years away from anything finished I thought it a good try. Hope you agree with my efforts and you will see it next year at the August show ( and Mike can flog me then). Thanks again for all the inspiration.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks buds for the recommend. I have a very unusual stand planned for next year and hope you and Vance give me a good look over. I had to make a special board before I could cut it up to make the construction ( see attachments for a sneak peek).
Here's the finished art project. All comments welcome ( be nice!).

Attachments

• spalted maple 9202019-final assy urethaned.jpg
    spalted maple 9202019-final assy urethaned.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom