found me some nice white pines.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found a spot off the side of my drive full of small narly looken WP. Only dug up one... beat up some others and left them for another year.

Any one know of some good reading material on w.p.? I have what I think is a nice one iv been playing around with for a few years but would like to get some good info on them to help move thing along.

Oh and should I snip some of the ends on the new growth off the branches? My other one I have iv just been pinching half the candles off befor they open.

Attachments

• 20160710_175740.jpg
    20160710_175740.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 20160710_175804.jpg
    20160710_175804.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20160710_181221.jpg
    20160710_181221.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 86

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Check out Giga's thread..very informational.

Rick

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would recommend no pruning and no wiring for this and maybe next season. Let it recover, feed it, water and mist. Now you need to let it adjust to new environment and get it strong. The most important is new root growth. Watch Ryan Neil's Pine Lectures videos. Disregard he's talking about scots pines, the first years after collecting are similar generally...

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have found that for me these do not back bud... that's why I was asking if I should start trimming now... or let it grow.

Thanks for the info both of you. I'll look them up.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Would these be Eastern White Pines?

If so, be prepared for frustration. They will always have long needles, long internodes, refuse to backbud, will always look "sparce", have smooth juvenile bark for 20 to 25 years.

If none of these attributes bother you, have fun!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Just be aware that native EWP are not good candidates for bonsai, and they need to be much much larger then yours to be passable. With these I would honestly plant them in the landscape and move on to another tree. You need a lot of grafting n such to make these work and even then the trunk may be to small.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I suppose and hope to be proved wrong but I have never seen a fully developed bonsai of EWP bonsai, and I have been doing this for a while. From the looks of the growth on your tree you are not getting enough light.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Another at the NC Arboretum in Asheville...
pinus_12.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm going with "very old".

No one in their right mind would graft on EWP foliage!
I'm betting "very old" too. I think it's been in training as a bonsai for some time, probably measured in decades, and was almost undoubtedly collected first. I know the NC Arb. keeps meticulous records on their trees, so someone in contact with Arthur Joura could probably find out.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
ive found that these do backbud, and can grow compact, but in the ground. so I would say put in the ground, and work on it in the ground and eventually re collect it from the ground to put in a pot once it shows compact growth, probably 3-4 years of no wire or pruning minimum to get it start acting right.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm betting "very old" too. I think it's been in training as a bonsai for some time, probably measured in decades, and was almost undoubtedly collected first. I know the NC Arb. keeps meticulous records on their trees, so someone in contact with Arthur Joura could probably find out.
But even then, the best part of the tree is the old trunk. Great bark, for sure. But the foliage? Thin, sparce, long internodes, droopy, needles are long...

Now, if someone were to graft Japanese Red pine on that trunk...

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
But even then, the best part of the tree is the old trunk. Great bark, for sure. But the foliage? Thin, sparce, long internodes, droopy, needles are long...

Now, if someone were to graft Japanese Red pine on that trunk...

hehehe I have a red pine for this o_O

Top Bottom