For the advanced seasoned bonsaist...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How long have you been doing bonsai...and what is the longest (years wise) bonsai tree you have in your posession? (Years under your tutelage)

Just curious...how long one may "go back" if you will with the same tree under their tutelage...and care.

It is hard to say, actually. I got my first bonsai book 40 years ago. Yuji Yoshimua's Miniature Trees and Landscapes. I have always loved that book and you might consider that when I started "doing bonsai". But I didn't start my current collection until 1996 when I started some oak seedlings. I started three dozen total that year and the next. I only have four left and those are the trees I have had the longest, 20 years.

11 years is my longest in training, but I tinkered with bonsai for years before that. Nothing survived back in Fl, when I moved away after college.

I started getting into bonsai about 20 years ago. The first 4 years or so were the typical beginner mallsai stuff (although I did pot them myself from pre-bonai stock at least). After that I had a good long stint trying to grow all manner of trees indoors because I didn't have any outdoor space. I learned a lot during that time, but mostly that indoor growing really isn't the same as outdoor growing.

I did a full re-boot of the hobby back in 2005 when I finally bought a house.

The tree I've owned the longest is a "too little" ficus, which I've now had for about 16 years. A friend took care of it for a few years in the middle and almost killed it, but it's since recovered and won't be under anyone's care but mine for the foreseeable future.

I also have a linden that I dug up as a stump between some bushes about 10 years ago. That was the first new tree of the "reboot", and has been an excellent practice tree over the years. They take to wire and pruning quite well.

I think everything else is some number of years less than 10, and I have a number of things that are probably in the 5-8 year range. I'm just entering my 3rd decade of doing bonsai, and my 2nd decade of doing it "right". =)

I received my first bonsai as a gift for Xmas back in 1996...so I'm into my 20th year:eek:. I have 2 Japanese maples I started as cuttings 18 years ago. I've had this yew a long time, too...likely 14 years. The juniper has been under my care for at least 15 years, as well. IMG_1164.JPG DSC_0124.jpg DSCF3329.jpg IMG_1104.JPG You'd think they'd all be further along:oops:...the journey's been great, though.

I'm not advanced nor seasoned, but I TRIED my first bonsai tree back in 1982 or so. Nursery bought juniper that I kept inside and it died immediately. The only guidance I had was the guy on PBS doing bonsai with sphagnum moss, and a couple of magazines my dad bought right after the war (WWII. He was stationed in the FL keys, not Japan, BTW).
Sorry, this is off topic.
CW

Actually first tree was wild pear my dad pulled up for me. Yes pulled up. My first 4 trees were all collected this way by dad and my uncle Charlie in 1959. The other 3 were a Tamarack and 2 Ponderosas. All lived for many years. Surprising as I started out as 7th grader. Current oldest resident is Austrian Black pine I bought as 5 year nursery tree Winter 1964 so is going on 57 years old now. Last year it had its first real problem when almost every new sprout turned brown just about the time the needles grew out. Lost 4 trees and 2 more possibles to same problem:(. Came to conclusion will need enthusiastic application of fungicides as soon as have dry enough weather to keep on trees a couple days. So far have had very regular and enthusiastic rain this Winter:confused:. Humbug!

I would love to see it!
Hey Joe, I'll post a pic this weekend as I'm in the process of putting it through it's next phase. You'll probably be dissapointed to see it......I've spent 31 years growing a trunk, a really good trunk! Also, I have a number of others that I've had for 20/ 25 years, one Japanese maple that I've had for 30 years that are further along in the process that I'll put up in a day or two. Thanks for asking.................SK

Started 39 -40 years ago when I was 13.

Dug this Common Ivy out of a wall when I was about 18 - so 35 years. Club member told me he defoliated his 4x per year...
05056260 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

10311269 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Started this Larch as a seedling 32 years ago. It is a child of the 80's - as you can see from the distinct pads - before we knew any better.
04266006 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

12122292 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Really enjoying everyone and what they have shared.. the photos are icing on the cake! Also...goes to show new ones that the title under the members name...doesn't mean years of knowledge. With myself only having 2 1/2 years in. But love the dedication seen in the posts. Thanks again.

Well, I had hoped to see some others post. It's taken me a week to post these two, I've been busy getting tree work done. Maybe others will put up a pic or two soon. Anyway, here are pics of the two I've had in cultivation the longest. The first one is an old crepe myrtle I dug from a hedge 31 years ago. Grew it on in a container for awhile, then put it in the ground as part of the landscape. I took it up about 5 years ago. At present, it measures 41 inches tall with a 4 inch trunk. I'm going to remove that leader that moves out to the left and rebuild branches from there possibly using that long branch that goes out to the right. Will also work to improve the rootage. Overall age approximately 60 years. The second one is Japanese maple "Bloodgood". I've had it for 30 years. I know that Bloodgood isn"t used much because of it's coarseness. I've just made a larger bonsai with it. Currently it measures 29 tall, 24 wide, 7 1/2 root spread at soil level, with a 4 inch trunk. It will slowly increase in height and width, a fewmore inches each dimension.DSCN1523.JPG DSCN1490.JPG DSCN1498.JPG

My first bonsai attempt was in 1977. My dad worked in the paper industry and he brought home an Eastern White Pine that a paper company had given him. I chopped that thing and wired it, and I don't doubt it looked horrible but I don't have a photo of it. After about a year, my mom coaxed me to give it up and plant it in the yard. That tree is now a BIG TREE. After that I have always been fascinated with bonsai, but I had little time to practice it until I got a steady job and a house.

I've been practicing bonsai "consistently" for about 25 years. My oldest tree is a shimpaku that I am about to air-layer this spring so it is a little shaggy. 25 years in the same pot (though I have replaced the soil numerous times). It was one of the few trees that survived the move from Chicago 20 years ago. I had to give away many of my cold-hardy trees because they wouldn't survive in Southern California.

Back
Top Bottom