For FREE!!

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Some times my job pays in more than one way.
I was working in an older lady's (95) basement today and as I was turning on lights I see some wire coiled up and notice its bonsai wire. So I do the work that needs to be done go to collect and ask about the wire. She says take a look around down there. My husband passed years back and bonsai was his hobby. She also told me a year ago she had to get her hip replaced. Said none of her children or grandchildren bothered to care for the trees the months it took her to get better so they all died over a summer. She showed me a picture of his benches. AMAZING trees!! All gone.

So this is what I found in the basement.
image.jpg

I gathered my gifts and headed to my next call. Not 10 minutes from her house she calls me. Says I need to come back and really look around her house. She checked the garage and there are 2 shopping carts filled with bonsai pots. So I'm going back tonight to check the garage, sun room, back screened in porch, basement again and huge shed!
Is it Christmas time already?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not if I get there first :p

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is some good karma. Try to do her some small kindness to repay...

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I plan on giving her one of my small schiffelara in a pot she gives me. I figure since they are so hardy and can survive with almost no light it could sit in the window and would be nice for her and a way to remember what her husband loved to do.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some times my job pays in more than one way.

She checked the garage and there are 2 shopping carts filled with bonsai pots. So I'm going back tonight to check the garage, sun room, back screened in porch, basement again and huge shed!
Is it Christmas time already?

wow. now that's amazing.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
You should go over every other week or so and let her tell you stories. She would love it and you would gain more riches than the bonsai stuff.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
MileHigh
When I went over there last night we talked for a few hours. She is a real nice lady. She makes jar terrariums of all sizes and donates them to auctions that benefit different people. So she showed me some of the ones she was getting ready.

She also gave me 3 more books and I told her of my plan to give her a schiffelara and she is ecstatic. I very well may end up going over there once a month or possible more.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
MileHigh
When I went over there last night we talked for a few hours. She is a real nice lady. She makes jar terrariums of all sizes and donates them to auctions that benefit different people. So she showed me some of the ones she was getting ready.

She also gave me 3 more books and I told her of my plan to give her a schiffelara and she is ecstatic. I very well may end up going over there once a month or possible more.

That would be a wonderful thing for her and a unique learning experience for you. I often go visit Gandmother as she has a wealth of knowledge. I might suggest you get a tiny plate inscribed "in Memory of" and cement to the pot. Inexpensive but special.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Totally agree plantDR. This is the way we all wish to be treated, especially in our later years. And so much is lost just because no one listens to our elders anymore...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Only thing I would do different (if it is me) is give the old lady an idea of the monetary value of the stuff she is giving away to me. If she insists on giving them anyway, then my conscience is clear. I just hate to take advantage of her generosity...as I would hate anyone take advantage of my wife if it is her in that position years from now. JMHO.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Totally agree plantDR. This is the way we all wish to be treated, especially in our later years. And so much is lost just because no one listens to our elders anymore...

That's the truth Judy!
I love listening to older people. There is so much to learn from them and the stories they share about their life in general is fascinating to me. I often get the ball rolling by asking what the biggest changes they have seen in their lifetime. A lot of my customers are elderly and alone. They LOVE to talk and have company. A lot of times especially if its a slow day or the last job of the day I will sit and listen to their life stories for sometimes hours after I have finished the job.

Poink no one got taken advantage of but I appreciate your concern.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Still eager to see the pots...

I haven't even had time to look at them really. Work has been crazy then home to cook dinner and entertain a 5 month old baby girl. Between working and the baby I don't get much time right now lol. It was dark when I got there, she already had them boxed up along with 3 other books sitting on top of the boxes. From what I could from the top most looked like standard rectangle brown and unglazed. And have stains from water hardness. I will be opening the boxes up this weekend!! Any idea how to get the white stains off the pots?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And have stains from water hardness. I will be opening the boxes up this weekend!! Any idea how to get the white stains off the pots?

Warm soak in a tub with vineger brushing with a vegetable brush "soft" worked well for us here - takes awhile but we have good results. Takes a few days of soaking. Sometimes after drying need more but I have time...

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Warm soak in a tub with vineger brushing with a vegetable brush "soft" worked well for us here - takes awhile but we have good results. Takes a few days of soaking. Sometimes after drying need more but I have time...

Thanks Grim!!! Maybe I'll have time to do that this evening.

What part of PA are you from. I lived in Media and Boothwyn about 15 years ago. My family live everywhere up there from West Chester to Philadelphia to King of Prussia.

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks Grim!!! Maybe I'll have time to do that this evening.

What part of PA are you from. I lived in Media and Boothwyn about 15 years ago. My family live everywhere up there from West Chester to Philadelphia to King of Prussia.

I'm from Boothwyn! Never thought I'd meet someone on here who has ever been! How old are you if you don't mind me asking? Did you go to school in Chichester?

Top Bottom