Flowers 2017

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Lemon tree finally blooming.

If they do not produce fruit after flower like Pomegranate consider pollinating them with a Q-tip. Up North as we must bring many species inside and they don't have the ability or availability to pollinate unless they have perfect indoor conditions and honest it is no huge deal unless you want to see fruit. Nice to see the bloom and thank you for sharing :)

Grimmy

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Them Citrus trees has very similar flowers. My Calamondin which is producing another flush of flowers right now. The cool thing about Calamondin is they're self pollinating, and you will have fully ripe fruits and flowers on the tree at the same time.
10-9-17_flower.jpg

Dang squirrel snatched the first ripe fruit :mad:. Took a bite and probably thought it was too sour lol.
10-9-17_fruit.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
If they do not produce fruit after flower like Pomegranate consider pollinating them with a Q-tip. Up North as we must bring many species inside and they don't have the ability or availability to pollinate unless they have perfect indoor conditions and honest it is no huge deal unless you want to see fruit. Nice to see the bloom and thank you for sharing :)

Grimmy
It has produced fruit in the past, but either it just falls off or the squirrels snip it off, just to be a-holes.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Them Citrus trees has very similar flowers. My Calamondin which is producing another flush of flowers right now. The cool thing about Calamondin is they're self pollinating, and you will have fully ripe fruits and flowers on the tree at the same time.
View attachment 163424

Dang squirrel snatched the first ripe fruit :mad:. Took a bite and probably thought it was too sour lol.
View attachment 163425
I have a Calamondin orange also, and for some reason, the squirrels leave the fruits alone. They taste terrible, but it's fun to see a tree with a bunch of little oranges, and the blooms smell wonderful.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
blooms smell wonderful.
Really??! I never found the smell to be pleasant lol. My aunt used to have a kumquat on her S. facing window and every time its in full bloom the whole room smells like crap!

Do lemons have the same smelling flowers?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Really??! I never found the smell to be pleasant lol. My aunt used to have a kumquat on her S. facing window and every time its in full bloom the whole room smells like crap!

Do lemons have the same smelling flowers?
I have a regular lemon, and a Meyer lemon. They have a stronger, sweeter smell, in my opinion, than the orange. But if you don't like the orange blossom smell, you might think they smell like crap too! ;)

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I believe the Tea Olive has the most pleasant smell I know off. Subtle yet distinctive.
I have never heard of a Tea Olive, but will look into it. I seem to have an affinity for things that flower and smell nice :).

Reactions: Vin

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
My Calamondin which is producing another flush of flowers right now. The cool thing about Calamondin is they're self pollinating, and you will have fully ripe fruits and flowers on the tree at the same time.

They taste too bitter to eat, but I use the fruit to make really great orange marmalade. My tree is in a pot, so I can bring it in when the temperature falls below 28 F. I thought I would train it as a bonsai, but we like the fruit too much!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have never heard of a Tea Olive, but will look into it. I seem to have an affinity for things that flower and smell nice :).

Tea olive - Osmanthus fragrans - the cultivar 'Fudingzhu' is probably the most free flowering of the Osmanthus commonly available in the USA. Leaves don't reduce easily enough, and growth has an irregular spacing for internodes. a section of short internodes, with a cluster of buds, then a long internode with no buds, then a dense cluster of buds. Gives an awkward looking tree. Grow one as an ornamental house plant. They do well in bright shade. I never let mine get full sun. Summer outdoors, bring it into orchid's light garden before a hard freeze. They are only hardy to USDA zone 8.

My 'Fudingzhu' is usually in bloom beginning July or August, and will continuously have blooms open until late May. All winter long it will keep flowering. But I am not bothering to use it as bonsai, it is a ''houseplant'', and I can smell it 6 feet away. Very pleasant. You often will smell it long before you see the flowers. The flowers are quite small, pack a powerful, but sweet light perfume. Dried flowers have been used by Chinese to flavor tea and some other drinks and food.

Osmanthus heterophyllus has small holly like leaves, and does turn up as bonsai in some photos from Japan and as Chinese penjing. It has similar, sweet smelling flower, and is more cold hardy, maybe USDA zone 7 or maybe 6b. It needs more sun to do well, and is considered somewhat reluctant to bloom. It is rare to see a potted heterophyllus in bloom. There are another dozen Osmanthus species, I know very little about them. And a number of hybrids. The genus Osmanthus is related to Olea, though not a close Olea relative.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My Toyo No Shiki Quince throws an odd bloom a few times a year. It does a nice full Spring bloom in Spring like a Cherry tree followed by Leaf - the blooms on these are always a different color or colors(s).
This bloom appeared at the base but is actually an inch or so above the trunk line a few days ago still to open more - I bury the roots and trunk a bit for Winter -

IMG_1548.JPG

Grimmy

Top Bottom