Flowers 2017

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
That is really beautiful. I have a few orchids, so just wondering. Please don't take offense, but I've never seen a real blue orchid. Is that one they put the dye in the water, or is it really that color?
Purple not blue. There is no blue orchid. This is a vanda orchid

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nicely done, Princess Mikasa?
There are a few, very few blue orchids. Some of the Australian terrestrials like the genus Thelymetria, or sun orchids have the pigment delphinium, which is true blue. Sadly they are difficult to grow. Vanda, and most of commonly available orchids only have anthocyanin pigments, which can look blue-ish as in the Vanda above, to purple, to pink, and when layered over a yellow background can give orange to scarlet red. But never gets to true blue. Cattleya blue is actually more a gray violet, quite disappointing in reality. Your Orchid Trivia for the Day.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hello Wilson!

I cut mine back to help build some structure, just like you said, to one or two leaf pairs, but I have or had about six weeks before growing slows down or stops. You can cut them if you have enough time for the new growth to harden off before winter arrives, if it does not have time to harden, it (the new growth) will not survive the winter. So what I am saying is, yes, if there is enough time for the new growth to harden, if not, just wait until late winter or spring.

Hope it helps,

John

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Wilson!

I cut mine back to help build some structure, just like you said, to one or two leaf pairs, but I have or had about six weeks before growing slows down or stops. You can cut them if you have enough time for the new growth to harden off before winter arrives, if it does not have time to harden, it (the new growth) will not survive the winter. So what I am saying is, yes, if there is enough time for the new growth to harden, if not, just wait until late winter or spring.

Hope it helps,

John
Always appreciated, thanks for your help.

Top Bottom