Finished trees ??? Yeah Right !!!

For the record, I am all for showing trees. What I questioned is having someone else (a professional) working on my trees to prep for show. This IMHO robs me the opportunity to learn and the honor even if the tree wins. I know it sounds self centered (and it is) but I do this for fun and having others do the work and glory is not fun for me.

I too learn from just attending a show, just seeing what others do to their trees helps. Hearing the judges critique trees is (for me) the show high light. :) It boggles me that there's not more people around when it is going.

Having someone else do your finish styling does seem a bit like plagiarism unless all participating parties are listed as artists.

I know lots of people argue that it is all about the tree and the artist doesn't matter. Maybe true to them but not to me. Nice words and sound very noble but I actually do not believe them either. Just the cynical me. ;)

For the record, I am all for showing trees. What I questioned is having someone else (a professional) working on my trees to prep for show. This IMHO robs me the opportunity to learn and the honor even if the tree wins. I know it sounds self centered (and it is) but I do this for fun and having others do the work and glory is not fun for me.

I too learn from just attending a show, just seeing what others do to their trees helps. Hearing the judges critique trees is (for me) the show high light. :) It boggles me that there's not more people around when it is going.

If I ever have something near show quality I would certainly consider having someone with more expertise help and/or finish the prep and hopefully learn that step. Honest, there is one prominent person in the Bonsai Industry not to far from me that I will never visit, purchase from, nor study/learn under because of past experience. I would however consider many of the people here that just plain have "shown" their own work. I think it would be a fun way to learn and enjoy the plant even more :cool:

If I ever have something near show quality I would certainly consider having someone with more expertise help and/or finish the prep and hopefully learn that step. Honest, there is one prominent person in the Bonsai Industry not to far from me that I will never visit, purchase from, nor study/learn under because of past experience. I would however consider many of the people here that just plain have "shown" their own work. I think it would be a fun way to learn and enjoy the plant even more :cool:

Bad experience with Jim? The guy seems so nice, I dont know how that happened.

Bad experience with Jim? The guy seems so nice, I dont know how that happened.

Not Jim, perhaps you could give me his info? It is not my wish to do business with another person but their Spouse is such a kind and good person I prefer not to share that info in public chat. ;)

Back to Stacy. I like your pretty princess (high maintenance) analogy LOL

Imagine how many wire cutters you will damage now! :eek: ROFLMAO (kidding my friend)

Seriously, I can see it becoming a burden to keep so many show ready trees. Colin L. told me he won't keep more than 60 and will purge before taking in more. I believe his target is 30 eventually. I heard the same from several advanced bonsai artists as well. Kathy S. even decided to let go of her collection IIRC because she cannot tend to them with all the traveling she had to do. (must be sad)

I dread the day this hobby becomes work...because it is likely the countdown start for me to quit.

It will only become work if you let it.
Always remember the reasons why you do it. Don't let anyone convince you otherwisw.
Dont take on more than you can or are willing to handle or you can begin to resent it.

Always remember the reasons why you do it. Don't let anyone convince you otherwisw.
Dont take on more than you can or are willing to handle or you can begin to resent it.

I replanted 87+ trees on the property this past Spring as I did not to make it "work" and not enjoyable and honest although the weather is tough this year I find myself smiling more then I have in the past 3-4 years ;)

If you plan to exhibit your trees, it will be work. That doesnt mean you dont like working with trees. As has been described, the tedious detail work required to bring a NICE tree to AWESOME is not something you do while sipping an umbrella drink and shooting the breeze with your wife. It is serious work and needs your concentration. SO the way to not let it become work is to not exhibit. Many here are not at the stage of AWESOME trees, but many are and they work hard to do it. Make no mistake about it. However, the difference is what some consider work is what others consider a needed step in the move upward.

Back
Top Bottom