Filling gaps in a toolset.

Desert Rat

Yamadori
Reaction score
I've pieced together a basic toolset based off my readings here. I currently have mostly 8" Tian tools: Concave cutter, knob cutter (that I hardly use), jin pliers, and wire cutters. Rounding out the toolset are a handmedown set of curved forceps, handmedown root rake, and a small pair of Fiskars leaf cutting scissors.

So far, this set has served me pretty well, but there's two gaps I "think" I need to fill. I would like either a large 11" cutter, or a small 6.5" cutter. The large cutter obviously for larger branches, and the small cutter for the branches that are too small for my existing concave cutters, and too large for the Fiskars scissors.

Which tool *might* get used more? I will probably be looking at Tian stainless tools for the purchase, to match the set. I'm afraid that I'd obsess over a non-matching tool and think about it too much- my wife points this out all the time.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have bigger trees, so I added 11" concaves and root cutters to my (mostly) 8" tools. I stay with black steel. Stainless is less maintenance but doesn't hold an edge. I find that I use these 6 tools the most:
scissors, wire cutters, knob cutters, chopstick, pliers, tweezers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 32

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Blue tape is just a marking, when working with a lot of people the tools get mixed up.
I would add the branch cutter to those six. I use that a lot too.

Desert Rat

Yamadori
Reaction score
I should mention, there's also a set of sharpening stones in my toolset. Stainless does take some work to keep sharp, but they also look nice. I don't (usually) mind the $10 premium over similar carbon steel tools in purchase price.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian, What's with the blue tape?

The best to use is colored electrical tape. Inexpensive, several colors and redly available at Lowes/etc. Others use rubber handle dips, fingernail polish, but I think the electrical tape is best.

Oh and happy birthday and many, many more.

Top Bottom