Filling a big pot with a Ming

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Iv been looking to use up this 30 year old pot now for a while but never got to anything so I figured this spring I'd get my Ming Aralia out of the plastic and into a real pot. The ming is all connected within I BELIEVE if not the little guy I might be able to separate but I just want to have it as a clump. It would go from small, medium and canopy and as far as roots the top visible ones are quit nice and thick.

I have chopped 3 times and got drunk one night and was playing with the small one and bent it to far and it snapped about a month ago so I just put some wood glue on it and left it and it survived but overall I really like this tree and think it has potential :) 20180115_203318.jpg 20180115_200949.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is working for me!

A tuffin' but I think you can nail it...

The only thing eeew is that one transition.
And its almost hidden!

Nice!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is working for me!

A tuffin' but I think you can nail it...

The only thing eeew is that one transition.
And its almost hidden!

Nice!

Sorce
Yea I think after a nice clean up a muchly needed root prune and a beautiful pot will put this Ming in its place for an eye pleaser :) Im gonna have to get rid of what I call the drunk branch even thouh I'm kind of attached to it since it had the will to live and push new shoots where I wanted them but I'll have to think about it :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The plant is much too tall for that pot. It will look rather "off" because of the height vs width of the pot.

The plant needs to be reduced by at least half, probably more and a new canopy regrown at the lower height. You will probably also have a lot of work to do on the rootball to get it into such a substantially shallower container...Good luck.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see this as one of those rainforest giants...
Like an Avatar tree....

2018-01-16-10-09-21.jpg

The lower canopy speaks of where the smaller trees end.

148307531.jpg

Wether or not the material will cooperatw I don't know....but the trunks differentials pull me in enough to wamt to see it work.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The plant is much too tall for that pot. It will look rather "off" because of the height vs width of the pot.

The plant needs to be reduced by at least half, probably more and a new canopy regrown at the lower height. You will probably also have a lot of work to do on the rootball to get it into such a substantially shallower container...Good luck.
The tree will not get reduced lol I'll have to post some pics of tall trees in pots...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
20170901_122335.jpg 20170901_122949.jpg 20170901_122414.jpg

Pics taken at Bonsai West in Massachusetts. Maybe I should tell them that the trees are to high for the pots? Idk people drive me crazy you should do this and that for Aesthetics when in reality I think people should be aiming for their own creativity, forget the books and what you have learned and trying to copy other people and trying to fit in cause you know that's what we all have been aiming for lets be real... I have threw most of the knowledge and eye pleasing crap out the doors, I encourage newbs and tell them one day that will be an awesome tree if it's not already. If there if one thing that erks me is bonsai "think they know it allz" iv meet a ton I just wish more people were more laid back and easy going oh well end rant.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I see this as one of those rainforest giants...
Like an Avatar tree....

View attachment 174293

The lower canopy speaks of where the smaller trees end.

View attachment 174294

Wether or not the material will cooperatw I don't know....but the trunks differentials pull me in enough to wamt to see it work.

Sorce
Love this picture

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 174392 View attachment 174393 View attachment 174394

Pics taken at Bonsai West in Massachusetts. Maybe I should tell them that the trees are to high for the pots? Idk people drive me crazy you should do this and that for Aesthetics when in reality I think people should be aiming for their own creativity, forget the books and what you have learned and trying to copy other people and trying to fit in cause you know that's what we all have been aiming for lets be real... I have threw most of the knowledge and eye pleasing crap out the doors, I encourage newbs and tell them one day that will be an awesome tree if it's not already. If there if one thing that erks me is bonsai "think they know it allz" iv meet a ton I just wish more people were more laid back and easy going oh well end rant.

um, be irked if you want (and threw basics and "eye pleasing crap" out the door), but you apparently aren't really "Seeing" what's going on with the pot you chose and the tree you're putting in it. Bitch all you want about how you find other people's creativity infringing on your own superiority, but this is a simple art issue. I hardly know it all, but I know a mismatched tree and pot when I see it, and I'd bet I'm not alone.

The pot you have chosen is simply not in character with the tree you have planted in it.

Notice in ALL the photos you posted that the pots are NOT DEEP OVALS. They are either flat slabs, lower rectangles or in the case of the drum pot, rustic with simple lines. And in the case of the first tree--the pot is a bit too small, but more appropriate for the tree in it.

The longer, lower profiles are used to accentuate the trees' character---long straightish lines and the use of flatter and more open proportions accentuate taller trunks. Without the added space and proportions those flatter, straighter containers provide, trees looked cramped and unstable--as yours does. Deep ovals tend to accentuate more rounded canopies and shorter trees.

The pots in your pics are MUCH longer than the pot you have chosen which gives the eye a more pleasing ratio of height to length. The pot you have chosen is not wide enough and it's too deep and heavy to provide any of that visual relief and reconciliation for the eye.

Forget the books all you want, but at least understand WHY they say what they say--they harness basic human visual cues that are mostly unconscious instinctive "instructions" for the brain that convey coherent visualization--in other words, ignoring them can make the difference between a tropical houseplant in a cramped pot and bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
um, be irked if you want (and threw basics and "eye pleasing crap" out the door), but you apparently aren't really "Seeing" what's going on with the pot you chose and the tree you're putting in it. Bitch all you want about how you find other people's creativity infringing on your own superiority, but this is a simple art issue. I hardly know it all, but I know a mismatched tree and pot when I see it, and I'd bet I'm not alone.

The pot you have chosen is simply not in character with the tree you have planted in it.

Notice in ALL the photos you posted that the pots are NOT DEEP OVALS. They are either flat slabs, lower rectangles or in the case of the drum pot, rustic with simple lines. And in the case of the first tree--the pot is a bit too small, but more appropriate for the tree in it.

The longer, lower profiles are used to accentuate the trees' character---long straightish lines and the use of flatter and more open proportions accentuate taller trunks. Without the added space and proportions those flatter, straighter containers provide, trees looked cramped and unstable--as yours does. Deep ovals tend to accentuate more rounded canopies and shorter trees.

The pots in your pics are MUCH longer than the pot you have chosen which gives the eye a more pleasing ratio of height to length. The pot you have chosen is not wide enough and it's too deep and heavy to provide any of that visual relief and reconciliation for the eye.

Forget the books all you want, but at least understand WHY they say what they say--they harness basic human visual cues that are mostly unconscious instinctive "instructions" for the brain that convey coherent visualization--in other words, ignoring them can make the difference between a tropical houseplant in a cramped pot and bonsai.
Bitch? Not bitching seems to me your being a little donkey. Pots I could care less about. I' not the type to spend and arm and a leg in this hobby unless I come across a deal which this pot was a bargain at 10 bucks. Maybe one day I'll listen to ya and throw it into another pot :)

Have a good day.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@MountainExplorer ,

may I extend an olive branch.
Here is the last effort we had on the Ming Aralia.
As far as was able to go before it passed away.

Getting ready to start anew.

It does make a beautiful effort though.
Good Day
Anthony

This was really sad, as when it was in full leaf it was gorgeous
Trying again.

By the way the mother plant had a huge 8" trunk, at an abandoned house.
arailia (2).jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I was figuring a MountainExplorer wasn't a rich man, a rich man doesn't Explore the Mountain, for he has nothing to seek.

A rich man pays a MountainExplorer to guide him safely up the Mountain.

It's only about what the MountainExplorer can find on his way.

The Blue Pot. .....
Much prettier than the current pot!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@MountainExplorer ,

may I extend an olive branch.
Here is the last effort we had on the Ming Aralia.
As far as was able to go before it passed away.

Getting ready to start anew.

It does make a beautiful effort though.
Good Day
Anthony

This was really sad, as when it was in full leaf it was gorgeous
Trying again.

By the way the mother plant had a huge 8" trunk, at an abandoned house.
View attachment 174497
Very nice. It's nice to see people growing Mings I feel like they are underrated :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was figuring a MountainExplorer wasn't a rich man, a rich man doesn't Explore the Mountain, for he has nothing to seek.

A rich man pays a MountainExplorer to guide him safely up the Mountain.

It's only about what the MountainExplorer can find on his way.

The Blue Pot. .....
Much prettier than the current pot!

Sorce
That's all thats necessary :) i guess people feel the need to babble on about how ugly and unpleasing ones tree might look and how it doesn't fit "the look" of Bonsai. Thank you I appreciate your feedback.

Top Bottom