Ficus leaves turning brown

NOVAbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I know that tiger bark ficus can drop leaves when you change their conditions, but I have had mine indoors for a bit now and under lights and just recently its leaves are turning brown and dropping. I also have a cutting I made last year under the same light and conditions and it seems to be doing ok. Does anybody know what would cause the leaves to change brown like this (see pics) and drop?

Attachments

• tempImageIfP9Tw.png
    tempImageIfP9Tw.png
    491.5 KB · Views: 22
  • ficus 2.JPG
    ficus 2.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 22

Chop_n_Change

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like possibly sun/light burn to me. How close to the light source? Ficus give up their leaves pretty easily, so any burn will cause the tree to kick off the leaf.
I would also check the soil and make sure it isn't too wet/overwatered. This time of year if you don't see new growth coming on you really have to be on point with letting the soil dry out a bit between waterings.

outside of those 2 things, I have seen similar reactions on ficus if they get exposed to cold, but indoors anything above 55 and you should be fine. i have my ficus outside in a greenhouse that fluctuates between 52-58 with no issues.

FWIW, I am a long time lurker, but an avid practitioner of Bosai as well and 75+ tropical house plants that blur the line of bonsai. if its not light or water, Scale insects are the culprit during the winters indoors for me. check near the base of the petiole of the leaf for scale.

Last edited:

NOVAbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am careful not to over water to the point that the soil is mostly dry between watering (maybe to dry)? I have thr light close but it has been under it for 2-3 months and just now started to drop leaves...Maybe its colder and therefore less humid? Like I said I have another cutting sitting right next to it and its doing fine...The only difference i can think of is that the cutting is in slower draining soil.

Chop_n_Change

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
if anyone has a magic sauce for Ficus indoors, I would love to hear about it. Mine in the greenhouse sit in relative humidity about 85-90% and they are holding onto leaves. compared to last year the same trees indoors were dropping leaves like crazy indoors (i have forced air heat that really dries the air out in the winter). humidifiers, or humidity tray under the tree can help raise the humidity around the tree. The leaf color looks like burn, but that could be secondary to the issue of humidity -- being in VA your heater must be running pretty hard this week.

vs. the cutting, the distance from the light source combined with a slower draining soil is probably the difference.

NOVAbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea it may be the humidity because I have a thermometer that measures it and it has dropped off recently with the cold weather.

Maybe I will also try to keep it a bit more watered and some drip trays around to help....thanks for your input.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
under lights
What type of lights? Some types could literally be touching leaves and not burn them, others could burn being as close to a foot of the foliage.

exposed to cold
This was my first thought, and then second was too wet, but these don't seem to be the issue so I don't know either. It could be burn though. I've seen similar splotching on mine before, wondered what it was, but it was only one leaf at a time so I wasn't too concerned.

@NOVAbonsai What percentage of the plant is dropping leaves?

I would say probably 30% or less is just environmental stress and is normal, as the plant is adjusting. 30%-60% dropping is cause for concern but could again be the plant adjusting or is indicative of a major issue. Anything probably over 60% dropping, I would be a little worried.

Check the new growth and use that as a guide to health. If the younger leaves and buds look healthy, you're probably fine and just might have to get the heat, humidity, water, and light variables under control. If your new growth is turning brown or black, then there's definitely a major issue going on you'll want to do something about it. Your issues could be as easy as getting your watering under control with the drier forced air.

Maybe a couple pics of the plants could help us further?

I live in Richmond, so similar weather to you. All of my ficus and other tropicals definitely saw multiple nights in the low 40s and probably a couple hours of upper 30s this fall and winter. Surprisingly, none of mine have really dropped any leaves since coming in permanently.

Also, I haven't been able to set up my lights yet because of a roof issue, so all of plants are sitting on the living room floor on top of plastic... They are getting HORRIBLE light, as the only two windows are north-west facing... I really can't understand why mine haven't dropped but a couple older leaves since coming in...

Good luck!

NOVAbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's crazy that yours aren't dropping leaves after experiencing the cold and having barely any light.

As to the percentage of the tree that's dropping its all over and not just one area which makes me think about the burning by the light because there is a lower branch that's further away that's dropping equal to the others. I'm starting to lean towards needing to water a bit more and create humidity. How humid are your ficus in Richmond? Anything special to bring the humidity up?

I just went and looked and although there isn't much new growth the buds appear to be healthy and green. Also I have a Brazilian rain tree right next to it that is growing like crazy.

As to my lights they are LED. 100W that is 'like 1000W' or so they say. I just want light to get through winter so I can put them back outside. Speaking of which...When do you put yours outside in Richmond? I have waited till Temps won't go below 55F at night but it sounds like you are a little more bold.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Burning from the light would only burn the foliage closet to the source and not further down, so it doesn't really sound like it. I've never used LEDs (I use HO fluorescents and HIDs) so I can't recommend a safe distance to the canopy, but a few inches shouldn't be too bad with only a 100w. I have heard of bleaching of the leaves, which seems common with some LED lights if they're too close.

Inside, my plants aren't getting much humidity, I keep my house on the cool side also. Some people do use humidifiers around their plants, but I've never messed with it.

The buds being healthy is a good sign. I wouldn't be overly concerned about humidity inside unless they are being directly blasted by the vents. I think the more important thing is getting a handle on their water needs.

Last spring I didn't put mine outside permanently until probably early June because of the cold spring we had. Typically when night time lows don't dip below mid 50s is a good rule of thumb for taking them outside. Ficus are pretty resilient, they would probably handle upper 40s and low 50s at night no problem after being inside all winter. I am more cautious about putting them out too early than bringing them in too late. Haha but I guess it all depends on how long you'll put up with the shuffle of bringing them in at night and taking them out in the morning... That's why mine saw some cold nights:oops:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My ficus are growing almost right up against the lights, no damage. They are actually growing better under the lights than they did outside.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mine sit in a big south facing window. Potted in 100% akadama. I water them every day, or every other day if it’s cloudy. They’ve all continued to put on new growth since coming in for the winter.

Cheers!
16F6F7CE-69A9-40B6-95A6-3170EFB08D6A.jpeg

NOVAbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok with that being said I think I am under watering considering I have lots of light on them and fast draining soil. I'm going to up the watering and see what happens.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, IF you have them in bonsai substrate I would err on the side of over watering than under watering. In my experience, letting a ficus “dry out” too much, even once, can really set it back.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just read through thread because I also have my ficus leaves turning brown. This tree is always outside in full sun. Any ideas. I've had the tree for years with no issues until now. 20211109_175817.jpg20211109_175817.jpg20211109_175900.jpg20211109_175912.jpg

NOVAbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I ended up watering more and it solved the issue. I think moving my plant indoors I figured it would have needed less water but the bonsai soil dried fast and and plant was under light so it still wanted to grow.

As for yours...It appears to be outdoors already and in fast draining soil. Did you change your watering habits?

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ended up watering more and it solved the issue. I think moving my plant indoors I figured it would have needed less water but the bonsai soil dried fast and and plant was under light so it still wanted to grow.

As for yours...It appears to be outdoors already and in fast draining soil. Did you change your watering habits?
No I didn't change my watering. I had thrips earlier this summer but this looks different. Should I remove brown leaves?

NOVAbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know. It could be something different than mine because you didn't change anything....Cold temps?

The new growth looks healthy....

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know. It could be something different than mine because you didn't change anything....Cold temps?

The new growth looks healthy....
No cold temps here yet. My research tells me maybe too much water but not to confident on that diagnosis. Hopefully someone else will chime in will a remedy. Thanks Nova.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree bounced back quickly. Just wanted to update for other people that may have a similar problem. I didn't do anything except careful watering. Not sure watering was the problem but that is my best guess.

20220304_200518.jpg20220304_200436.jpg20220304_200451.jpg

Top Bottom