Fertilizer for jbp and junipers

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm currently using dyna-gro 7-9-5 for a jbp and some junipers. 1/4 teaspoon mixed in a gallon jug. How often should I use this, or what I could use as better fertilizer, for max growth and health ?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm currently using dyna-gro 7-9-5 for a jbp and some junipers. 1/4 teaspoon mixed in a gallon jug. How often should I use this, or what I could use as better fertilizer, for max growth and health ?
I pump miracle grow to my trees.
At least twice the amount prescribed on the box.
Once per week for pines and junipers.
Mir-acid once a month same dose.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you think about using dyna grow ?
I have no experience with it.
I go by Walter Palls formula for watering and fertilizing.
Inorganic ferts for inorganic substrates.
Water every day.
Rain or shine.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just Google Walter Pall watering article.
I don't know how to post a link.
Thanks. I'll look into it. I hear so many things about pines fertilizing, like fish oil and else. I haven't seen too much growth or difference in my trees using dyna-gro.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So many kinds of fert, and even more opinions! I agree with @M. Frary chemical ferts, I am also using organics in cheese cloth on top of the soil. I am curious about zero nitrogen fertilizer for pines, as described by Colin Lewis.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about someone share information about how much growth they get with the fertiliser and when they use.
Mike, for example, how much does the fertiliser cause the pines or junipers to entend ?

The Japanese articles in Bonsai Today say to use - lots - of fertiliser, but not how much as in tablespoons per gallon ?
Thanks to anyone.
Good Day
Anthony

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
How about someone share information about how much growth they get with the fertiliser and when they use.
Mike, for example, how much does the fertiliser cause the pines or junipers to entend ?

The Japanese articles in Bonsai Today say to use - lots - of fertiliser, but not how much as in tablespoons per gallon ?
Thanks to anyone.
Good Day
Anthony

The amount of growth will vary wildly depending on climate. For instance, in your climate you could expect 2-3x the growth someone in a Northern climate might get... Regardless of ferts...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I suspect you'll be underfeeding your trees using just the dyna-gro though I don't know if you're feeding full strength or not- it should give proper mixing directions on the label? As a rule, we hobbyists have mostly underfed our trees, at least since moving our soils to more inorganic types. My fertilizing regimen is all encompassing- I place solid ferts (plantone) directly on the soil, I feed every 7-10 days with full strength miracle gro and fish emulsion, and my watering hose has an injector attached that introduces trace amounts of fertilizer while I water. More refined trees get less solid and liquid feed then those that need to be pumped up.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suspect you'll be underfeeding your trees using just the dyna-gro though I don't know if you're feeding full strength or not- it should give proper mixing directions on the label? As a rule, we hobbyists have mostly underfed our trees, at least since moving our soils to more inorganic types. My fertilizing regimen is all encompassing- I place solid ferts (plantone) directly on the soil, I feed every 7-10 days with full strength miracle gro and fish emulsion, and my watering hose has an injector attached that introduces trace amounts of fertilizer while I water. More refined trees get less solid and liquid feed then those that need to be pumped up.
I'm diluting 1/2 teaspoon in a gallon water as shown on label. Perhaps I should switch to miracle gro and fish emulsion. How do you calculate your doses ?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm diluting 1/2 teaspoon in a gallon water as shown on label.
You said 1/4 tsp in the OP which I thought was an odd amount to add. Any way, you're feeding full strength, which is good... I'd do this weekly. Also, consider some kid of fert placed on the soil surface to give the plants something every time you water. I use plantone, but there are many other choices.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You said 1/4 tsp in the OP which I thought was an odd amount to add. Any way, you're feeding full strength, which is good... I'd do this weekly.
I'm using it everyday. Also for misting. Could it be too much ?

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_0170.JPG IMG_0170.JPG
Maybe... is it supposed to be used every day (again, what does the label say)? I'm thinking weekly...
Well. I don't water the junipers and jbp everyday. But the sageretia theezans needs to be kept moisted.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The label says to use it daily.
I thought that using daily could be harmful for the trees, and it be better to only use it like twice a week. What else could I use to fertilize better ? Or it would be too much adding up more fertilizer ?

Top Bottom