Fall Fertilizing

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
Watching Ryan Neil’s fall fundamentals archive video and he mentions we fertilise heavily every 4 weeks during fall to prepare the tree for the winter and next years growth. Is this true for all species and certain countries?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know who we is but I give them the fertilizer every week until the leaves fall off. Then I do it once more.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Full strength every Saturday, sometimes I throw a lol extra superbloom in there. And lots of fish pellets... To make sure
Screenshot_2017-09-26-23-54-20.png

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Watching Ryan Neil’s fall fundamentals archive video and he mentions we fertilise heavily every 4 weeks during fall to prepare the tree for the winter and next years growth. Is this true for all species and certain countries?
I think that's a good policy. Especially for flowering and fruiting trees. (I'm not sure about the ''prepare for the winter'' bit though)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. (I'm not sure about the ''prepare for the winter'' bit though)

I am starting to see the setting of proper terminal buds for winter as a highly positive sign of health.

I see fall fert as the plumper of those buds.

In that way, I understand this as true.

A winter jacket of sorts.

Sorce

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
Also i think its to protect the tree from freezing conditions so they store it in the vascular system

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I am starting to see the setting of proper terminal buds for winter as a highly positive sign of health.

I see fall fert as the plumper of those buds.

In that way, I understand this as true.

A winter jacket of sorts.

Sorce
I see that as preparing for the following spring not the winter. But then our winters are not cold so maybe it's different there but I can't see the mechanism were gathering nutrients prepares the tree for the winter. It's mainly hormone production that does that. And that's brought about by shorter day length and/or colder weather.

cole morton

Yamadori
Reaction score
I was told that this time of year the best thing to do is stop using nitrogen fertilizer, and only use 0-10-10 for root strength. Can anyone tell me if this is advice is correct?

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I read that back in the day everyone started burning coal for heat in the fall and winter. This put nitrogen and carbon in the air.... This led to plants not needing any extra nitrogen and hence the theory of more phosferous and less or no nitrogen was born.... Not sure if i recited that correctly but its something like that... P does excellent fuel for roots and blooms. I use to follow this "rule" but, now just do a balanced fert all year with minor or no diffrent results, if anything adda little extra superbloom to the watering can for the root food

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hormone production

Yes yes, hence, not just buds, but proper terminal buds.

Proper terminal buds that I would assume do have a "less confused" hormone signal.

Them plump buds, proper terminal buds or other...
When they plump...
I see them as full of "antifreeze"...

And we sho need that here!

The only way for these trees to prepare for spring....
Is to make it through the bloody 60 freeze/thaw cycles in the winter!

Sorce

Top Bottom