Fall 2016 Contest....Who's in?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Oh cool! I didn't even know you were so close...close? Maybe not!

I can't lie...I have very little free time and I already owe my guys in Winsconsin and Michigan a trip....and me and @faker still gotta get to The Hidden Gardens...not to mention making pots for @Mellow Mullet

I'm totally in though!

By the time I can do it...maybe my trees will actually be good too!
My youngest is 4 so in 14 years the latest!

You're on my list!

Again...the composition is Awesome!

Sorce

Yeah, I will be needing those pots come spring. Tighten up!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Almost ready to enter. Got my pot today and my little Blue Star Juney is smiling pretty in our record high temps.
Ready to enter soon when I get some fine tuning done and real pics.
MarkIMG_20161017_180717181.jpg

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! A Cheng wen Chen pot. First one I've seen with a tree in it.
I think when I clean/oil up the bark it will look good. Not showing well in the phone pics are some touches of blue/green in the glaze. Around the rim and a touch on the sides which I hope to compliment the Blue/Green in this lil tree. Awesome pot! Very happy with it and more valuable than the tree in it. Together they add up to fun:)
$52 shipped from 99cent bonsai on Fbook
Free tree, free moss, 52 dollar Ching Wen pot for a first contest entry... priceless:) I know the pot will survive! LOL
Just thought they liked each other. I'm sure they would have gotten along better in spring but I'll babysit through fall and hope for the best.

Last edited:

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Almost ready to enter. Got my pot today and my little Blue Star Juney is smiling pretty in our record high temps.
Ready to enter soon when I get some fine tuning done and real pics.
MarkView attachment 120545
Nice! I've been wanting one of his pots, but haven't seen the right size / shape combo for the tree it's intended for.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! I've been wanting one of his pots, but haven't seen the right size / shape combo for the tree it's intended for.
Auction ended Thursday night and arrived well packed today. Love it!
As I said befor, worth more than the tree. Maybe gives it a fighting chance.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
A little update, I guess I should do stand alone thread but maybe tomorrow.

My tree is doing quite well, it has backbudded pretty well so far and the wire on the smallest branches is already cutting in. I think I may have to remove it this week and re-do it?
What I did notice and this is the reason I tried to do it in two ways is the ones I cage/air wired have not cut in at all yet. So that is learning by observation, even though that is what it is supposed to do. :p

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
His pots are really fair priced and very available.
Just ordered 3 of em!!! This being one of them. Says they're fired at 2300 and change degrees. Does that help make it frost resistant, or is higher temps required? Or should I just play it safe and take the trees out of pots for winter ground storage?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-10-25-14-37-24.png
    Screenshot_2016-10-25-14-37-24.png
    256.9 KB · Views: 31

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got what I think are the final pictures today. There is always something that could be better i guess. Have to look at them over coffee instead of wine.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just ordered 3 of em!!! This being one of them. Says they're fired at 2300 and change degrees. Does that help make it frost resistant, or is higher temps required? Or should I just play it safe and take the trees out of pots for winter ground storage?
Any earthenware or stoneware should be completely vitrified at that temp. Most don't even require that high of temp.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got what I think are the final pictures today. There is always something that could be better i guess. Have to look at them over coffee instead of wine.
Looks better over wine... but entered after the 1 month instant bonsai treatment. Good fun and an excuse to break the rules of proper and patient horticulture.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Anything cone 6 or higher is considered safe outdoors if properly fired. 2300F is cone 9, 2232F is cone 6. There are extreme situations or odd situations that could damage them anyways like severely root bound plants in an inward lipped pot frozen for an extended period. That is odd however and those should be good to go.

Grimmy

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @Jaberwky17 I had to share this photo from the summit of a nearby mountain, when I saw your tree I realized it's like you styled it from this view. The tree on the left has been in numerous photos from this mountain. Good work on conveying a nice mountain design!dead head.JPG jaberwky.JPG

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So how many hold outs do we have waiting till the last minute? I know some crafty old foxes will show up with some good trees making mine look like the Stick in Pot.
Who else is entering and still tweaking. I could have worked a bit more but... needed to get it off my to do list.
Lots of great entries so far. I'll be voting from the Florida Keys hoping my trees are alive when I go back north.

Top Bottom