ERC vs Shimpaku BVF throwdown

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Utter nonsense, isn't it?
It is called a cedar because the wood is like cedar. There are arborvitae (thuja) out here that are known as Western red cedar, thanks to lumber guys, all because the wood is like that of true cedars. And then there is cryptomeria that are Japanese cedar. It doesn't end there, but this is enough already.

That eyeball is freakin' me out man.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
NO they are not Arborvitae, they are Junipers. Page 449 Eastern Red Cedar Michael A. Dirr. A true Cedar does not even grow in North America.
Vance, you keep jumping in there without fully reading what others have said or implicated. Osoyoung said that "There are arborvitae (thuja) out here that are known as Western red cedar". He did not say they are cedars.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, you keep jumping in there without fully reading what others have said or implicated. Osoyoung said that "There are arborvitae (thuja) out here that are known as Western red cedar". He did not say they are cedars.
You are right I misread that last post.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ok...getting back to the actual topic...

@DayDrunk pick yer poison. These two Itoigawa Shimpakus are the same age, 3rd year cuttings.
The first one is smaller, healthier, but wired and in the ground since March:
B1489AE6-AEF6-4406-8F23-F48AE0FC8168.jpeg

The second one is taller, thirsty, starving, and has been in a 2 3/4” nursery container for the last 2 years:
9A3CAE0A-7C11-4AE1-BEF3-B96FB2EB0BF2.jpeg

Which would you like to play against?😜

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok...getting back to the actual topic...

@DayDrunk pick yer poison. These two Itoigawa Shimpakus are the same age, 3rd year cuttings.
The first one is smaller, healthier, but wired and in the ground since March:
View attachment 255254

The second one is taller, thirsty, starving, and has been in a 2 3/4” nursery container for the last 2 years:
View attachment 255256

Which would you like to play against?😜
@DayDrunk, It’s not too late! Say neither!! SAY NEITHER!!!

Runnnnn!!!!!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ladies And Gentlemen....
A6A6EFFC-C8C9-46A9-8335-79614B4E278C.jpeg
In the left corner, Often trained and never conquered. Plucked from the mean fields of Central Georgia and wearing bark and Rubbermaid trunks. Natty Daddy’s Infamous Eastern Red Cedar, known as Juniperus virginiana in the elitist circles.

In the right corner, from champion bloodlines; his daddy hailing from Evergreen Gardenworks, a young whipper snapper in lava and bare-knuckled. BVF’s Itoigawa Shimpaku cutting, known also as Juniperus chinensis the world around.

Gentlemen, best of luck, fight clean, and may the best juniper win.😜

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ladies And Gentlemen....
View attachment 255298
In the left corner, Often trained and never conquered. Plucked from the mean fields of Central Georgia and wearing bark and Rubbermaid trunks. Natty Daddy’s Infamous Eastern Red Cedar, known as Juniperus virginiana in the elitist circles.

In the right corner, from champion bloodlines; his daddy hailing from Evergreen Gardenworks, a young whipper snapper in lava and bare-knuckled. BVF’s Itoigawa Shimpaku cutting, known also as Juniperus chinensis the world around.

Gentlemen, best of luck, fight clean, and may the best juniper win.😜
Too good. 😂😂😂

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's enough meat on both of them to wire them up and call a winner right now.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've just spent the last 5 days driving the Outer Banks National Scenic Byway. I was astonished at the Junipers (ERC) growing there. They're massive and incredibly diverse when it comes to foliage: Mint green, light green, dark green, almost blue ...dense, airy, ....upright, droopy. The ones nearest the road were mostly multi-trunk but I'd imagine SOMEWHERE in all those, the wind and time have worked together to create something interesting.

When my wife and I retire here, I'll get back to you on the specifics. For now, I'll just be entertained by the bludgeoning in this thread.

DayDrunk

Yamadori
Reaction score
When does this rumble officially end?
Guys, I fully realize this is an unwinnable fight for me here. It’s definitely not a styling contest which would be even more ridiculous because I’ve never even wired a tree. The idea for this “contest” came from a recent thread where BVF challenged a guy that was interested in ERC to grow one out for 3 years and he’d show him how much better the Shimpaku grew in those same 3 years. Since he never replied I figured I’d give it a go for him. So there you have it, I imagine we’ll keep this thread updated every so often to show progress over the next 3 years and I fully expect his tree to look much better than mine. I’m not trying to show anyone up here, just a fun friendly contest that maybe some new folks like me with tons of ERC’s around to gain some insight from. Thanks for playing along BVF. 👍🏻

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Guys, I fully realize this is an unwinnable fight for me here. It’s definitely not a styling contest which would be even more ridiculous because I’ve never even wired a tree. The idea for this “contest” came from a recent thread where BVF challenged a guy that was interested in ERC to grow one out for 3 years and he’d show him how much better the Shimpaku grew in those same 3 years. Since he never replied I figured I’d give it a go for him. So there you have it, I imagine we’ll keep this thread updated every so often to show progress over the next 3 years and I fully expect his tree to look much better than mine. I’m not trying to show anyone up here, just a fun friendly contest that maybe some new folks like me with tons of ERC’s around to gain some insight from. Thanks for playing along BVF. 👍🏻
I smell your rope a dope cooking!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

FTR, I took this as the spirit of the challenge from the beginning. And I am eager to compare growth characteristics side by side over time, so I hope yours makes it. PM me your address if you’d like an Itoigawa cutting to grow out as well. I’ll send you one. Having grown both, I think you’ll find the differences to be pretty interesting as they relate to Bonsai training.

Top Bottom