EBIHARA BRANCH RELOCATION

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What fun Serge!! I want to try this just for the challenge. Great horticultural skill and even more joinery. Really interesting. Can’t wait for the next steps.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It’s such a crazy technique, and cool to see another example of it, hope it works out. I remember when it came out in BT and almost couldn’t wrap my head around it. Nice maple too, BTW!

Me too Bri! I could not wrap my head around it either. Although Ebihara had a lot more tricks up his sleeve, this was one that always fascinated me. This is what I term "horticultural acrobatics". Only from the mind of a brilliant mad scientist!!

The next phase will be the REAL challenge. It will require near surgical-like precision. Hope I can pull it off. If not, I will try and have another branch ready.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice Sergio !
never heard of this technique before thnx for sharing!

Oh yes, by now a relatively well known technique although not widely practiced. In part because you have to have the right tree. I suspect done a lot more these days in Japan. I saw it first hand on my first trip to Japan when I went to visit Taisho-en. Mr. Urushibata was giving it a go on a multi-trunk Japanese maple. He was grafting another trunk instead of a branch but same principle.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Me too Bri! I could not wrap my head around it either. Although Ebihara had a lot more tricks up his sleeve, this was one that always fascinated me. This is what I term "horticultural acrobatics". Only from the mind of a brilliant mad scientist!!

The next phase will be the REAL challenge. It will require near surgical-like precision. Hope I can pull it off. If not, I will try and have another branch ready.
That’s what would make me nervous, 3 different steps, each more critical than the last. 3 operations with only one bite at the apple!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What fun Serge!! I want to try this just for the challenge. Great horticultural skill and even more joinery. Really interesting. Can’t wait for the next steps.

Yep... right up your alley! 😂

Phase 2 will be the real challenge! Phase one by comparison easy peasy!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well done! Can you take a photo with the whole tree in the frame and the branch in the new location? I can't really tell where in the tree you are placing it.

The plan is to graft it here Juds (red arrow). Green arrow indicates where the branch originated from. Not the whole branch just a portion of it.

Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 9.16.26 AM.png

Last edited:

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Excited to see you give it a shot.

Outside of Ebihara, and Merrigioli talking about it in Bonsai Maples, I dont know if its been attempted or documented in the west.

It will probably make a good article one day 😉

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did not know there was a video made of it? Do you have the source or link perhaps?
I have looked and looked to find it and I cannot. It was in black and white. I can tell you that the peg was carved to fit the tree perfectly. It looked like he was making furniture. The branch that he moved was completely developed too. I couldn’t believe that he did it. It also looked like the branch was bigger than the whip, maybe twice as thick.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Excited to see you give it a shot.

Outside of Ebihara, and Merrigioli talking about it in Bonsai Maples, I dont know if its been attempted or documented in the west.

It will probably make a good article one day 😉

Perhaps Boon may have done it already? Tagging @Adair M here. But at least I wanted to document my process clearly for the greater good hopefully.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have looked and looked to find it and I cannot. It was in black and white. I can tell you that the peg was carved to fit the tree perfectly. It looked like he was making furniture. The branch that he moved was completely developed too. I couldn’t believe that he did it. It also looked like the branch was bigger than the whip, maybe twice as thick.

Thanks anyways Dave. I am familiar with the technique as I have seen many photos but a video would have been ideal. I do know as well that the branches Ebihara normally used were more developed as opposed to mine which is a younger branch, although that should not impact the outcome.

The process requires lots of precision!

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I look forward to seeing this happen. I have been wanting to try this on a tree I don’t care much about but can’t currently afford the room for such a tree. Even though I am very good with a knife, the patience needed to trim sliver after sliver to get the peg to fit perfectly isn’t something I want to do unless someone is paying me. When the day comes I think I’ll buy a tenon cutter to get that perfect size to match my drill hole.
I’ll practice with some branch cuttings first to get a feel for it. Can anyone see a reason why it wouldn’t work?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I look forward to seeing this happen. I have been wanting to try this on a tree I don’t care much about but can’t currently afford the room for such a tree. Even though I am very good with a knife, the patience needed to trim sliver after sliver to get the peg to fit perfectly isn’t something I want to do unless someone is paying me. When the day comes I think I’ll buy a tenon cutter to get that perfect size to match my drill hole.
I’ll practice with some branch cuttings first to get a feel for it. Can anyone see a reason why it wouldn’t work?

Pretty nifty cutter. My two worries would be, you would be working with green wood rather than dried so the cut would probably not be really clean. The second, working with power tools on such delicate material could not afford you the control you'd have if done slowly by hand.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As I mentioned to @MACH5 privately, I had one of these going on a trident maple. I thread grafted a seedling up through a branch last year and it had completely grafted by early summer this year. I was thinking about removing it but was feeling very uncertain about my ability to successfully reattach it elsewhere on the trunk. I put the tree on a turntable and looked at it for a while from all sides and eventually decided to change the front I had been planning, which made moving the branch unnecessary. So, I cut off the seedling.

Basically, I chickened out!

Wish you luck with this Sergio! I may eventually try it especially if you get it to work. No pressure, though!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One more question, why are you waiting until spring to 'plug it in'?
Is it just going to be in the way of your doing other things with the tree in the meantime?

Top Bottom