Does anyone use or have?

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Does anyone use or have a rotozip that they use on their trees?
My neighbor is selling his for $50 as he just got a new one for Christmas.
I currently have a dremel 4000 and which is ok for small stuff but not for heavy wood removal which I might get into one of these days.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Since you already have a Dremel...I'd say save your money...add another $50 and get a die grinder instead.

That is what I would do if it is for me anyway. That said, you cannot have too much tools so if you buy it...you can still but the die grinder later! :D

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have one for but don't find much use for it on the trees- I do use it for cutting down nursery cans though.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't have one. I second the comment about a die grinder - it is really a full-sized dremel tool.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks guys.
I was thinking about the die grinder because they come with a 1/4 inch collet, correct?
The rotozip he has which has hardly been used has an 1/8, 5/32, and 1/4 inch collet. So any bit that would fit in a die grinder should fit fine in the zip. Plus it will fit the dremel bits also.

I like what you said Poink. Never have enough tools lol. I might just get it as a back up and get a good die grinder in the future. Hell for $50 with a bag of bits I can't really go wrong.
Makita preferably. What models do you all use?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks guys.
I was thinking about the die grinder because they come with a 1/4 inch collet, correct?
The rotozip he has which has hardly been used has an 1/8, 5/32, and 1/4 inch collet. So any bit that would fit in a die grinder should fit fine in the zip. Plus it will fit the dremel bits also.

I like what you said Poink. Never have enough tools lol. I might just get it as a back up and get a good die grinder in the future. Hell for $50 with a bag of bits I can't really go wrong.
Makita preferably. What models do you all use?

You never mentioned it comes with bits...depending on what is there, it could easily be worth more than the tool it self. ;)

Re: Makita...good choice, This is what I have. I really like the paddle switch.
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-GD0600...=UTF8&colid=5ZVUMZ1HYG6A&coliid=IAHNQUKTPW1ZA

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You never mentioned it comes with bits...depending on what is there, it could easily be worth more than the tool it self. ;)

Yup - I use a Kutzall wheel on some woodworking projects and the wheel costs $55 by itself. BTW I highly recommend the company for woodcutting / carving bits:

http://www.kutzalltools.com/kutzall_products.cfm

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Does anyone use or have a rotozip that they use on their trees?
My neighbor is selling his for $50 as he just got a new one for Christmas.
I currently have a dremel 4000 and which is ok for small stuff but not for heavy wood removal which I might get into one of these days.

I had a RotoZip, and finally destroyed it carving a pyracantha a couple months ago.

The flex shaft worked well with the small tri-cut bits, but I wasn't confident using the rotozip for my bigger tri-cut. They are not well-made (for this purpose anyway), and I suspect mine only lasted 2 years because I do almost no power-tool carving. It might be worth $50 if it has a flex shaft, and you don't do much heavy-duty carving.

I'll be replacing mine with a Makita before Ryan Neil hits town...

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Ditto what BrianVF said. My Rotozip lasted 1 year. It is not built to last. If it comes with a flex and lots of carving bits, then 50 bucks is cheap and worth a try. 50 bucks don't go very far these days. Maybe good for neighborly peace too. God knows I got a lot of old worthless tools from my neighbors.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Used Makita die grinders are available on eBay and craigslist. I got mine cheap, and the bits cost twice as much. Big selection of used grinders out there.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Bnut, that Kutzall looks killer! Very impressive in removing rock no less. Could do a lot of damage with that wheel!

I have a Dewalt DW887, exactly like the Makita paddle one. Awesome tool! Been using a dremel with flex shaft. Effective but don't know about the longevity. Have my eye on this,
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Foredom-Woodcarving-Kit-5240/productinfo/110-5240/ Looks very well made.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Foredom is the standard in flex power carving as far as I know in woodworking...so if you can afford it, it is a great choice. :)

BTW, do watch the motor size...know what you intend to use it for and go at least a size higher. Else you might regret it. Better to have something you do not need than need it and not have it. ;)

Last edited:

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Used Makita die grinders are available on eBay and craigslist. I got mine cheap, and the bits cost twice as much. Big selection of used grinders out there.

Dave thanks for that reminder!!
I have a few pawn shops around me that I will stop in and check on what they have.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
To me, if buying a die grinder, one should always pop for a separate variable speed controller or a separate variable speed die grinder( usually quite abit heavier). Many of the rotary brushes and sanders that are super useful work best at varying speeds. Also see debate here....http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t3263p30-die-grinder-tools-question

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is a common misconception to use a variable speed controller on a regular motor. You may get the slower speed but lose torque as well. If you need/want VS...go with electronic VS motor. Much more expensive but really nice feature.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
On the flip side... If one does not have tons of $$$, and does not plan to use it alot,
Places like Harbor Frieght usually sell die grinders for $30-$40.

http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-die-grinder-with-long-shaft-44141.html

For one (or very few) time use yes but I found that most "cheap" tools turn out to be VERY EXPENSIVE...since you will keep replacing them or you will eventually upgrade.

Not to mention that most also are less enjoyable to use. If you or want someone to quit a hobby...it is a nice way to do so. ;)

Top Bottom