Developing a Flat-top Bald Cypress

johng

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I collected this tree as a bare stump in May of 08. Since then, I have been experimenting with creating a natural looking flat-top design. This is the result of my latest work.

[video=youtube_share;UYEda2b4xMM]http://youtu.be/UYEda2b4xMM[/video]

i would be interested in hearing your comments and feedback.
John

Fine work, John. My only comment is that if the tree were mine I'd bring in the lower (vestigual) branches about a third. I think this would improve the illusion of height.

Zach

Nice work you've done

I like the overall look of the tree and the carving you've done. If possible can you post when leaves start in your spring?
John

Nice development John, thanks for sharing.

Just out of curiosity, given how strong BCs grow, how easy is it going to be to maintain the hollow? I would imagine that the tree would start filling it in pretty quickly. Are you planning to carve it out every year?

Nice development John, thanks for sharing.

Just out of curiosity, given how strong BCs grow, how easy is it going to be to maintain the hollow? I would imagine that the tree would start filling it in pretty quickly. Are you planning to carve it out every year?

Well...as I mentioned in the video as some point in the future I might hollow it out more. However, since there is no longer anyplace for the healing edge to really grow I don't think it will be a problem. A friend has a similar tree in which the entire trunk is hollowed and the live edges have wrapped around the edge of the hollow area very realistically...I hope this one will react similarly.
John

Hi John,

I like the direction you are going with the top to this tree.

I agree, this approach better suits a tree that is being developed from the top down and will ultimately produce a very believable flat-top, bald cypress bonsai.

It is always tough to rectify the transition point on collected material and you have done a good job on this one.

Here is a photo of a bald cypress that I have been working on for a while. The photo was taken today and I have plans to trim and wire the tree shortly.

IMG_0004a.jpg

I have taken a different approach with the development of this tree with the hopes of developing a flat top. This tree started out as a collected seedling and was built from the bottom up.

Based on your photos posted in another thread, I guess this could be called the immature look.

Your feedback is always welcome.

Cheers,
Paul

John,
Nice start. I see a tree that is very conflicted. You want a flat top but you have at least three branches that are bent down, not up like a mature flat top bald cypress. You need to look at a bunch of photos of old cypress trees. I think you'll find that most of the branches angle away and up, then ramify to form the flat top.

It just looks like the tree is kind of confused as to what form it is supposed to follow. I have attached a photo of what I am trying to describe. I don't know who's tree it is but I have no doubt that someone on here will know. Looking at this example you can see the story of this flat top bald cypress, the tree knows what it is supposed to be about.

Attachments

• cyp.jpg
    cyp.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 220
Hi John,

I like the direction you are going with the top to this tree.

I agree, this approach better suits a tree that is being developed from the top down and will ultimately produce a very believable flat-top, bald cypress bonsai.

It is always tough to rectify the transition point on collected material and you have done a good job on this one.

Here is a photo of a bald cypress that I have been working on for a while. The photo was taken today and I have plans to trim and wire the tree shortly.

View attachment 29749

I have taken a different approach with the development of this tree with the hopes of developing a flat top. This tree started out as a collected seedling and was built from the bottom up.

Based on your photos posted in another thread, I guess this could be called the immature look.

Your feedback is always welcome.

Cheers,
Paul

That is a very nice tree, Paul! I bet it will be even better after some wiring! You know...because of the great roots and the character and heaviness of the trunk, I would be tempted to think of your beautiful tree more like the very rarest of cypress it seems...the naturally old and without drastic trauma tree..if that makes sense. For me, the "immature" flat-top tree has a very thin trunk with an apex formed from upright branches. Yours certainly seems to convey more age and character to me! Please share a pic after you work on it!!

Nice pot btw:)

John

John,
Nice start. I see a tree that is very conflicted. You want a flat top but you have at least three branches that are bent down, not up like a mature flat top bald cypress. You need to look at a bunch of photos of old cypress trees. I think you'll find that most of the branches angle away and up, then ramify to form the flat top.

It just looks like the tree is kind of confused as to what form it is supposed to follow. I have attached a photo of what I am trying to describe. I don't know who's tree it is but I have no doubt that someone on here will know. Looking at this example you can see the story of this flat top bald cypress, the tree knows what it is supposed to be about.

Thanks for the feedback Mac! I cannot argue with the fact that many/most mature BC have apex branches that exit the trunk and proceed in an upward direction and I have several BC that I am training in this manner. And, you can believe that I have an extensive collection of BC images both on my computer and in my mind from natural observations...probably just like you:)

When I look at this tree, (and I am sure seeing it in person makes a difference - everyone that has seen pictures of my trees and then seen them in person are shocked at how large they actually are) the trunk is very thick despite being just shy of 4' tall...which throws the perspective off "for me" and that is why I opted for a little different expression...a tree that survived having its top twisted out of it and has lived long enough to become ancient again...of course that's just me:)

BTW...The tree you posted the picture of was grown by Guy Guidry. If memory serves, it had been worked on for 20 years and was listed on ebay for $2350...I don't know if it sold???
I think it also still had a very large diagonal wound on the backside. Nice tree...great base, nicely developed top. Guy is also the fellow responsible for Twister.

John

John, Thank you for the reasoned response. And please don't misunderstand, I really like the tree. I guess what threw me off was your statement that you were trying to achieve a natural looking flat top design.

What ever you do with it it is and will be a great bonsai and a great representation of an American bald cypress.

This tree has a fantastic base. No doubt, you have a vision that its coming into nicely, but have you ever been tempted to reduce the overall height by about 1/2? For me, the extreme height reduces the presence of the great base.

Mac,
What's really special about that tree but the original trunk it came with? Looks like an immature tree that just got trunk chopped. Don't get me wrong great tree to trunk chop.

This tree has a fantastic base. No doubt, you have a vision that its coming into nicely, but have you ever been tempted to reduce the overall height by about 1/2? For me, the extreme height reduces the presence of the great base.

Would growing out the canopy wider make it better proportions for you? I'm asking ,because I'm thinking about extending a five foot tall one I have to a 4 foot wide canopy.

[REDIRECT][/REDIRECT]This I would think is natural.
image.jpg

Nah thats fake for sure! Everyone knows trees don't float like that...

Thanks Brian...I have not considered it with this one...I do have another though that is more along those dimensions.... the is already well under the 6 to 1 ratio...not that really matters.

Jeremy - I have considered growing the apex wider on this one but decided against it for now. I may in the future remove the back apex branch...we will see.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
John

That is a very nice tree, Paul! I bet it will be even better after some wiring! You know...because of the great roots and the character and heaviness of the trunk, I would be tempted to think of your beautiful tree more like the very rarest of cypress it seems...the naturally old and without drastic trauma tree..if that makes sense. For me, the "immature" flat-top tree has a very thin trunk with an apex formed from upright branches. Yours certainly seems to convey more age and character to me! Please share a pic after you work on it!!

Nice pot btw:)

John

Thanks John, I appreciate the compliments.

Here's a photo of the tree after some trimming and wiring.

IMG_002a.jpg

Cheers,
Paul

Paul, -Nice work, I love the root buttress. Is it the lighting in the photo, I'm seeing the bark looks light grey?

This will be a good reference when I work mine soon, thanks for posting it.

Back
Top Bottom