Best soil mix for developing Bonsai

Reaction score
I can’t find a good answer for this Question but I want to know what some good soil mixes are for juniper bonsai in development. Right now I have them in a mix of 2 part perlite 1 part peat moss 1part bark and 1part charcoal. But even after 4 days of 85 degree heat it is still damp and I’m worried there might be too much water retention. I’m in zone 7a in the summer it will reach 100. Should I switch to a mix of pumice, coco coir and bark? Or does anyone have a mix that would work well for growing the trunk and not staying to moist? And advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post some photo’s for us to see what your talking about. It helps in many ways. Gauge tree health, pot size compared to tree size, etc. probably not the best idea to repot the same tree back to back. Never done it though. I use mostly pumice in my mixes now for growing out. Your second mix idea sounds more ideal. People seem to like the coco coir. I’ve only used for herbs and vegetables.

Post some photo’s for us to see what your talking about. It helps in many ways. Gauge tree health, pot size compared to tree size, etc. probably not the best idea to repot the same tree back to back. Never done it though. I use mostly pumice in my mixes now for growing out. Your second mix idea sounds more ideal. People seem to like the coco coir. I’ve only used for herbs and vegetables.
I think it need to be put in a smaller pot but I was thinking of switching from perlite to pumice because I hate that the perlite floats and the coco coir is still organic while also not holding moisture for as long as peat

I think it need to be put in a smaller pot but I was thinking of switching from perlite to pumice because I hate that the perlite floats and the coco coir is still organic while also not holding moisture for as long as peat
Switch to pumice.

Your soil needs to fit lots of different variables...Your location/climate, the tree/species, types of soil avaliable etc..

Sounds like you know to move towards well draining, but as someone that grows trees in texas where we get over 110 in the summer, I put more organics in my mix than someone that is in the PNW or Canada.
If the tree is young and is just going to grow, than I wouldnt put it in anything that costs too much, or would punish you for forgetting to water it. Especially if you are new to the hobby.
Pumice, Pine Bark, and Perlite will do fine for a juniper developing. Maybe like 25-50-25 of that mix. Can get all of that for really cheap.

A couple thoughts:
  • Peat is a non-renewable resource and harvesting it has significant carbon emissions compared to other media. Something to keep in mind
  • Young plants (like those in early development) will do fine with just about anything. Repotting during the growing season will probably be a bigger setback than the soil choice
  • Pumice and perlite won't function very differently. To fight the floating, you could add a top layer of similarly-sized heavy media (lava, chicken grit, crushed granite, heck even generic pebbles would work)
  • Nurseries and garden centers use stuff similar to your soil mix because it gets them fast consistent growth
  • If you're really concerned and your juinper is in a deep nursery container, you could replace the top 2-3" or so with better media. There will be a perched water table where the media changes, but the roots remaining in the bottom of the pot will keep the tree healthy, and you'll get good root growth in the top layer. This seems unnecessary to me, especially if a juniper is still in the trunk growth phase, given how slow they thicken

Your soil needs to fit lots of different variables...Your location/climate, the tree/species, types of soil avaliable etc..

Sounds like you know to move towards well draining, but as someone that grows trees in texas where we get over 110 in the summer, I put more organics in my mix than someone that is in the PNW or Canada.
If the tree is young and is just going to grow, than I wouldnt put it in anything that costs too much, or would punish you for forgetting to water it. Especially if you are new to the hobby.
Pumice, Pine Bark, and Perlite will do fine for a juniper developing. Maybe like 25-50-25 of that mix. Can get all of that for really cheap.
I'm brand new. Live in Dallas suburb. Got a few bonsai for mother's day and have learned I can make trees from almost anything. So, I have about five cuttings in !/3 peat moss, sand and top soil. They seem to be doing OK. Only in the soil for about 10 days.

I grew up in Carrollton/Lewisville so Im very familiar with your area.

Cuttings (depending on the species) need lots of varying needs.

Juniper cuttings can grow roots from just being in perlite and sand, while elm cuttings might need to be bagged so it gets a more moist environment. Similar to yamadori the thing cuttings need is root growth and roots grow with oxygen and moisture. (over simplified). Your mix could suffocate the roots. Bonsaify on youtube has some great videos on cuttings.

Back
Top Bottom