Developing a Flat-top Bald Cypress

John,

I just wanted to chime in and say I had a strong desire to work on BC after finding your videos long before even joining this forum. I think your work on them is great and I love the awesome coincidence that I will be able to continue to see them evolve. Great work!

I have two small 2-4" BC that I will be working on for the first time this year. I plan to grow one tall and air layer the other, creating a raft out of the base.

John you forgot to mention the use of Russian Beta's as a "secret" way to super BC's :p

Grimmy

I was curious about the suggestion to cut this tree down by about 1/2, so I went ahead and did that - hope you don't mind!

I prefer the taller version but the shorter one doesn't look as bad as I was expecting.

Attachments

• baldcypress3.jpg
    baldcypress3.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 104
  • baldcypress.jpg
    baldcypress.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 110
I was curious about the suggestion to cut this tree down by about 1/2, so I went ahead and did that - hope you don't mind!

I prefer the taller version but the shorter one doesn't look as bad as I was expecting.

I don't mind at all...in fact I think it just furthers my point! Have you ever seen a BC look like that in nature:)

I get it with some of the maples with the super big root spreads but even those seem cartoonish or fanciful maybe...

John

Flat top volcano? Tree looks awesome John G...

Fantastic the tree already has a name if you choose to do it. The "Volcano of Life". I think I just had an epiphany of why I like sumo style so much, I loved volcanoes growing up. I made a paper mache one and used to put smoke bombs and the typical baking soda and vinegar with red food coloring. To top it off Mt Fuji is so majestic, isnt it? Sorry went to lala land on that one. Tree looks great as is and would look great as a volcano :)

I don't think I've ever seen a bald cypress in it's native environment, only photos - but certainly none of the photos have looked like the shortened version. I do have a BC that I'm planning to work on (currently in the ground to grow a bit) and I go back and forth between planning to go for this type of flat-top style, or a more typical formal upright. Maybe I should just get another and have one of each style :) Yeah, that's the ticket...

I'm not a big fan of sumo styles generally, so it surprised me that the shortened version of your tree didn't look terrible (to me)...I think it's because the base looks more tree like than those "cartoonish" dinner plate styles. Though the more I look at it, the less I like it...

Chris

The farther you travel down this road you will understand and most likely love and nurture at least several 3 to 4 foot "bonsai". It just takes larger pots and a different vision. All kept in scale it is proper and respected and by my standards wonderful and most often acceptable when "presented" properly. We have several trees 3 foot ready to show and several 6 to 8 foot that will be 3 to 4 foot in a few short years... This is yet another road to travel that is quite acceptable and has been for more years then we have been alive, accept it and above all appreciate it.

Grimmy ;)

The farther you travel down this road you will understand and most likely love and nurture at least several 3 to 4 foot "bonsai". It just takes larger pots and a different vision. All kept in scale it is proper and respected and by my standards wonderful and most often acceptable when "presented" properly. We have several trees 3 foot ready to show and several 6 to 8 foot that will be 3 to 4 foot in a few short years... This is yet another road to travel that is quite acceptable and has been for more years then we have been alive, accept it and above all appreciate it.

Grimmy ;)

Oh I love 3-4' trees as well but they need 18-24" bases ;)

My vision was not that low...

Attachments

• small_28.jpg
    small_28.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 89
  • small_28a.jpg
    small_28a.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 84

Grimmy ;)

Well put Grimmy:). I have to say I prefer the the taller tree myself. More natural...but who am I to say...each to their own. After all, it's very personal. I have a BC (posted on another thread), that will never reach this size, but I will be happy with a shorter tree and much smaller trunk:). I do like this flat top style...great job again, John.
Best,
Jonathan

an update

IMG_1417.JPG

[video=youtube_share;GzLHqWdORdY]http://youtu.be/GzLHqWdORdY[/video]

John that is a "pin-up" for all of us to pin to the wall and emulate. As always "you did good".

May you and all have a happy, wealthy, healthy and peaceful New Year.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom