Deciding a maples future

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_1699.JPG I have a maple I collected fairly late last year I think June or July. I was just looking at it this morning and trying to decide where to cut it back. I left it pretty long when I collected it and now it has a pretty strong leader toward the top. Problem is I think it would make the tree too large if I kept the trunk that long.

I'm thinking about cutting it down to the bottom limb and making that the new leader. I think it falls on a good spot as far as what I plan to be the front. Now the only thing I'm debating in my head is will it be too short?

Also if I make a chop on it should I do it while it's still dormant or wait for the buds to start popping?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you want a sumo type tree then your plan to chop to the low branch is good, if you don't want a sumo I'd be tempted to cut back to the next set of branches. Use the low branch as your first primary branch, then use one of the branches above as a new trunkline and the other as a second primary branch. I'd wait until I see buds moving to chop it.

Aaron

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_1706.PNG I think I would be really happy with something like this. I'm just worried about if the trunk is as long as the next set of limbs up the canopy will need to be pretty large making the over all tree rather big.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
View attachment 132633 I think I would be really happy with something like this. I'm just worried about if the trunk is as long as the next set of limbs up the canopy will need to be pretty large making the over all tree rather big.
I'd that's what you want to aim for, then chop to the bottom branch and wire it for movement. I can understand not wanting a tree to be to big, hell I'm only 22 and I'm already liking shohin a lot lol
What variety of maple is this anyway?

Aaron

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Maybe instead of chopping downward from the first Branch, chop upward at 45°. And hope a bud will grow near the top. If not you can always graft.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yep, it's a telephone pole above that point. Just because you're chopping low doesn't mean you have to end up with a short or sumo tree - you just need to regrow a couple of new trunk sections so that it's tapered - sounds simple . . . and it is, but it will take quite a few years. After you chop, let that new leader grow wild until it is about half the thickness of the bottom section - don't trim it or work it or even think of it as Bonsai until at least that point, and then make the second chop . . .

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Yep, it's a telephone pole above that point. Just because you're chopping low doesn't mean you have to end up with a short or sumo tree - you just need to regrow a couple of new trunk sections so that it's tapered - sounds simple . . . and it is, but it will take quite a few years. After you chop, let that new leader grow wild until it is about half the thickness of the bottom section - don't trim it or work it or even think of it as Bonsai until at least that point, and then make the second chop . . .
...and you may want to get it back in the ground to speed up the growth of the new trunk and healing of the chop(s).

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Was this a landscape Japanese Maple? The reason I ask is that there is an abrupt change in bark texture near the bottom that leads me to believe it may have been grafted - especially where that craggy bark creeps up into the smooth area at the right. What's the other side of the base look like? Do you know what cultivar it is?

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was this a landscape Japanese Maple? The reason I ask is that there is an abrupt change in bark texture near the bottom that leads me to believe it may have been grafted - especially where that craggy bark creeps up into the smooth area at the right. What's the other side of the base look like? Do you know what cultivar it is?

No landscape tree this is straight out of the woods. I think the bark is becase the tree grew in standing water. The land is so flat that it has several inches of water standing in it pretty much year round.

The other side isn't as good doesn't really have any nebari on that side.

Not sure what kind of maple it is we have a big variety around here. Would like to figure it out this year. The leaves are a medium size, when I dug it I thought I was digging a sweet gum. The leaves are similar in shape and size. Hoping I'll be able to get them to reduce one day.

As far as putting in the ground I was going to build some raised grow beds soon and this is one tree I planning on putting in it.

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
guess I need to keep looking to decide the front because after looking again I'm not sure. IMG_1716.JPG IMG_1715.JPG Here's what I would consider the bck
IMG_1713.JPG

Top Bottom