Cutting off main branches

Reaction score
I had a hard time with my elm last summer. Almost all my small branches dropped their leaves and died. I now have new shoots popping out in some places. I was never really happy with the primary branches anyways. Just wanted to know if I could cut the main branches back to the trunk and start over with branching?IMAG0131.jpg

Sure you can. Elms if healthy will regenerate profusely. Where do you keep this tree? Do you allow it to go dormant? It will probably regenerate best after a dormant period. Wait until late winter to do it. If there are branches in decent placements, then leave a short piece and just start to reconstruct.

Sure you can. Elms if healthy will regenerate profusely. Where do you keep this tree? Do you allow it to go dormant? It will probably regenerate best after a dormant period. Wait until late winter to do it. If there are branches in decent placements, then leave a short piece and just start to reconstruct.

I keep outside in a shed over winter, Thanks for the advice JudyB. I will wait till late winter:cool:

And how about an eye-level view of the entire tree. This shot from above and showing only part of the tree is not helpful, but it appears that you could also consider chopping (or, if you have the time, layering) the tree to make it shorter and more attractive.

Back
Top Bottom