Corkbark JBP, ‘Taihei’

Yes, kinda feel obligated to keep it now for sure. Let’s see yours when you get a chance. Always like seeing other corkers.
I can’t believe I forgot to follow up on this Brian. Probably the main reason is because I placed it in ground back in 2014 when I bought the house. I’ll get better photos soon when I dig it up in a few weeks. Also, pardon the mess, I’m redoing the garden 🤣
65C50675-ED3E-459A-80DF-5416EA4032FC.jpeg

Looking good BVF. glad you never removed that first branch.

So looking at what you've achieved your best advice would be to leave the new growth alone for a couple of years then decandle what month? Then leave again?

So looking at what you've achieved your best advice would be to leave the new growth alone for a couple of years then decandle what month? Then leave again?
Nope. I don’t decandle corkers, look back at post #23.
I treat them more like a white pine, pulling old needles in the fall or spring, and pruning back to interior buds in spring.
CDEB7FA3-D331-4950-A0FE-8DBE908D2479.jpeg

Last edited:
Nope. I don’t decandle corkers, look back at post #23.
I treat them more like a white pine, pulling old needles in the fall or spring, and pruning back to interior buds in spring.
View attachment 545768
Ah ok that makes sense now, I had wondered why mine wasn't beefing up as quickly as my black pines but I was treating them the same way (shows even so called professionals don't know everything as I asked Peter Warren in the UK who trained in Japan for 6 years and he said he would treat them like JBP).
Thanks again for all the great info, hopefully mine will start doing what it should be doing!

Ah ok that makes sense now, I had wondered why mine wasn't beefing up as quickly as my black pines but I was treating them the same way (shows even so called professionals don't know everything as I asked Peter Warren in the UK who trained in Japan for 6 years and he said he would treat them like JBP).
Thanks again for all the great info, hopefully mine will start doing what it should be doing!
Peter is a great dude. He’s been a guest in my home a couple times and we have always had a blast working on trees.
If you want a pine to bulk up, you have to let it grow. When it’s time to build ramification, the techniques shift.

Peter is a great dude. He’s been a guest in my home a couple times and we have always had a blast working on trees.
If you want a pine to bulk up, you have to let it grow. When it’s time to build ramification, the techniques shift.
He really is isn't he, I've obviously taken what he meant about developing them the wrong way.
You have made it a lot easier to understand so hopefully only good things are to come over the next few years with the small corker that I have.
Thanks Brian

Back
Top Bottom