Christmas bonsai

Hannahmm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So my husband took me to a store and said I could choose between three diamond rings for a new wedding ring for Christmas... well as awfully sweet as that was I had other plans. So we took the money we would have spent and we got me a pawn shop guitar and a new tree! Sooo all that said (I let my husband pick out the tree even). Here is what I came home with any ideas?? Sorry for the bad pics. It's a Nanking Cherry.

Attachments

• IMG_0983.JPG
    IMG_0983.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0984.JPG
    IMG_0984.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0985.JPG
    IMG_0985.JPG
    343.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0987.JPG
    IMG_0987.JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    364.3 KB · Views: 101

Hannahmm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ha ha no actually I forgot to get a picture of it! It's by far the nicer piece of wood. It's still at the pawnshop on layaway. Here is a pic from online. Washburn acoustic/electric

Attachments

• IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 98

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I love P. Tomentosa. The texture of the leaves and the almost black bark are really nice. They are very vigorous and can handle temperature extremes in Las Vegas as well as extreme cold. Stay up on the anti-fungal and you should be gold on it. Repot in the spring obviously. I think that can be a really nice tree.

Nice guitar also! Enjoy it!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good plan....he’s probably going to buy a new diamond ring anyway. Big diamond. Act surprised. Gold band or silver?

Hannahmm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@milehigh_7 Thank you! I hope it turns into a nice tree as well. My husband picked it out. He liked the big knots in it, lots of branches to work with so hopefully, I can make it into a nice tree. The gentleman that ran the nursery said they do excellent in our aired climate. @Tieball haha yes you are probably right the diamond ring will come anyway!;) Black Hills Gold ring nothing real expensive but that's the way I prefer it. Besides, I have already bent, worn down or broke the setting on three other rings...So no more Whitewater kayaking or hardcore outdoor fun while wearing my rings. :eek:

Hannahmm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a couple of noobie questions the first picture is as it sits now. The second picture is a branch that is long reaching and doesnt have any branch development tell the very end (the red circled part is all bare) if I chop it down to the base of the grey would it develop branching from the cut point?? The third picture is a thrown together idea of possible shaping. I just need to know that if I cut back branches to the general shape, am I going to get new branches to grow from old wood?

Attachments

• Cherry 1.JPG
    Cherry 1.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 62
  • cherry.JPG
    cherry.JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 63
  • cherry 2.JPG
    cherry 2.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 63

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, to all the questions, but don't prune until late winter or early spring.

I personally would not worry much about pruning or styling this spring. I would repot it first. I would dig down and get a look at the point where the trunk Flair's out to the roots. (Nebari). The appearance of the nebari often can determine the future style of the tree. So if it were mine, I'd repot in spring, get it into a decent media for deciduous bonsai. I would keep it in a nursery pot or a grow box. It needs to grow a couple years before it will need a bonsai pot. You can start pruning in autumn. Just grow it out after repotting.

Hannahmm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you @Leo in N E Illinois I took probably three super minor branches off and then finished taking off a few broken tips. I wanted to wait until at least spring to prune anyway because I thought that buying a tree already baren of leaves for the winter doesn't allow me to easily see if there are any dead branches or unhealthy ones that might need to go anyway. I have no problem waiting until next fall to prune and getting it out of the nursery soil.:) Thank you for your input!

Hannahmm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well quick update. I got my tree home now I got my ax home as well! Us blondes have to stick together. Looking forward to enjoying both tree and guitar for years to come!

Attachments

• IMG_1020.JPG
    IMG_1020.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 45

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
winter doesn't allow me to easily see if there are any dead branches or unhealthy ones

It's easy to find dead branches in winter....

Just look for the ones that look like your fingers after you been yakin all day!

Shriveled!

I little bendy can snap the dead ones too.

Speaking of Bending Branches!
That's my paddle!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well quick update. I got my tree home now I got my ax home as well! Us blondes have to stick together. Looking forward to enjoying both tree and guitar for years to come!
Plug that thing into my 120 watt Crate half stack,stomp on the vicious distortion pedal and let the screaming begin!
Play it Ted Nugent style! Use the feedback to make it howl!
Instead of a ring get one of those slide things George Thorogood uses to play with.

Hannahmm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's easy to find dead branches in winter....

Just look for the ones that look like your fingers after you been yakin all day!
Shriveled!
I little bendy can snap the dead ones too.

Yeah I found a few branches that way, oh and thanks so much for sticking me in with the normal stereotype woman haha;) I have always fit in sooo well there :rolleyes: okay then post a picture of said paddle!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks so much for sticking me in with the normal stereotype

Stereotypical newb!

Stereotypical Women can't handle it here!

Just ask any that remain!

I have to admit I haven't had enough time to consider myself an actual yakker.

Which makes what you are doing all that more interesting!

Sorce

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice find! Definitely has potential, but definitely needs some work! But which tree doesn't?
If I were you I'd try something like this in the spring
IMG_0984.JPG
Chop away the green (maybe even lower looking at it now)

There's a lot going on with your trunk. I'd suggest removing the red one. The orange one could go depending on how you envision your tree!

Top Bottom