Cherry seedling help please

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Good morning and happy Easter! I purchased some Quanzan and Yoshino cherry seedlings early this spring and planted them in small grow pots in bonsai soil. They both got buds, and leaves. The Yoshino even flowered out. Now, all of a sudden, they both are having the same problem...their leaves are drying up and any buds that are there are at a stand-still. They have been in my garage that is heated and they have ample light. The first picture shows a seedling that had leaves but you can see they are fading. The second and third picture shows seedling with all the leaves faded and dried up. Help appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_5382.jpg
    IMG_5382.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5408.jpg
    IMG_5408.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5409.jpg
    IMG_5409.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 33

ChefB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The heat in your garage is likely drying them out. If it above freezing put them outside. Have they been watered?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The heat in your garage is likely drying them out. If it above freezing put them outside. Have they been watered?
Thanks for the response. The heat in the garage is 65 F or less and yes watered well, and I was thinking maybe to well. It is above freezing outside during the day now, but night times not so much yet. I will try and just bring them in if temps get low.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've seen cherries do this when their roots have died.
Could be overwatering, could be underwatering.

Cherries, at least the ones we have here, seem to like life on the drier side.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Well I made a mistake. I got these last year so they were in the pots for a little over 1 year. I repotted both of them today. They were a bit swampy down below. I know that's risky but figured I would loose them if I didn't do something. I added a better drainage layer and changed out the plastic screening in the bottom. It is very small mesh size that needle point people work with (7 mesh). The hole opening is 1/16. I takes very little to clog that up. Just fast growing roots had mine a little plugged. I like the plastic screen cause one can cut it to size with scissors. I'll look to see if I can find a bigger mesh size.

Thanks for help

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well I made a mistake. I got these last year so they were in the pots for a little over 1 year. I repotted both of them today. They were a bit swampy down below. I know that's risky but figured I would loose them if I didn't do something. I added a better drainage layer and changed out the plastic screening in the bottom. It is very small mesh size that needle point people work with (7 mesh). The hole opening is 1/16. I takes very little to clog that up. Just fast growing roots had mine a little plugged. I like the plastic screen cause one can cut it to size with scissors. I'll look to see if I can find a bigger mesh size.

Thanks for help
Try drywall mesh tape. It's cheap and the same mesh size as "bonsai mesh". It also sticks by itself.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have tried drywall tape, but would like something with a larger mesh size. My mesh is a 7 count but see that it comes in 5 count from Amazon. I will try some of that.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can't find a better pic now, but this is the 7 count from the link I sent on my now dead chojubai. Holes are around 1/8 square, I don't think you want them bigger than that for any bonsai substrate. They are almost the same size as 1/2 the holes on the pond basket right above them.

1681141110886.png

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The labeled 7 count plastic screen that I have has an opening of 1/16". In my opinion that is to small for bonsai screen.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The labeled 7 count plastic screen that I have has an opening of 1/16". In my opinion that is to small for bonsai screen.
What substrate are you using? And do you sieve your substrates, or do you buy them already sieved to size? The soil I buy from Bonsai Jack would do fine with the 1/8" holes, but they were slightly too big for my shohin planted in akadama. I used a little pumice to cover the mesh before adding the akadama so it wouldn't fall through.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I make my own soil from pumice (Hess Pumice Idaho), lava (collected) and smaller, screened pine bark. Everything is screened. I used to buy from Jacks but his prices went way up, quality down, amount per bag down, and more fines than before. I don't use 1/16" or less in size. I don't want to afford Akadama

Top Bottom