Chainsaw Kwanzan Cherry

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That root knot is really interesting. I would pot that up separately and see if it sprouts growth.

@roberthu - the published "life spans" for trees are irrelevant in a bonsai context. Trees have open ended life spans, cell lines will continue to grow for hundreds of years, even for the trees listed as short lived. All the life span tables are based on utility, for use for timber, use as an orchard crop, or for use in a landscape planting, the "life span" tables do not mean the trees die of senescence, in the way humans die of old age. There is no reason that if disease control is good, and accidents are avoided, this tree easily could still be with ABCarve for another 100 years. Trees simply do not die of old age.
That root knot got cut in half to see what was inside. Very interesting!! I'll look and see if its still laying around for a photo.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Not all of the flowers have opened up yet but the rain is really starting to beat the existing flowers. I did some more carving and added some wormholes. Also painted the deadwood on the backside with acrylics as I'm getting tired of white. Kinda reminds me of "The scream" by Edvard Munch.:eek::eek::eek: IMG_3949.jpgIMG_3953.JPG

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Last year’s cutbacks took its toll in flowering spurs but did a lot to chase back some new buds on old wood. I should be able to start developing a crown now. New foliage is more red....don’t know if that’s a permanent thing.
A8D7B58A-5438-40F8-B5FB-074224F9BEBE.jpegC8F7AED8-8BD7-4C0F-95DD-35151DE4688D.jpeg

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here is a current photo for development purposes. I've wired down the top and put some movement into it. The chasing back of other branches is starting to give it a more compact look. I only had to prune it once this year. Hopefully it will start producing more flowering spurs. The mutant root growth noted in post #8 is back and now bigger in just two growing seasons. I may try as @Leo in N E Illinois suggested to plant it and see if it sprouts growth in the spring.

IMG_0625.jpegIMG_0612.jpeg

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
How is the deadwood holding up? Is not showing any signs of rotting?
Holding up quite well. Cherry is fairly rot resistant. If it starts to deteriorate I’ll put marine epoxy on it.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The heart wood on cherry will last many years before it even starts rotting. This one should be around for a good long time. Beautiful tree and awesome progression! This is a prime example of “if there’s a will there’s a way”

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amazing how you resurrected this tree! Your work has really been effective to produce a beautiful bonsai specimen.

Congratulations on all your hard work.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here's how the structure is progressing. I've never seen so many big fat flower buds. The small skinny ones tend to be vegetative. Another couple of weeks for the big show. Feelin' optimistic this year.

IMG_4598.JPGIMG_1584.jpeg

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You can't just...DO that.

The Japanese value a scar-free asthetic.

I repeat, you can't just....make beautiful things quickly like that.

Sorry. Rules are rules. On the books.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Stunning tree, awesome job.

Top Bottom