CBE Club Displays

johng

Omono
Reaction score
One of the ways that the Carolina Bonsai Expo is different than other shows, that I am aware of, is that each club display is judged for its overall appeal...not just individual trees...which are also judged. This was the 18th annual CBE and it took a few years for this side of the competition to really catch on....but now it has! And, it has certainly raised the quality of the show! Over the years the trees have gotten significantly better and displays have improved immensely as well. One other aspect that I am sure many of you are aware of is that clubs are encouraged to explore display beyond the traditional Japanese way.

Following are a few pictures from the 15 different clubs...I apologize as I did not photograph every display but here are a few that I did.

First is the Bonsai Empire Club from Virginia... Although not my taste, this effort took an amazing amount of work. It was well received by the public and won the Peer's Choice award from the bonsai folks in attendance. Mr. Clemons had several good suggestions for improvement and noted that the actual trees used were excellent. The base is two 8' tables placed side by side....~8'x5'
P1010708.JPG

The display is the Hinoke Bonsai Club of Roanoke Va. This club featured photos as the back drop to their 16' display. The ribbon is for the small Elm bonsai...inspite of all the excellent large bonsai displayed this year, this tree was the winner of the Peer's choice award.
P1010709.JPG

The next display is also from a Virginia group...16'
P1010728.JPG

Atlanta Bonsai society tried something a little different in their 16' display. There were mixed reviews of this display and Rodney, who is from Atlanta, was pretty tough in his critique of this effort.
P1010723.JPG

The Triangle Bonsai club from North Carolina...16' In the critique of this display, it was pointed out that perhaps the posters could have been place else where to allow more room for the trees.
P1010702.JPG

The Susquahanna Club (I may not have that spelling correct) brought something a little different as well. unfortunately I did not get a full picture of the display. To the left of this image were 3 bonsai spaced closely together.
P1010724.JPG

This is another club display...I think it is from the Wilmington, NC bonsai club. 16' In my opinion this display could have been better with fewer trees. Unfortunately, too many trees is something that nearly every club has suffered from at some point along this journey.
P1010701.JPG

The Knoxville Club also came in with a nice display...more traditional(kind of accepted from the home club of Bjorn) but great trees including the best in show semi-cascade Rocky Mountain juniper.
P1010710.JPG

The Blue Ridge Bonsai Society produced a very nice display of all small trees this year...12 in total. As Jim(jkl) pointed out in another thread this display was awarded the Curator's Award.
I found this display to be very appealing...very clean and easy too look at!
P1010716.JPG

The last display I have to post is from the Black Creek Study Group. We opted this year to try and simplify a little bit...just three trees, no stands other that the large pedestals. We also opened are display to thru traffic and close inspection by not using tables. It was a little unnerving to see large groups of folks gathered closely around our trees throughout the weekend but in the end everything was fine. We were honored to receive the Best in Show for group display from Rodney. The Bald Cypress in the middle was also selected as the People's Choice award.
P1010693.JPG

Unfortunately I did not get a good pic of the Carolina Bonsai Society's display as their lights were off the only time I had to take photos. They were the only club this year to incorporate their own lighting to good effect when it was on. Their display can be seen in the background of the Black Study Group display photo.

One of the things I noticed this year was that several of the displays used only 4 trees. While it is a very good thing that the number of trees were reduced, it seemed to me that this even number created a symmetry in the display that was a little distracting to the flow of the overall display.

I love participating in this event each year and it just gets better every year in respect to the displays and the quality of the trees. I want to commend and thank each and every group for their thoughtful displays. It is more and more apparent each year that the planning and work that goes into each display is growing...and I think the results speak for themselves.

Thanks for looking and I would love to hear your comments about the various displays.
John

A very interesting and unique way to exhibit trees. I like it very much.

John, I actually thought the display behind the Black Study was part of the groups display until you said otherwise. And I thought it was great to have those trees in the background. Maybe a thought for next time? It just looked very deep in perspective.
Thanks for posting these.

John, I actually thought the display behind the Black Study was part of the groups display until you said otherwise. And I thought it was great to have those trees in the background. Maybe a thought for next time? It just looked very deep in perspective.
Thanks for posting these.

Thank you Judy...and I agree it does look interesting...I will have to think about how that might be incorporated.
John

John, I love the presentation of a large collected bald cypress in an ancient flat top style! Very believable . Nice way to handle collected taper of the tree. Beautiful . Have any more? When do you transplant? I have read to repot when completely dormant or when candles are swelling? I'm second-guessing myself now because I had a tree on last year spontaneously after I had styled repotted it when it was dormant so I'm wondering. Late February in atlanta. Thank you Heath

Unfortunately I did not get a good pic of the Carolina Bonsai Society's display...

That's one of the few entire displays I did get a photo of. I'll try to round it up again and post it here.

I THINK I got most (all?) of the Carolina Display, though I may be missing a tree on the right.

Attachments

• Charlotte.jpg
    Charlotte.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 34
I didn't get directly in front of it, but this ought to show it well enough.

Attachments

• sm-DSC_0080.jpg
    sm-DSC_0080.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 39
Thank you for sharing! Great pictures and nice to see those awards indeed! :cool:

Grimmy

John, I love the presentation of a large collected bald cypress in an ancient flat top style! Very believable . Nice way to handle collected taper of the tree. Beautiful . Have any more? When do you transplant? I have read to repot when completely dormant or when candles are swelling? I'm second-guessing myself now because I had a tree on last year spontaneously after I had styled repotted it when it was dormant so I'm wondering. Late February in atlanta. Thank you Heath

Hey Heath...Thanks for your kind words! I have not had good experiences with repotting BC in the dormant season! I repot at two different times...just before bud break(late March here) and mid summer as long as you defoliate the tree at the same time. I only use the second method on the most vigorous trees...never on something that might be limping along and still recovering from collecting.

I do have a few of these in the garden...not as developed as the one displayed, but coming along well.

John

Johng,

Not to speak for the entire membership of the Bonsai Society of the Carolinas, but since you and Ken and the rest of the Black Creek Study Group almost always win the Best Display Award, we figured our display might as well unofficially serve as your backdrop. Please let us know if and how we can serve you better in the future.

Funny, but I still think your display would be better with 4 trees...

Yes, your welcome.

Regards,
Martin

Last edited:
Johng,

I agree with your overall review of the Expo. The overall quality of the trees is getting better every year, there are occassionally over crowded tables and room for improvement. I think the guest artist critiques of the displays in addition to the trees, as well as the Best Display award, has lead the development in a more positive and more rapid trajectory than it would have without that extra push.

That said, one of the most pleasant aspects of the Expo is that even though there is a relatively high level of refinement and quality, there is still room for club level show trees and displays. Additionally, those trees and displays, as well as their presenters, are treated respectfully and accorded a level of dignity that I find encouraging and welcoming. I think a lot of the credit for this goes to Arthur. Thankfully, it has been picked up on by the regular attendees and has become one of the hallmarks of the Expo.

Hope to see you in December.

Regards,
Martin

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the photos John.

It looks like it was another great show.

Congratulations on the award for your display.

Any closeups of the bald cypress?

It looks good in the group shot.

Cheers,
Paul

Johng,

I agree with your overall review of the Expo. The overall quality of the trees is getting better every year, there are occassionally over crowded tables and room for improvement. I think the guest artist critiques of the displays in addition to the trees, as well as the Best Display award, has lead the development in a more positive and more rapid trajectory than it would have without that extra push.

That said, one of the most pleasant aspects of the Expo is that even though there is a relatively high level of refinement and quality, there is still room for club level show trees and displays. Additionally, those trees and displays, as well as their presenters, are treated respectfully and accorded a level of dignity that I find encouraging and welcoming. I think a lot of the credit for this goes to Arthur. Thankfully, it has been picked up on by the regular attendees and has become one of the hallmarks of the Expo.

Hope to see you in December.

Regards,
Martin

I have to agree with you on all points!!! except maybe the 4 trees...but I do wonder how a 4 tree forest would work in a 4 tree display:) Maybe that will be theme for next year!
Thanks for your thoughts...I always appreciate your reasoned word...

Thanks for sharing the photos John.

It looks like it was another great show.

Congratulations on the award for your display.

Any closeups of the bald cypress?

It looks good in the group shot.

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks Paul!!! all the pics I have now have been posted...without my good camera it was difficult to take good shots sans a background. We need to see about getting you to the expo as a vendor and to maybe display a couple of those nice trees!! It would be great to have a Fla club to add to the mix. I am sure you would well if you could get in...I think that is the tricky part right now...there may be a waiting list.

Here is a shot that Arthur just shared on IBC...
BC%2520peoples%2520choice.jpg

Thanks Paul!!! all the pics I have now have been posted...without my good camera it was difficult to take good shots sans a background. We need to see about getting you to the expo as a vendor and to maybe display a couple of those nice trees!! It would be great to have a Fla club to add to the mix. I am sure you would well if you could get in...I think that is the tricky part right now...there may be a waiting list.

Here is a shot that Arthur just shared on IBC...
BC%2520peoples%2520choice.jpg

Thanks John.

I think your cypress is developing very nicely. It won't be to much longer before the transition point from the trunk to the apex branching will all flow together seamlessly.

I've talked to Aurthur about vending at the show and your right, there is a waiting list. A long waiting list.

Have a great day.

Cheers,
Paul

Really interesting displays, thanks for sharing the photos! I really like that bald cypress.

Chris

I think it is missing the fish this year :p

Grimmy

I've talked to Aurthur about vending at the show and your right, there is a waiting list. A long waiting list.

Have a great day.

Cheers,
Paul

That is a shame...your pots would be appreciated by many. Its too bad there is not some way to increase the vendor space.
John

Back
Top Bottom