Cactus Nursery Ficus

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like where you have the base!

Are you getting that to push any surface roots just sitting there?

Coming along!

Sorce

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like where you have the base!

Are you getting that to push any surface roots just sitting there?

Coming along!

Sorce
Thanks.

I had it out of the pot briefly this year, and it is issuing some new roots above the original big woody mess, but for now it has to remain in a deeper pot in order to bury all that.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wanna see how that chop is healin.

Sorce

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are some respectable bonsai people that say don't defoliate a Ficus in development because it weakens the tree. My opinion from what I have seen is I don't agree with them. Your tree is one good example showing how defoliating can be a valuable method for Ficus in development. @ColinFraser What are you thoughts on this and how often do you defoliate?

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
There are some respectable bonsai people that say don't defoliate a Ficus in development because it weakens the tree. My opinion from what I have seen is I don't agree with them. Your tree is one good example showing how defoliating can be a valuable method for Ficus in development. @ColinFraser What are you thoughts on this and how often do you defoliate?
In the case of these two trees and this particular instance of defoliation - I would not have chosen to do this and don’t think it’s ideal this time of year. These were both damaged by a couple of freezing nights in a row, and most of the foliage turned black and died back. At that point, I decided I might as well remove all the dead stuff and cut it back, so that the inevitable back-budding happened where I wanted it instead of randomly where the tree felt like it (there were still several 2-foot leaders on the big one at the time).

All that said, I generally agree with the sentiment that defoliation is a refinement, rather than a development, technique; however, if I’m cutting back so hard on a piece of stock that I’ll remove 90% of the foliage anyway, I might choose to go the whole way so that I can make well informed edits to branches at the same time. In that case, it would probably be a year or two between cuts/defoliation for a piece of stock in development.

Hope that makes sense . . .

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There are some respectable bonsai people that say don't defoliate a Ficus in development because it weakens the tree.

Depends what you mean by "development". If you are trying to thicken the trunk or grow chunky branches, or heal big pruning cuts, I wouldn't do it. However a lot of development of ficus bonsai involves ramification work. I defoliate my ficus at this time of year (as soon as I see warm weather growth starting and the inner leaves dropping) and have not had issues. I have one smaller one that I am training as a cascade and I defoliate the entire tree except the descending branch.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok, trying hard to keep this thread out of the gutter...

BUT ...

This first photo looks like he's sitting cross-legged... cheering you on as you hack and prune... with a big... "WOODIE"!!!

Colin, this was an amazing transformation in a short amount of time. Great skills!

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the case of these two trees and this particular instance of defoliation - I would not have chosen to do this and don’t think it’s ideal this time of year. These were both damaged by a couple of freezing nights in a row, and most of the foliage turned black and died back. At that point, I decided I might as well remove all the dead stuff and cut it back, so that the inevitable back-budding happened where I wanted it instead of randomly where the tree felt like it (there were still several 2-foot leaders on the big one at the time).

All that said, I generally agree with the sentiment that defoliation is a refinement, rather than a development, technique; however, if I’m cutting back so hard on a piece of stock that I’ll remove 90% of the foliage anyway, I might choose to go the whole way so that I can make well informed edits to branches at the same time. In that case, it would probably be a year or two between cuts/defoliation for a piece of stock in development.

Hope that makes sense . . .

Yes make sense. Thanks for the well thought out answer. I have a Microcarpa that I'm in that stage where the trunk and main branches are close to where I want them but the tree is too grown out on top and I need back budding where I have no leaves. The lower half of the tree is very strong so I I'm thinking if I cut back only the top then the tree will re direct energy to the strong lower branches. So in my mind I may as well just defoliate and cut back the entire tree. I've had this Ficus for 6 years and haven't defoliated yet but I think this may be a good reason to start. I will update my thread on my tree. Anyways, good job with your Ficus. I look forward to see it's future.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Anyways, good job with your Ficus. I look forward to see it's future.
superb job - incredible transformation in such a short time...
Couple of "Grade A Spuds" I say...
Pretty damn cool man!
Nice work.
Colin, this was an amazing transformation in a short amount of time. Great skills!

Thanks guys!! It’s really fun to have Bonsai Nut as an archive of my progress and the progress of my trees ?

Top Bottom