Brussels Bonsai

RichS

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey has anyone had any dealings with Brussels? I've read post where people have been there and seen great things. But I can't find any feedback from people thats actually purchased from there. More to the point has anyone purchased from there online store? I've been on this quest to procure a JBP and have contacted different places. After alot of research I'm leaning towards Brussels. Just wondering what anyone thinks ?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good trees, bad soil. It’s even better if you can get there in person and find a tree in their grow-out areas. It’s been a few years since I’ve visited, but back then, you could find trees that were a year away from being moved from a big nursery can to a cheap Bonsai pot and doubled in price. That’s where you find the deals.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you deal with them do it directly. Since they went Chain and Big Box Distribution the Vendors have a tendency to not take care of them as they do right there onsite. Although it is a bit of a ride for you Wigert in Fort Myers is also a good onsite source.

Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have gotten several trees from them, and the trees and packing were very good, but the soil turned rock hard and was very difficult to water. I had to change it almost immediately. They sell on Amazon, and generally cheaper than their website. And if you have Prime, free shipping. The last thing I ordered from there, I received in 1 day.

RichS

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mr Bryan thanks for the insight. Unfortunately ill most likely never get a chance to go in person. I've been emailing a Terry Stamps from there after seeing some of their trees on there website. I described what I was looking for and my budget and he was very helpful. I found one I like but having no real experience with JBP I'm still a little apprehensive. Plus the pictures of trees on big sites like that are almost always generic so it's like a shot in the dark I guess. He assured me the tree i seen and liked would be very similar. Here's the one I was wanting to get.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180503-142455.png
    Screenshot_20180503-142455.png
    156.2 KB · Views: 64

RichS

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just wish I could get a win at least one time. I've been burned 3 times from ordering online so I guess its got me frustrated. I just hope I get something decent. I've contacted plant city bonsai (still haven't heard back ) EGGW but Mr Brent said he out of the ones I was looking at. I haven't tried wigerts but from the ones I seen on their website were way out of my budget.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In January I bought a 28” bald cypress off an ebay seller BonsaiSmith with a location of Cordova TN, which coincidentally is right across the boder from Olive Branch MS where Brussels is located. When the box arrived it had a Brussels label and Miss ag certification. The tree was well packaged with a couple bushels of styrafoam peanuts and in a nursery pot where it had been for 3 years. The soil washed out easily and I trimmed the roots and repotted it in a 2” deep ceramic training pot. It seems to be doing fine now with leaves popping out all over the place. They have a bunch of stuff on ebay right now with prices up to $8000 for imported trident specimens. Look for seller 3017smith BonsaiSmith.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wondering what anyone thinks ?

Hehehehe!

Honestly....

They found a way to stay in Bonsai Business....that channel will fuck you if you let it.

Seems to be that Personal Good Business left in there if you go..

But you have to realize these are 2 seperate animals.

I wouldn't buy a tree I can't see because IT IS FUCKING STUPID. One Home Depot can offer much better stuff you can actually see.

They have Pictures on 99cent auctions every week. Actual trees...good channel.

Don't buy that "Black Pine".

Leave that shit for FB morons!

Sorce

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mr Bryan thanks for the insight. Unfortunately ill most likely never get a chance to go in person. I've been emailing a Terry Stamps from there after seeing some of their trees on there website. I described what I was looking for and my budget and he was very helpful. I found one I like but having no real experience with JBP I'm still a little apprehensive. Plus the pictures of trees on big sites like that are almost always generic so it's like a shot in the dark I guess. He assured me the tree i seen and liked would be very similar. Here's the one I was wanting to get.
You are in Florida. There seems to be an abundance of good general nurseries and bonsai establishments down there. Do you have none near you?

You should have lots of great local nursery stock to work with. If you are on the South Gulf Coast look at visiting Wigerts, who you mentioned. I was able to visit them while on a trip early this year. They have tons of good pre-bonsai stock and bonsai. The pre-bonsai started around $20-30 as I recall.

But if not look for local nurseries/garden centers near you where you can look for stock material to work with.

RichS

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm unfortunately situated hours from any reputable nursery. D&L is about the closest to me at about 2 hours. I've been there. They are awesome. But he really only does natives. The few pines he had got from someone else that couldn't take care of them and they were in bad shape. Guess I'll have to plan a vacation and visit some of the other places

RichS

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've actually been able to meet the pres of the gainesville club. He worked on a tree for me and made it awesome. But your right.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just saw Brussels has pots for sale through Lowe's
View attachment 225121
All the bonsai trees sold at Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc, are from Brussel’s. Makes sense they would sell pots, too. Much of the bonsai trees sold at retail at mom and pop bonsai shops are from Brussel’s.

The scale of the place is mind boggling.

They DO have good trees there. Most (by sheer volume) are “starter bonsai” trees. Those subsidize the nicer ones.

Mike Smith (BonsaiSmith) sells Brussel’s trees on eBay. If there’s something you’re looking for, he can probably locate it for you. They have so many specimen trees, they can’t possibly put them all up on the Internet.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
All the bonsai trees sold at Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc, are from Brussel’s. Makes sense they would sell pots, too. Much of the bonsai trees sold at retail at mom and pop bonsai shops are from Brussel’s.

The scale of the place is mind boggling.

They DO have good trees there. Most (by sheer volume) are “starter bonsai” trees. Those subsidize the nicer ones.

Mike Smith (BonsaiSmith) sells Brussel’s trees on eBay. If there’s something you’re looking for, he can probably locate it for you. They have so many specimen trees, they can’t possibly put them all up on the Internet.
FTD, 1-800flowers, whatever it is you name it, lucky bamboo.net, it all drop-ships FedEx from Brussel’s south of the border MS a few miles from FedEx Global HQ in Memphis.

it’s Matt Smith btw fwiw. He’s good people.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
FTD, 1-800flowers, whatever it is you name it, lucky bamboo.net, it all drop-ships FedEx from Brussel’s south of the border MS a few miles from FedEx Global HQ in Memphis.

it’s Matt Smith btw fwiw. He’s good people.
You’re right about it being Matt, not Mike. It was late last night when I was posting.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I recently got a Chinese Elm that came from Brussels. Nice tree with good movement and pruning but 7' of roots wound around the inside of the pot. I root pruned and put back in the same pot with much better bonsai soil. The tree was wired in and was about to explode right out of the pot. Peter

Top Bottom