Trident maple from Brussels

Arbol

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think you should be fine to prune a small handful of branches at the same time as the repot. I'd probably think twice about removing more than 50% of the branches though...at least until I saw how vigorous the tree was growing in my care.

Thank you. It’s really the two branches I have circled that are sitting awkwardly within the main canopy and feel like they should go before they cause more problems.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So you’re recommending to do root work and prune the branches at the same time?
On a trident maple that should not be an issue. They can even be root pruned hard and trunk chopped at the same time.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
So you’re recommending to do root work and prune the branches at the same time?
Tridents have no problems with root reduction and major top pruning at the same time. I routinely do this with several hundred tridents every year. I find it is the best way to develop good nebari, trunk taper and bends in developing trunks. When I say reduction I mean pretty radical reductions too.
CH020109.JPGCH020072.JPG
Both those trees have good nebari and plenty of feeders left because of previous hard root pruning.
This was the first time this trident was dug and pruned so major roots have been chopped hard.
CH090011.JPG

Later root pruning and branch chops at the same time when I need to develop branch ramification.

irvinlamar

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice. I've been looking at one of these in that same price range... Brussels is a 3 hour drive from where I live... may take a day drive over and pick one out in person... I had to prove to my wife that I can keep trees alive through winter without my greenhouse.. so as soon as my chinese elm starts growing again I'm getting one...

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice. I've been looking at one of these in that same price range... Brussels is a 3 hour drive from where I live... may take a day drive over and pick one out in person... I had to prove to my wife that I can keep trees alive through winter without my greenhouse.. so as soon as my chinese elm starts growing again I'm getting one...
You should be good with Chinese elm and tridents in N Alabama, they should take the winters in stride and grow like weeds.

Arbol

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Repotted the trident today. Had water spilling over the sides every time I’d try to water it. Did some root work on it. Forgot to get a before picture but the tree was pretty root bound. Gonna keep it in this pot for the year then go back in next year and re address the roots. Found a lot of thing down growing roots that will need to be readdressed next spring.

This was my first repot ever so any and all feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3177.jpeg
    IMG_3177.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3178.jpeg
    IMG_3178.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3179.jpeg
    IMG_3179.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom