Bristlecone pine?

Sidebar: I'm guessing not everyone's yard looks like this on new years day? Not the messy patio, but the sunny green lawn...
Sidebar to sidebar: how do you reply without quoting entire post? I don't want my responses to look even longer than they already are by quoting everything prior
Separate sidebar completely: any estimation of the age range? I couldn't even throw out a number but I assume its >1 and <4000 years, but don't feel confident to include a confidence interval

I could be wrong, but what I believe Vance said concerning this species is that he has never seen one that has been in container cultivation for a great deal of time.

Does anyone have a picture of one that could be called a decent bonsai? One that has been in a pot for, let's say, 5 to 10 years?

Just curious.

Will
This is true. When I first came on the forums, which goes back to the late 80's I have been asking about Bristle cone Pines and the same question has anyone seen what could be called a world class tree. I have mede the assumptive theory that most of the problem is with the tree is soil that does not drain well and repotting should not be done in the Spring.

Sidebar: I'm guessing not everyone's yard looks like this on new years day? Not the messy patio, but the sunny green lawn...
My lawn is green too, but it isn't very sunny (overcast). I spent most of my life in other places, now it is just another goddamn day in paradise :)
Sidebar to sidebar: how do you reply without quoting entire post? I don't want my responses to look even longer than they already are by quoting everything prior
The simplest way is to highlight the text, then a little reply bubble will appear - just click that bubble and write your response. You can then do it again and the new quoted text (to which you are replying) will appear where ever the cursor was sitting in your draft post.
Separate sidebar completely: any estimation of the age range? I couldn't even throw out a number but I assume its >1 and <4000 years, but don't feel confident to include a confidence interval
I have no idea, but it is a young tree, I think.

btw, thanks for the pix. It is always good to see what you are talking about.
The worst possible background is other leafy things, especially if they are in, or almost in, focus. Good quality photos are only required if you are asking for styling advice. On the other hand, if you've got a pretty good bonsai, extremely good photography that makes it look jaw-droppingly good is highly recommended!

Do you have any freezing Winter temps?
Yes, but most nightly lows seem to hover just above. Every couple weeks when the jet stream dips down bringing northern influence we will get a few days in a row where they tell you to cover your plants with a blanket and leave your faucets at a slow drip. I am going to update my USDA zone however because where I live now is on the flat lowlands of the San Joaquin valley and according to my Western Garden Annual, zone 8 and 9 are only different in that zone 9 is a 'thermal belt' where the colder dense air will sink down to the valley floor, making it warmer in that thermal belt. It said this dies make a difference for citrus farmers, who don't plant in zone 8 but zone 9 is perfect.

I have a tendency to go off on tangents, but the information was new to me and I found it interesting. Are you familiar with the area or do you live near?

This is true. When I first came on the forums, which goes back to the late 80's I have been asking about Bristle cone Pines and the same question has anyone seen what could be called a world class tree. I have mede the assumptive theory that most of the problem is with the tree is soil that does not drain well and repotting should not be done in the Spring.

Yes. Ryan Neil did a live stream on a Yamadori tree in Dec '17. That is why I subscribed. Amazing non traditional tree 😍 . Personal repots have been done in late Winter/early Spring with no obvious negative results. So far has been in commercial Wee Tree substrate but this drains well. Tree is latest one to grow not starting till about May 1 if memory serves. There are new pics from Sept '19 but came out too dark need to find out how to photoshop picso_O.

Last edited:
Yes. Ryan Neil did a live stream on a Yamadori tree in Dec '17. That is why I subscribed. Amazing non traditional tree 😍 . Personal repots have been done in late Winter/early Spring with no obvious negative results. So far has been in commercial Wee Tree substrate but this drains well. Tree is latest one to grow not starting till about May 1 if memory serves. There are new pics from Sept '19 but came out too dark need to find out how to photoshop picso_O.
Another word about BCP most of their budding for side branches come from epicormic buds not the large buds at the terminals.

@Townes Van Tortoise
Nice tree. Your media sounds good, mostly pumice, with a little dolomite at the end is great. Your tree is probably around 7 to 12 years old, but I could be off by a few. It might be older.
Because it was repotted, I would just let it grow thru into 2021, before beginning to think about styling it for bonsai.

Another word about BCP most of their budding for side branches come from epicormic buds not the large buds at the terminals.

A couple words on this: personal tree of mine most or all branches came from yearly branch/apical bud locations as regular trees and this one has few epicormics. I could wish for more;).
This evening Mirai Live presented another Yamadori Bristlecone in slab planting demonstration.

I have mede the assumptive theory that most of the problem is with the tree is soil that does not drain well and repotting should not be done in the Spring
Both true statements.
The one I had did best in substrate with a bunch of lava in it.
The problem I had is they just can't seem to handle cold.

The problem I had is they just can't seem to handle cold.

What is your definition of “cold” in this case? Because without specifics it’s not very useful. I got mine from Todd Schlafer so it was collected in Colorado and recovered in Denver’s climate which sees its share of cold weather.

What is your definition of “cold” in this case? Because without specifics it’s not very useful. I got mine from Todd Schlafer so it was collected in Colorado and recovered in Denver’s climate which sees its share of cold weather.
25 to 40 below zero degrees Fahrenheit.

@Bonsai Nut i know it’s been almost 20 years since this thread started and you have moved across the country…. Did this tree make the migration to the east coast and if so how is it faring?

There was a pretty nice Bristlecone Pine at the US National show this past fall. Not sure if it was remarkable enough for many to remember it outside of photos, but it definitely sparked my interest in the species.

Back
Top Bottom