Bonsai Theft Protection

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're really into this, you could use this technology--drill a small hole somewhere inconspicuous on the trunk insert the chip. Tree heals over it...
That is assuming you have a chance to ID them once stolen.
What i understand, most trees never resurface.

WIth good pictures of your trees in development stages I would say one has good cards to proove a tree was stolen from them

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is assuming you have a chance to ID them once stolen.
What i understand, most trees never resurface.

WIth good pictures of your trees in development stages I would say one has good cards to proove a tree was stolen from them
Possession is 9/10s of the law. Think a cop is going to follow pictures of the complicated development of something he is completely ignorant of? I find that hard to believe and would like to hear THAT conversation. It would be a laugh riot.
Yes, Most trees don't surface, but valuable ones sometimes do--even if it's in a backyard private collection--, as the folks who steal them can be more knowledgeable that your average dimwit thief.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Possession is 9/10s of the law. Think a cop is going to follow pictures of the complicated development of something he is completely ignorant of? I find that hard to believe and would like to hear THAT conversation. It would be a laugh riot.
Yes, Most trees don't surface, but valuable ones sometimes do--even if it's in a backyard private collection--, as the folks who steal them can be more knowledgeable that your average dimwit thief.
Correct..

Police will only be interested in whether or not it is theft of movable property UNDER 2,500.... or OVER...

For the paperwork...

As sad as it IS... Stolen trees are "small potatoes" in most areas, as far as law enforcement is concerned.

I've TWICE had strollers stolen from a closed stairwell... different stairwells...

A children's wagon went missing a few years ago.... I noticed a guy pulling his kids and a case of beer in said wagon (my Son's name still carved in the bottom)..

The common person does not like confrontation..no matter HOW muscular their "typing fingers" are..

..so needless to say..

I got the wagon back. The police where uninterested.

🤓

Can't expect people to 'behave'... this IS humanity, after all.

So we act Human-LY.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you're really into this, you could use this technology--drill a small hole somewhere inconspicuous on the trunk insert the chip. Tree heals over it...

I recall seeing microchips being sold on a bonsai website for this purpose before. If you chipped the tree during repotting, you could insert it in the trunk from below and it wouldn't affect the aesthetics of the tree at all. That said, at this point, I don't have any trees that are valuable enough to bother with microchipping. If I had expensive specimen trees, sure, I would chip them.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I live in a very small town and my only neighbors are old people that probably can't see my trees from their house, we have a big yard. If someone wanted to walk up and steal something when they're outside, they could. Our big dog died a few years ago and we both work fulltime. I have nicer pots than trees, so that would be my biggest loss.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Fencing, cameras, dogs, and guns. In that case, this might qualify for the “most recent bonsai purchase” thread.😂
37FE1842-4138-48E5-B106-3ACD68357B84.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Fencing, cameras, dogs, and guns. In that case, this might qualify for the “most recent bonsai purchase” thread.😂
View attachment 419803
Aren't these for folks who aren't 'good shots'? ;)

Just rustlin yer spuds, Brian.

You're looking good, too, Hoss, by the way.. not sure if anyone told you that.

:)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks. With the price of ammo, you can’t afford to be a bad shot.😂
Those ARE Fun, though..

My Friend had an AR 15.. and rubber bullets..

I, and several others present,can CONFIRM that the pain will drop you at 75 yards. 😂.

I'm True to 50 yards with my stupid little Taurus... The range is fun. Except for people trying to take my brass.

😂😂

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Lucky for me my neighbors think I'm nuts. That I wander around my backyard in freezing weather studying sticks planted in what looks like kitty litter has only solidified their opinions of me and makes it highly unlikely they would ever venture into my backyard.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Also.. I really have to, again, point out... that the 'America' you experience.. may not be the same as others..
For instance, this interview with YNT... a 'neighborhood group' from green bay..

One of these guys was a friend/business associate of mine.. and I knew, by acquaintance, two others in the video. This is back when I lived in East Side Green Bay..

Aaanyways.. multiple times during the interview (fairly early) you hear gunshots (and more times throughout) .. and the guys getting interviewed are casual and don't even react...

Mind you, this is gunshots, roughly 5 blocks from Downtown Green Bay.... 105,000 people(ish)...

And it's just commonplace enough that it becomes background noise to the residents.

:(

Last edited:
Top Bottom