Bonsai Theft Protection

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've come across some threads here on bonsai theft and tool creation and thought these could be combined. I do not have anything worth protecting just yet, but have given some thought on how to prevent folks from simply walking away with my trees (I am a Brooklyn boy at heart). What I came up with are basically alternative ways of using a hole in the pot to secure the tree. One way would be to use something like a lockable file drawer. Holes could be drilled on top of the drawer and the pot attached to the box with nuts and bolts. Then the drawer is locked. Alternatively, a similar design could be employed to secure a combination lock to the pot and then to a heavy bench. I think this could be easily created so that one cannot steal a tree without destroying the pot it is in. This should be more trouble than it's worth for a would be thief.

I also gave some thought to using a cabinet similar to what the spray paint is kept in at a big box store. The cabinet locks and I was wondering if the metal grates that make up the cabinet could also serve to dapple sun.

What if anything do folks here do to secure their valuable trees? (I'm guessing Ebihara just nailed his trees to some immovable object)

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In my very limited experience I would think having a tether to each pot would become cumbersome fairly quickly. That said I have the luxury of being in the suburbs - if someone was in my yard I would have more than a couple questions.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use bicycle locks to anchor some of my better trees to the bench. It's not going to stop anybody if they're really determined (just like it wouldn't stop a bike thief if they're really determined to steal your bike and showed up with the tools to get past this obstacle), but it'll at least deter the impulsive teen who sees the tree and, in that moment, has the thought, "Ooh! That's awesome! I want one!" long enough to for them to be distracted by the next shiny thing they see or, perhaps, for some other thoughts to eventually form in their brain, "Yeah, it's cool, but I have no idea how to take care of it. Besides, my mom is going to ask where it came from and she's going to call me out on it if I try to make up a story. She'll take away my PlayStation for a month!"

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I know it sucks, but I'm sure one could include bonsai in home owners or renters insurance. Should cover theft as long as you have them valued. Nothing can replace the time and effort put into a bonsai, but some money to start with some nice material can certainly help ease the pain.

With all the theft going on this seems like something I would do If my trees weren't on the top floor balcony

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have the perfect alarm system….100lbs of fur and teeth to protect my plants. Now I just gotta get some plants worth protecting 🤣
This as a slight deterrent. Camera's & broad-beam motion-detected lamps are another. A friend of min keeps the bonsai is a 3D locked-off space which I might copy one day.

I'm sure one could include bonsai in home owners or renters insurance.
Not here unless it is secured against theft, and the premiums are high. A little like your car is not insured if you leave it open with the keys in it somewhere.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've come across some threads here on bonsai theft and tool creation and thought these could be combined. I do not have anything worth protecting just yet, but have given some thought on how to prevent folks from simply walking away with my trees (I am a Brooklyn boy at heart). What I came up with are basically alternative ways of using a hole in the pot to secure the tree. One way would be to use something like a lockable file drawer. Holes could be drilled on top of the drawer and the pot attached to the box with nuts and bolts. Then the drawer is locked. Alternatively, a similar design could be employed to secure a combination lock to the pot and then to a heavy bench. I think this could be easily created so that one cannot steal a tree without destroying the pot it is in. This should be more trouble than it's worth for a would be thief.

I also gave some thought to using a cabinet similar to what the spray paint is kept in at a big box store. The cabinet locks and I was wondering if the metal grates that make up the cabinet could also serve to dapple sun.

What if anything do folks here do to secure their valuable trees? (I'm guessing Ebihara just nailed his trees to some immovable object)
The best defenses against theft is to keep your trees out of line of sight from the street/other houses/kids/neighbors behind a high opaque fence. Also helps to keep BIG trees that aren't easily transported and to keep your mouth shut about owning them. You can rig all sorts of anchors/weights, chains, cameras or whatever but if a thief wants, a thief gets.

If your trees are visible from the street, you can EXPECT to have them taken.

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Just a story. We lived in Birmingham, AL at one point. Birmingham has a nice Japanese garden as a part of their Arboretum, with a bonsai display adjacent to a Japanese structure. The building was within 20 feet of a tall fence with a busy street outside the property. When we first started going, the bonsai were beautiful, old, expensive trees, donated to the Arboretum, by folks who evidently had lots of money to invest in specimen trees. One night, someone came over the fence and selectively stole maybe 10 or 15 of the best trees. Now, the exhibit is caged in like the gig cat cages at a zoo. Sad because they never caught anyone and the bars enclosing the benches take a lot away from the exhibit. The remaining trees are nice, but nowhere close to what was once there.

I hate to have so little faith in others, but never think your collection is safe because it is away from a thief. As for me, I will show my trees to anyone who wants to see, so I guess I learned nothing from Birmingham. Just seems a shame to see a nice collection behind cages.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If someone came into my yard and stole a tree from me I would get over it pretty easily. I practice not getting attached to things on a daily basis, very freeing. The thing that worries me is .. once someone steals one tree, what is stopping them from visiting here and there and taking everything. I can't imagine working on (and spending money on) trees that I knew would be stolen within a year or two. It would take away my only artistic outlet 😖 But I guess that's what imperial size bonsai is for haha

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Trespassing around here is deterred by a consistently armed populus... which isn't great, either...

But all the "Hick Boasting" about what can and can't be done to trespassers... keeps any petty theft at bay.

I live in a small, woody, lakefront area between two larger areas...

Way out here... Taking by FORCE is more common.. and (most) those who would take by Force.. wouldn't take my trees.

If someone came into my yard and stole a tree from me I would get over it pretty easily. I practice not getting attached to things on a daily basis, very freeing.
And THIS..

🤓

When bird droppings plummet toward the earth... they must land somewhere. It's not the bird's fault... it's not YOUR fault. Shit just happens.. Can't live your life AROUND the bird droppings.... so why waste energy trying.

In Populous, city areas.. the best deterrents have been noted by members above..

Line of site

Cameras.

Lights.
Locks.

Guard Dogs.

I've had VERY good experiences with "Guard Llamas"

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We, the untalented do not have this problem.
Trees so ugly, robbers drop off plants out of sympathy.
Mallsai are stolen pretty often, probably more than "good" trees...Most thieves aren't bonsai experts and are looking for something to put on top of their TVs or sell for meth money...Your ugly trees are not immune from theft.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Place all bonsai on trip alarms. Activates sirens, flood lights, some voice that says something like “you have been recorded and the authorities notified, put the tree down and walk away. you have 10 seconds to comply”.

Top Bottom