Bonsai fertilizer

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looked at the website and at a dosage of 1/2 tsp per gallon I would assume that's every watering. I use Foliage-Pro from the same company in a similar way.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just added a supplement, a Japanese product called HB-101. I can't say yet if it's helpful or not. Anyone have any feedback on it? I'll take every added percent of benefit I can.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For those that use a liquid fish emulsion, how do you prefer to administer it? Sprayer? Watering can? How frequently?

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have been using some "Uncle Bill's Bonsai Brew" (3-3-3) once per week for that last 3 weeks. I haven't noticed anything other than some leaf burning of some seedlings that I accidentally doused.

Is 3-3-3 for trees that you want to maintain and too weak for a tree that I want to grow and regain a lot of strength?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For those that use a liquid fish emulsion, how do you prefer to administer it? Sprayer? Watering can? How frequently?

I mix it in a 5 gallon bucket then use a measuring cup to pour it out onto the soil of each tree I want to feed.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Forgot to add. I feed trees under development every 2 weeks and more developed trees once a month sometimes less depending on the tree.
Its also species dependent. Some trees get fed starting in March/April, others dont get fed until after their needles/leaves harden off. And some (JPB) I stop feeding in July and August while thier second flush of candles is developing to keep the internodes small.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I bought this fertilizer. How often should I use it?
Been using that stuff for years. I apply at double strength once a week... but I am using an almost 100% in-organic substrat.
My deciduous trees really seem to dig it.
You might want to look for the Dyna-Grow “Grow” fertilizer… It’s the same stuff as their “Bonsai Pro” fertilizer But you get it 32oz instead of 8oz for about $7bucks more.... also comes in gallon size.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I got banned from the bonsai section of gardenweb.com c. 2001 for inquiring if anyone just pinched off a loaf onto the pot and called it a day.

I was talking about bigger trees obviously, but that was probably a moot point.

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Been using that stuff for years. I apply at double strength once a week... but I am using an almost 100% in-organic substrat.
My deciduous trees really seem to dig it.
You might want to look for the Dyna-Grow “Grow” fertilizer… It’s the same stuff as their “Bonsai Pro” fertilizer But you get it 32oz instead of 8oz for about $7bucks more.... also comes in gallon size.

I'm not OP, but I have the same fertilizer (also with largely inorganic soil) and same questions. All my trees are in large containers and in the grow phase.

I was planning on fertilizing once a week. Glad to see my plan is solid.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does anyone else have issues with flies? They seem to love my Dr. Earth in tea bags...

More annoying than anything else.

niddyyo

Seed
Reaction score
I guess it would, but I see no need for both. I have about 60 bonsai and several shrubs and small trees and 10 bucks of Miracle-Gro lasts a whole year at the doubled rate I use it. The idea that a liquid fertilizer is labeled especially for bonsai seems a bit shakey.
Do you mean the blue water soluble crystals? All purpose stuff?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Many of the organics have a base that attracts little critters, that is why I chose Neem Meal instead of cottonseed meal used in the traditional formulae.
Not all organics are the same.
I am interested in adding cilica to my fertilizer regimen this year. All my trees are in Development, in growing containers, and will receive granular slow release 10-10-10.

In your experience or expertise, will this be beneficial and safe to give? I have considered adding a liquid fast release but I suspect there could be risk of overfertilizing (using all 3) and causing detriment to health.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am interested in adding cilica to my fertilizer regimen this year. All my trees are in Development, in growing containers, and will receive granular slow release 10-10-10.

In your experience or expertise, will this be beneficial and safe to give? I have considered adding a liquid fast release but I suspect there could be risk of overfertilizing (using all 3) and causing detriment to health.
The "add in" liquid that's sold as a bonsai premium will precipitate out of solution (form crystals) if used in water with fertilizer (used it myself and observed this and threw the rest of it out). It's meant to build up cell walls and make them more drought/bug resistant. It does that marginally. You can get better results from both if you water in a quarter teaspoon of plain old epsom salt into a gallon of water every week or two and water your trees with it.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not familiar with that product. Granular fertilizers termed slow release can be a broad range of effectiveness dependant on many variables. Not my regular routine at all. Would not recommend unless I was familiar with the specific brand and formulation. One I do have confidence in is called Apex Plus. Lower numbers, temperature controlled release and longer lasting than most. Even then it is a supplementary use for young developing trees, not used in more advanced pre bonsai or refinement applications. Typically within the first five to seven years of development depending on the species.

Top Bottom