Bonsai Album for PC - productivity app

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've started a separate thread for my forthcoming app, since I thought it might get overlooked in the iOS app thread.

Bonsai Album is an app to organize your collection of bonsai and pots. It's currently available on Mac and iOS, and now I'm busily working on a PC version.

While you might be getting by with a spreadsheet or notebook, this app is a fully-fledged database, and it's a whole lot more interactive than anything else. It includes some additional features over and above the iOS version, like photo organization, printing, and enhanced search capabilities. You’ll also be able to transfer data between the PC and iOS versions over WiFi.

I plan to localize the app into multiple languages, including English, Japanese, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Portuguese. While I'd like support for all these languages in the first version, it may take longer than expected.

You can find out more about the app, including the first screenshot, in today's blog post.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
I don't know if this is possible to add into your app. I have a hobo data logger (temp only) for my green house. I load the data weekly it automatically formats this into a graph for me. Could there be some way to imput these graphs into your new app so i can not only track my growth but also my temps over time?

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, the app isn't designed for temperature tracking and graphing. You could add log events for recording general temperature changes (e.g. for seasons), but it probably wouldn't be suitable for the kind of granularity you're after.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This really looks cool! Keep us posted please. I'm not sure I want it on my iPad or iPhone. But I could change my mind.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just read the app description from your link. Wow, you've put a lot of work into it for sure. Can't wait to see the Windows version.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Windows PC version of Bonsai Album is almost complete! I'll be spending the next week or two localizing the app into various languages (Japanese, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Portuguese) and tidying up a few odds and ends, then it'll be ready for Beta testing.

If you're interested, or have some friends who are also interested in bonsai, you might want to sign-up to the Bonsai Album for PC mailing list on my site. Not only will you be notified the instant the app is released, but you can also have an early peek when the Beta test starts.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've used the full Bonsai Album App on the iPad for a couple of years now. It is fabulous and does an excellent job of pulling together information. I particularly like using the "Logs" function to set current and future task to do or tasks to consider. Automatically it populates my calendar. When I travel I have access to my information and can examine my tree material....and think. Inside a tree's "Notes" tab I can easily write down any thoughts I have, any time and anywhere, on the tree and what I may want to explore. This App keeps me well organized. Definitely 5 Gold Stars.

What do I wish for in the App? Additional photo spaces. I'd like to maintain a filing of similar tree photos I admire that may influence a direction I am taking...or perhaps should consider. I'd like an additional 5 to 10 photo spaces. I can always wish.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tieball: Did you know the Photos button on the top-right of each Info screen lets you add more than 5 photos? I suppose I could add more slots on the Info screen now that the screens are scrollable, but that was really the intent behind the Photos screen.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome!
I did not know that....now I do. Thanks. That will help me a lot. I used the Photos + to add several photos. Excellent.

Last edited:

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, the PC version uses the same format as the iOS version. You can transfer the database to and from iPad, iPhone and iPod touch and the PC version over WiFi.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use my brain. Still works great. For now.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about an app for android? You do know that 3/4 of all cell phones operate on an Android system? Much larger market for you.
I on the other hand I will still just keep track of everything in the most powerful computer on earth. The big bald thing sitting on my shoulders.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
M. Frary: I'm well aware of that. From a developers perspective Android is a bit of a nightmare, though. With thousands of devices and tens of operating system versions to support, it's frankly impossible for a one-man-band like me to keep up with Android. If the market for bonsai apps on Android is truly huge, I'd expect no shortage of good apps for tracking trees. Can anyone else chime in with some good recommendations for similar apps on Android?

I'm impressed that you can track everything in your head. I'd expect most people to at least need a good notebook and camera once they have a decent number of trees.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only have 60 or so. Just looking at them every day you remember what needs to be done. Maybe when I get more I will group them somehow. Like age or development. As I get older I may need to keep some sort of log or journal but right now it's great brain exercise. Keeps it limbered up.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Bonsai Album for PC v2.0.0.0 update is now available direct from my website. This version includes:

- Increased photo resolution when adding new photos.
- Added Extra-Large photos option for the Bonsai Report feature.
- Log photos are now automatically added to the associated Bonsai and Pot.
- New Bonsai fields: ID, In Collection, Value, Sell Price, Fertilizer, Location, Weight, Light, Temperature, Medium.
- Bonsai Source field is now an editable text field.
- New Pot fields: ID, In Collection, Value, Sell Price, Weight, Location.
- Added Semi-Cascade Pot shape.
- Pots can now be sorted by shape.
- Bonsai and Pot lists now show ID field and In Collection state.
- Bonsai and Pots can now be hidden if not in your collection.
- Added barred snowflake icon for Bonsai with Winter Indoors set to Yes.
- Bonsai search can now filter trees needing Winter Indoors by starting to search for "Winter Indoors".
- Value statistic now takes the new Value fields into account.
- Added Apply button to Info windows.
- Increased photo caption font size.
- Added table right-click context menu.
- Added Duplicate Item feature.
- Bug fixes.

Enjoy!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
The Bonsai Album for PC v2.0.0.0 update is now available direct from my website. This version includes:

- Increased photo resolution when adding new photos.
- Added Extra-Large photos option for the Bonsai Report feature.
- Log photos are now automatically added to the associated Bonsai and Pot.
- New Bonsai fields: ID, In Collection, Value, Sell Price, Fertilizer, Location, Weight, Light, Temperature, Medium.
- Bonsai Source field is now an editable text field.
- New Pot fields: ID, In Collection, Value, Sell Price, Weight, Location.
- Added Semi-Cascade Pot shape.
- Pots can now be sorted by shape.
- Bonsai and Pot lists now show ID field and In Collection state.
- Bonsai and Pots can now be hidden if not in your collection.
- Added barred snowflake icon for Bonsai with Winter Indoors set to Yes.
- Bonsai search can now filter trees needing Winter Indoors by starting to search for "Winter Indoors".
- Value statistic now takes the new Value fields into account.
- Added Apply button to Info windows.
- Increased photo caption font size.
- Added table right-click context menu.
- Added Duplicate Item feature.
- Bug fixes.

Enjoy!

I used your original app years ago when you first released it. It was great. Thanks for the hard work over the years.

Top Bottom