Bonsai Album app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry to hijack the thread.Probably still will not be able to make a simple album using the camera roll with dates displayed on a very expensive phone.Though I am still very much anticipating iOS 7 this fall to see if it may finally be possible.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ahh,maybe an actual app is better.I do not know if the cloud will restore any camera roll albums I make.I know it restores the app I use to make bonsai albums though.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Bonsai Album v2.1 update is now available on the App Store. This version includes:

- Added iOS 7 support
- New iOS 7-style minimalist interface
- Bug fixes

If you're enjoying Bonsai Album, please take a moment to rate or review it on the App Store. Thanks!

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Windows version??

Andrew how is the windows version coming? Nothing out there that can touch yours or is current. Would be a boon for those of us who don't have the new "toys".

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doug: nothing to report on the Windows version just yet. I pretty much have to rewrite the app from scratch, so I'm not expecting to have anything to show until next year. Hang in there!

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Bonsai Album v2.2 update is now available on the App Store. This version includes:

- Camera view now appears in full-screen instead of a popup on iPad
- Fixed add button tap issues on iOS 7

If you're enjoying Bonsai Album, please take a moment to rate or review it on the App Store. Thanks!

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I love your app. Thank you for making it and keeping it updated. I'll double check that I rated it.
Ian
p.s. Unfortunately I've had a couple trees up and die on me... hard to know what to do with them in the app as I don't want to fully delete them in case I want to look back at them. So I now change the name to ZZ name. (like ZZ jap maple.) That way the dead ones are all at the bottom of the list. In the future my plan is just to not kill any more trees :)

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Ian - the trick with the app is to create a new Log entry containing a new Event called something like Tree Died. You can select the corresponding Bonsai in that Log entry, and then you've got a dated log that'll appear in the Log History for the tree. For ease of searching, you could also append (Dead) to the tree name. I hope that helps!

hozookie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Andrew. Is it possible or can you make it possible to link photos in the logs to the main entry photo library? I want to avoid adding duplicate photos.

Also, can you include an (+) option to add more than 2 photos per log entry? Thanks!

Very helpful app, btw. Thanks

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, iOS doesn't allow you to link to photos from the device photo library. The app reduces the resolution of the photos before adding to the database, so they take up much less room (if that's a concern?).

You can add more than 2 photos per log by returning to the log after you've created it, and then tap the Photos button that appears in the top-right. You may add as many as you wish. This same process also applies to Bonsai and Pot records.

hozookie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the explanation on how to add more than 2 photos per log entry. It's an extra step, but seems to work fine.

Per the photo library request, I don't mean iOS photo library, but each individual Bonsai Info photos within the app. Not sure if it makes sense, but what I'm hoping to happen is to have an option for all the Log Info photos (per bonsai) to be incorporated into the Bonsai Info photos. What I'm doing and want to avoid is to upload a photo for a log, then upload the same photo into the main bonsai entry to see its overall progression.

Hope that make sense. It's a convenience and not a big deal at all. I know I can always go into the Log History, but after many many log entries, it gets tiresome.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah, I understand. I'll have to think about that. It'll be tricky though, since the app wasn't designed with that in mind.

Would you be happy with only linking photos from bonsai to logs, or would you also want the option to link the reverse? i.e. from logs to bonsai

hozookie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm already very happy with the app! I want to see it even better :D

I would link photos from logs to bonsai as I add logs regularly and the bonsai entry remain mostly unchanged. Since each log is link to a bonsai, possibly consider just an option to "Show in Photos" for each log photo.

Thanks for the consideration!

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I love this app, but is there a way to have the next version flip horizontally when you turn your phone? Makes it easier to type, and I like viewing apps on my phone this way. Apologies if it has been mentioned before.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The app rotates the display on iPad, but due to the current layout on the iPhone, I designed it to stay vertical. Your feedback comes at a good time, though. I'm planning some interface changes with my next app (Cactus Album) and, depending how that works out, you might see some of the changes in a future update of Bonsai Album, too.

Thanks for the feedback!

goosetown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you think you'll ever have time to do a build for Android? This looks awesome and the only option for my Samsung suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not as simple as doing a build for Android. I'd need to rewrite the app from scratch, and I don't have any plans for that. Sorry!

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Per Tom's earlier question about having the fields turn sidewise when rotating your phone, my recently released app, Cactus Album, does this. I'll be taking a similar approach with my next app, Orchid Album.

I'm planning to overhaul the Bonsai Album interface in the same fashion. If you want to get an idea how it'll look, check out Cactus Album Lite and let me know what you think :)

Top Bottom