Bnut weekend challenge starting 3-29-13

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Okay, I started a new weekend challenge with date. So this is the weekend of the 29th (Friday) 2013.

Looking for my next project..:D

Best,
Dorothy

I'm in for this weekend. my project is to advance this premna .

best wishes, sam

DSC04503.jpg

Last edited:
Going to Plant City Bonsai in Clermont, GA, for a workshop with Owen Reich on azaleas. I have not met or worked with Owen Reich before and am excited. Hopefully I will have a new azalea worthy of posting.

After last weekend with Bjorn, I have Ryan Bell on the search for a special pot for the azalea Bjorn and I worked on. Can't repot until next February so we have plenty of time to find the right pot.

Cascade, your weekend project thread is a great idea. It is forcing me to actually plan rather than working haphazardly.

I will be working on this Juniper. Average material. It is a parsonii / San Jose mix, as best as I can tell.

The tricky part is that on the side with the nicer trunk feature(s) the trees are both leaning away, and I mean the entire trunks lean, not just the tops. Also, the front of one trunk rather displays the back of the other one and vica versa.

It would be easy to just go for a nice semi cascade and strip the taller tree to bare deadwood. However, that would calculate for about 50% of the tree being eliminanted without having pruned any branches on the semi cascading trunk. Too risky, unless you do it over time.
With collected material I am very hesitant to prune away big chunks. I prefer to rather work with what I have and to bring out the best potential of the material, if possible.

The Juniper is typical urban or else yamadori, thin trunks, incoherent movement of trunks and branches. And yet, there is character, to me the only feature a tree material needs to have to end up being a dignified believable tree. Character does not neccessarily means age, it means natural traits that help our eye to instantly classify the material in regards to quality and age(youth).

Pics:

IMG_4756.jpg

IMG_4757.jpg

IMG_4761.jpg

IMG_4765.jpg

Best,
Dorothy

urban yamadori

I'm going to assist my ex spruce up her landscaping. Currently she has these awful looking over-grown bushes. It's the least I can do for her after she's been so kind to me over the years. :rolleyes:

First is a nandina. I've never seen one with this trunked up in person:

2013-03-27 17.26.18.jpg

And then there's this:

2013-03-27 17.26.31.jpg

2013-03-27 17.26.37.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what it is but it seems to backbud on old wood and the leaves aren't too big. Anyone have an idea on what this is?

I'm going to assist my ex spruce up her landscaping. Currently she has these awful looking over-grown bushes. It's the least I can do for her after she's been so kind to me over the years. :rolleyes:

First is a nandina. I've never seen one with this trunked up in person:

View attachment 33238

And then there's this:

View attachment 33239

View attachment 33240

I'm not exactly sure what it is but it seems to backbud on old wood and the leaves aren't too big. Anyone have an idea on what this is?

Wow, best nandina trunk I've seen so far.

2nd looks like ligustrum to me.

This is what I hope to be doing here the end of this week... scouting pines and junis... and checking on progress with the deciduous. It's getting warmer out! :cool:

This pic is from about two weeks ago and things were melting fast... until it got cold again:confused: -- but it's warming up again and buds are swelling :D
IMG_1924.jpg

or Camellia j. ?? they do back bud. on old wood too, but best to leave veg.

I think you're right. I looked closer and noticed the leaves toothed and are alternating. Definitely not ligustrum anymore. :eek:

This is what I hope to be doing here the end of this week... scouting pines and junis... and checking on progress with the deciduous. It's getting warmer out! :cool:

This pic is from about two weeks ago and things were melting fast... until it got cold again:confused: -- but it's warming up again and buds are swelling :D
View attachment 33241

Very nice place! ...can I come along???? ;)

colorado blue spruce

I was a lowes to pick up the small bark nuggets I use in my mix and saw some colorado blue spruce...regularly 59.98 reduced to 14.98.. 5-6 ft tall

couldn't resist as the trunk and nebari quite large, with some movement in the trunk. Tons of emerging buds and low branches. ouch wish I had had gloves ...feeling around the trunk and moving branches to check taper and movement was not fun

They were from christmas (in plastic decorative pots). I understand why they were on clearance,

When I removed from pot to check the soil n roots I found a solid mass of hard clay like yuck which basically just fell away from the roots... some large roots had been hacked to fit in the pot and were dead but there were live feeder roots. A half inch of potting soil was covering the muck.

I put them in fresh mix , just removed muck, didn't touch the feeder roots, thinned out and shortened some branches -hopefully to balance out the tree energy and encourage root development.

Did take some before pics which I will add later (on my phone).

Just a heads up to check Lowe's, your store may have them also, if you've ever wanted to try a blue spruce. Trunk larger than a pop can, nebari even larger. take gloves, haha

Rose from Oregon

Boxwood Forest

Every Spring I have to spend a couple of hours pushing back the growth on this forest planting. I do this in the middle of the summer as well. I would say I took off about half of the foliage. Mid summer is a little less.

For those of you new to bonsai, this forest already has it's structure in place. Now what I do is trim the upward growth on any branch to almost nothing. New growth moving laterally gets a little more length before I pluck it. New growth under a branch, in a crotch, on a random part of trunk get trimmed off. The other priority is creating separation between trees. It only takes half a summer for everything to fill back in. It's important to keep the top a little sparse as all the energy goes there and reverse taper problems can happen in a single summer.

Photo Mar 30, 1 01 33 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 30, 3 21 21 PM.jpg

I plan on repotting it this spring. I know it is a little pot bound. We still have a lot of freezing temps to go here so...back to the cold frame for now!!

Repotted 2 white pines. One minor, one that is dying from root-rot.

The minor repot:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 47
And the root-rot case...this one really irked me, since it was imported, supposedly bare-root, and quarantined at the nursery, then to find muddy horrible dirt around the roots makes no sense. I asked to see the roots before I bought it and was denied. Should have walked away right then. I won't make that error again.

The original pot was the rectangle, what was left of the roots fit into that smaller 15x3" oval.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 48
That would irk me, too...I hope the sick pine does well going forward.

Thanks, kinda wish I would have gotten a little more curious about what was going on in the pot last spring.

Back
Top Bottom