Full-bodied and bushy Blue Rug Juniper

Nice slant and split to the trunk(s)
Silvery soft blue foliage
Pads will be dense and soft

IMG_4500.jpeg
IMG_4501.jpeg
Dead and weak interiors removed

IMG_4509.jpeg

Removing directly downward growing foliage that will not be used and opening the tree to air and light

IMG_4523.jpeg
IMG_4525.jpeg
IMG_4538.jpeg

This will be an amazing bonsai

Attachments

• IMG_4497.jpeg
    IMG_4497.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4515.jpeg
    IMG_4515.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 7

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Juniper squamata is not the best species for bonsai. The foliage will always look strange, and in a small tree (such as yours) out of proportion. It is hard to wire the shoots and form any convincing foliage pads. I have yet to see a decent refined specimen.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Juniper squamata is not the best species for bonsai. The foliage will always look strange, and in a small tree (such as yours) out of proportion. It is hard to wire the shoots and form any convincing foliage pads. I have yet to see a decent refined specimen.
This will be an amazing bonsai, the foliage is perfect for soft dense pads.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This IS a Juniperus squamata, not a blue rug juniper. And I applaud yiur optimism, but some species simply are not suitable for bonsai

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This IS a Juniperus squamata, not a blue rug juniper. And I applaud yiur optimism, but some species simply are not suitable for bonsai
I already state below that I agree with Rudd on it being blue star (I mislabeled, oh well). You saying it isn’t suitable for bonsai doesn’t change the fact that it is and confirmed by a well known bonsai professional and artist. 🤩

coffee

Seedling
Reaction score
I already state below that I agree with Rudd on it being blue star (I mislabeled, oh well). You saying it isn’t suitable for bonsai doesn’t change the fact that it is and confirmed by a well known bonsai professional and artist. 🤩
You do you! I generally dislike how pretentious some people around surrounding the SUBJECTIVE ART of bonsai. Give this thing some love and I’m curious to see how it develops!

Top Bottom