Black pine seedling cuttings

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I have about 80 extra black pine cuttings leftover that I am offering for sale. I tried to pick a few “average” seedlings from the group to give you an idea of size and root spread. Some seedlings will be slightly smaller and some slightly larger. These will be a great start for shohin or slightly larger black pine bonsai because it forces buds about an inch above the nebari, and obviously gives you the start of perfect nebari. I’ve done this for a number of years for personal trees, and they develop fairly quickly. With the wire scarring technique, it’s easy to have an inch or greater trunk in 3-4 years. Asking $5 per seedling plus shipping. I’ll offer a discount if you buy 20 or more seedlings. I will try to be as efficient as possible with finding small boxes to ship small quantities in. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_3074.jpeg
    IMG_3074.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3071.jpeg
    IMG_3071.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3068.jpeg
    IMG_3068.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3067.jpeg
    IMG_3067.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3073.jpeg
    IMG_3073.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3070.jpeg
    IMG_3070.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 97

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn, first time seeing closeup of the actual seedling cutting. I must definitely give it a go next season.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Oh yeah, the technique is a winner for sure. I tried to do my best to document the root spread in a still image, but you really need a video rotating around it. The one image with the seed line perched on my pinky tip is a good representation of what you can expect. You should do yourself a favor and fast forward a year for the cost of $5 ; )

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh yeah, the technique is a winner for sure. I tried to do my best to document the root spread in a still image, but you really need a video rotating around it. The one image with the seed line perched on my pinky tip is a good representation of what you can expect. You should do yourself a favor and fast forward a year for the cost of $5 ; )
Definitely worth it. Do you know if the seedling cutting technique can be done on any seedling or is it a pine thing? Ive only found material on pines so far.

231yama

Seedling
Reaction score
How much for shipping, where are you?

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
How much for shipping, where are you?
I’m located in pittsburgh, PA. So far, shipping has been somewhat inexpensive. Less than $10 for ten or less seedlings to a northeast destination.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Damn, first time seeing closeup of the actual seedling cutting. I must definitely give it a go next season.
I just repotted a couple of the ones I cut in 2022. It was my first time getting a look at the roots. They were very flat, radial, and disk-shaped. The only thing I noticed on these vs the ones I didn't cut from the same batch is that it slowed their growth slightly. However, going forward they are in perfect position to be future bonsai because the roots are already shaped for a shallow pot.

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just repotted a couple of the ones I cut in 2022. It was my first time getting a look at the roots. They were very flat, radial, and disk-shaped. The only thing I noticed on these vs the ones I didn't cut from the same batch is that it slowed their growth slightly. However, going forward they are in perfect position to be future bonsai because the roots are already shaped for a shallow pot.
Do you know if this method works on other species? I've ever only seen people do it with pines.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Do you know if this method works on other species? I've ever only seen people do it with pines.
I don't know. I've only seen it on JBP. I suspect it's less successful on other trees. On species that you can air layer, it's probably better to air layer anyways.

D

Deleted member 49943

Any updated pictures?

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Any updated pictures?
Hey Matthew,

What other photos would you like to see? They are seedlings, so they are all pretty uniform. There aren’t defining characteristics like trunk lines, bark etc. at this stage. Let me know if you are looking for something specific and I can try to capture it better.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
first time seeing closeup of the actual seedling cutting.
I tried to do my best to document the root spread in a still image, but you really need a video rotating around it.
I tried to do this, but also was not too succesfull. These things are small (and my camera does not autofocus!).

Video link starts at the lifting of a seedling cutting from the pot:

Jackzh

Seed
Reaction score
I also made a batch of Japanese black pine seedlings in December last year, but I want to know how to buy Japanese black pine seeds (Mikawa black pine) in the United States.IMG20231129203855.jpgIMG20231221195314.jpgIMG20231226205813.jpgIMG20231226210743.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20231227135436.jpg
    IMG20231227135436.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom