Japanese Black Pine Seedling Unfamiliar Territory

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I know, the tropical/flower gal posting in the Pine Forum. I'm not lost, well maybe somewhat. A surprise little Japanese Black Pine seedling was gifted to me by @Pitoon when I received my Nippon Daisies. Instead of pestering him to death in PM's, I'll ask here. It was sown in 2020. I know absolutely nothing about Pines, so any suggestions are appreciated. My son has been on me to get a Pine of some sort, because he says those are the "cool looking" bonsai. So guess I have one now! jbp.jpgjbp2.jpgjbp roots.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would repot it into a larger pot, using a mix that was at least half or more pumice or perlite. I would just let it grow for a year or two. If you have a one gallon nursery can laying around, that would be a good size to move it into. Try not to remove roots, just pot it up.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice little pine! Looks like it needs to finda good place to grow.

I put my little guys in Boon mix for awhile, wire to give some movement, then stuffed them all in the ground in a nice sunny spot last fall at the end of their first year here.

Now I wait...

cheers DSD sends

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Check out Jonas Dupuich’s blog “bonsai tonight”. It will basically walk you through seeding to 15 years +. It was very helpful to me when I started out with two germinated seedlings 11 years ago and I was in the same boat as you.
Thanks, I'll check it out, I do subscribe to his blog.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Carol 83 make sure gradually introduce it back into the sun light. It was inside a pitch black box for about a week......after keep it in full sunlight and then add a little fertilizer.

Top Bottom