Japanese black pine branching

louieis3

Seedling
Reaction score
Just purchased this little black pine. How do I create branching on the lower trunk?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You should complete your profile and post pictures in the thread rather than as your avatar.
As for the pine if you wish lower branches they would likely be grafted on, unless you grew out a large sacrificial branch, then reduced it to initiate back budding blow the cit off point. Given the particular condition of this tree and the remaining branches the best bet over the shortest period of time would be grafting.
Having said that the tree appears very young and the distance up to the branching in not likely more than 8 to ten inches. So if that is the case I would use the movement, grow the sapling out into a larger Pine with a thicker base and develop the tree with apical leaders, alternating over the next decade or so.
How tall is the bare portion below the current branches?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ok, if the tree in your avatar is what you were asking about then you might consider two options. First you could develop it as a bunjin or literati form. Second you could fold it down around the base and create a convoluted shohin design. Both these options have been covered in several YouTube videos on the bonsai Q channel.

Last edited:

louieis3

Seedling
Reaction score
You should complete your profile and post pictures in the thread rather than as your avatar.
As for the pine if you wish lower branches they would likely be grafted on, unless you grew out a large sacrificial branch, then reduced it to initiate back budding blow the cit off point. Given the particular condition of this tree and the remaining branches the best bet over the shortest period of time would be grafting.
Having said that the tree appears very young and the distance up to the branching in not likely more than 8 to ten inches. So if that is the case I would use the movement, grow the sapling out into a larger Pine with a thicker base and develop the tree with apical leaders, alternating over the next decade or so.
How tall is the bare portion below the current branches?

Attachments

• 20240329_121040.jpg
    20240329_121040.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 19

louieis3

Seedling
Reaction score
How do I create lower branches? Oh, after inspecting the truck closer, I found 2 tiny buds. Will cutting candles in summer cause budding on the trunk or just the branches. I'm planning on growing it out in a bigger pot for a few years.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How do I create lower branches? Oh, after inspecting the truck closer, I found 2 tiny buds. Will cutting candles in summer cause budding on the trunk or just the branches. I'm planning on growing it out in a bigger pot for a few years.
If you plan on growing it out do not cut the candles. Candle cutting is primarily for refinement and managing growth purposes! Candle cutting on the branches does not cause budding on the trunk. Cutting back strong apical leaders and sacrifice branches will contribute to back budding on the trunk if the tree is juvenile. Not so much on older stock. If the tree requires growing out, focus on that for a few years..

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Look up "bonsaify" on youtube and search for Japanese Black Pine. Please note that these techniques he's using are for making smaller bonsai. (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bonsaify+black+pine)

His videos and explanations on working with young JBP were easy for me to understand and have helped me a lot.

Assuming you are not trying to grow a really thick trunk, you'll probably be pruning the candles to try to get dormant buds to pop. I think they normally come from where pairs of needles are, but can sometimes backbud if I'm not mistaken, so it might be worth a try.

Otherwise, that tree looks like it might make a good bunjin/literati in the future.

Top Bottom