Japanese Black pine seedling help

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi All,

Need some expert advice on these two pine seedlings. The first i'm wondering whether it is only some sun burn or is it possibly needle cast? The second is concerning me a bit more as the needles have a slight brown tinge, not sure if you can pick it up on the pictures, any ideas what this could be?

Attachments

• 20230620_105700.jpg
    20230620_105700.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 20230620_105637.jpg
    20230620_105637.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 91

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Needle cast is quite distinctive with yellow or brown bands ACROSS/AROUND the needles and I don't see any on the needles that are in focus.
Brown tips are likely from over watering or under watering. Only you will know what soil it is in and how much water or dry it has been getting. The soil looks quite odd. What are they planted in and what is on the surface?
Changing foliage colour can also be from nutrient deficiency. What fertilizer and how often?

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Needle cast is quite distinctive with yellow or brown bands ACROSS/AROUND the needles and I don't see any on the needles that are in focus.
Brown tips are likely from over watering or under watering. Only you will know what soil it is in and how much water or dry it has been getting. The soil looks quite odd. What are they planted in and what is on the surface?
Changing foliage colour can also be from nutrient deficiency. What fertilizer and how often?
@Shibui, thanks for the reply. So the two have slightly different soil, the first is a mix of a little bit of bark nuggets, peat, pumice and lava rock in a 20% 40% 40% ratio, the second is straight APL ratio 33% 33% 33%. What you are seeing on top is the organic fertilizer that's broken down (ie more than 3 weeks old now), it is a brand called bio ocean, slow release, recommended every 3 weeks, which i did up until the advent of winter. First one never really looked healthy, second one was my prized little seedling up until recently. I've been attempting to reduce the watering on them as the mix that the first one and its buddies are in retain moisture much longer than the APL of the second one especially now in winter, but i may have been under watering the one in the APL mix

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
We have found it beneficial to keep fertilising lightly through winter. In mild climates like yours and mine pines never go fully dormant so spring growth is much more vigorous if they have had some nutrients through winter.
The color changes could just be related to winter. Both still look quite good so I would not be getting in a panic just yet.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Last year's batch was a bit of a flop, between "cooking" the seeds and bird attacks, my hope of getting 10 seedlings went down to 4. And as the above indicated, most did not look super healthy. So trying another batch this year, was worried that i botched this one as well, as it's been about 6 or so weeks since planting them. At least there is 3 hiding in this pic ie not the obvious strong one in the front. Not sure why it's a struggle to grow these from seed here, not sure if it's me (tried to follow pro instructions to the t this time), climate or the quality of seeds, but this batch had twice the number of seeds and seems to be heading for a similar result.

Attachments

• 20230919_090746.jpg
    20230919_090746.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 72

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What a difference a week can make. This one combined with another, we are up to 24 seedlings now. Better results than what i expected, so in a few weeks time. Seedling cuttings experiment will start

Attachments

• 20230926_084432.jpg
    20230926_084432.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 58

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi All,
Not sure if anyone might be able to clarify something for me, i was under the impression that "damping off" of japanese black pine seedlings occur when they sit in mostly wet substrate and should be almost impossible when using something like lava, akadama and pumice and a lot of professionals seem to advocate this approach combined with river sand on top. So this year i tried exactly this, but could not find a trustworthy source for river sand so decided to replace this with vermiculite. So the last few weeks i've been noticing some of the seedlings in the above tray look week, some "falling" over, i've attempted to remove the seedlings from the batch in a attempt to hopefully save the tray and inspected a recent seedling i removed's root and it had a brownish discoloration and was "squishy"... which looked like a tell tale sign of root rot. Any idea where i went wrong? Was it the container, its about 1.5 inches? Water has been kept to when the vermiculite on top drys out, which on some days meant once a day, other days it was every second or 3rd day depending on weather.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Additional note, another tray that has peat and perlite in...the one i expected to have root rot or damping off issue has none yet...so a bit confused here

JEads

Mame
Reaction score
I grow hundreds of pine seedlings per year and I always use your basic garden variety bagged seedling soil (75%peat, 25% fine perlite). So it is tiny particles, and very rich. At this stage of development, I find that to be totally fine for pines. Once they get seedling cut, I switch to a mix with more perlite (50% fine peralite, 50% peat), but still fine particle and much more organic than their final mix. It is only at 1-2 years old do they get a mix more akin to their final mix (75% pumice, 25% compost). And it is only when they are ready to refine that they get their final mix with akadama. (75%larger pumice, 25% akadama.

I would guess that the first tray died of drying out, not dampening off.
hope that helps.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The seedlings ended growing fairly well. 30 odd germinated out of 100, so not sure what's a good percentage but this has been much better results than before. Only wish i could obtain reliably fresh seeds

Attachments

• 20240115_125939.jpg
    20240115_125939.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240115_125928.jpg
    20240115_125928.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 17

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I also did some seedling cuttings experiments...suffice to say i am not doing that again. 2 survivors out of 9

Attachments

• 20240115_125905.jpg
    20240115_125905.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240115_125854.jpg
    20240115_125854.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 20

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi All,

Need some expert advice on these two pine seedlings. The first i'm wondering whether it is only some sun burn or is it possibly needle cast? The second is concerning me a bit more as the needles have a slight brown tinge, not sure if you can pick it up on the pictures, any ideas what this could be?
Concern was for nothing, these 4 survivors from last year's experiment are growing strong

Attachments

• 20240115_125831.jpg
    20240115_125831.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom