Birds

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
When I was a kid, we would stop every 200 km to wipe out the insects on the windshield. Now, I can travell 800 km without bothering.
Here, the population of birds has fallen to 30% of what it was 20 years ago.

I vote, but it's hard to find the right ballot between the deniers and the wokes...

More about this song :

Peace,
A.K.

:cool:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I wouldn't announce that fact in public with all the bonsai thefts I read about.

So what ? Kill or get killed ?

I understand you have a different culture, but frankly, having a gun in your house won't prevent you from being shot any time, anywhere, in a country where owning a gun is "legal".

Anyway, there are fewer and fewer birds around because of uis, human beings, so I don't want to have a gun. And I've never ever had an opportunity to feel like having one in my past 68 years.

I live in western Europe, a kind of paradise maybe, though it's getting more and more tougher here. But I'll never let the gunshooters, whatever their religious-political stance are, divert me from the ideal society where I was raised when a child.

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, that's my stance! ;)

Many years ago, I left the door of my garage open. Someone stole my FG95 guitar I had bought in 77 in Dundee.

I was glad I didn't have any lethal weapon at home.

I finished a bottle of scotch, and thought : well, they're going to make a little money, and the one who will buy it may be much more of an artist than I am. So...

Anyway, what is "possession" ? I have things, photos, but what I can remember from the ones I love is more precious. They're non-material, if you see what I mean. So, killing people for earthly possessions seems to me totally irrelevant.

In the past 68 years, I've never been in a situation when I had to "shoot" anyone, and that's good. :cool:

I don't live in fear of thugs, terrorists, serial killers, etc.

It's so strange for me to think you "need" guns to feel safe, for me it's weird that people who own guns can live in peace with their neighbors. Such a different culture...

But it's OK, I don't blame you, it's just that I don't want us to think like some of you. Unfortunately the far-right is gaining momentum here in Europe, and I'm afraid we're heading to something that means "freedom" equals fascism - a bit like trumpisum where you live...

I wouldn't like to end like Stefan Sweig, I still have hope for the future.

Last edited:

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So what ? Kill or get killed ?

No. I just mean it's bad home security protocol. I wouldn't announce that there's a key under the front door mat, either. Probably nothing would happen, but why say anything at all?

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm afraid we're heading to something that means "freedom" equals fascism - a bit like trumpisum where you live...

I'm no fan of Trump, but he's hardly a fascist. The American political right is a bit more libertarian on average than the political right wing in much of Europe, or so I'm told by people I've met from Europe.

In fact, the US political left seems to be more authoritarian from where I stand. It's made up of people in cities who like big government. Local government really is important in the daily lives of citydwellers, but for those in rural areas, government is a meddling nuisance that makes their lives more difficult than necessary. Both perspectives are correct.

Thus, rural Trump supporters overwhelmingly want the government to stay out of their business, and that's kind of the opposite of fascism.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Back to BIRDS

Yellow tailed Black cockatoos. These are the biggest parrots around here. They have no problem opening cones of Stone Pine and carrying cones from stone pines away. They also hunt larger borer grubs that live inside tree trunks.
IMGP6980c.jpgIMGP6984c.jpg

Male Satin Bowerbird. The females and juveniles are olive green. They eat almost anything = leaves, flowers, vegetables, fruit. This male got caught inside the nets protecting the olives. I took some pics and released him. There's a bower somewhere in the garden most years.
IMGP7445c.jpgIMGP7448.JPG

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I help out an old duck down the road with her massive country garden when needed, this is my shadow there Harcourt IMG_20200811_002755.jpgIMG_20221008_124229.jpg
img_20231105_161948-jpg.520251

Attachments

• IMG_20231105_161948.jpg
    IMG_20231105_161948.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 90

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Black eyed junco. They overwinter here, so I've read.
This one unfortunately concussed itself on the window pane. It was breathing so I uprighted it and put it in an empty flower pot to recover. It flew away eventually.
20231210_090045.jpg
20231210_092055.jpg

Top Bottom