Requesting Advice on Birds Nest Spruce Trunk/Branching Exposure

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Requesting input on lowering soil surface to expose more trunk and lower branching on Birds Nest Spruce.

As I worked the soil with a chopstick, I ran into heavily inundated soil with roots. It is thick with smaller roots and it’s not easy to get down to where the first branch exits the trunk.

Is it safe to cut and remove the surface roots to expose the trunk and first branch? I assume the root ball is far beneath and in the middle, but I did not anticipate so many roots so high.

IMG_9046.jpeg

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't know that "safe" is the right word, but it needs to be done. Waiting until the proper time for a re-pot works better.
I have dug down to the base of several spruces, pines and junipers from nursery stock, this seems to be fairly common issue. I remove everything that is growing above the base of the trunk where it begins to flare. Sometimes I find some fairly significant roots growing from above where I think the base is, take care in deciding to remove those roots, they may need to wait. Then evaluate how much of the rootball to remove or clean up from the bottom. I like to see that base so I can decide if the tree needs an angle change or something.
I saw once where Ryen started from underneath to find the main root first, then worked down the excess on top. That might be safer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't know that "safe" is the right word, but it needs to be done. Waiting until the proper time for a re-pot works better.
I have dug down to the base of several spruces, pines and junipers from nursery stock, this seems to be fairly common issue. I remove everything that is growing above the base of the trunk where it begins to flare. Sometimes I find some fairly significant roots growing from above where I think the base is, take care in deciding to remove those roots, they may need to wait. Then evaluate how much of the rootball to remove or clean up from the bottom. I like to see that base so I can decide if the tree needs an angle change or something.
I saw once where Ryen started from underneath to find the main root first, then worked down the excess on top. That might be safer.
Understood, and thank you for the advice. I’ll be careful working it down.

Top Bottom