USDA Zone
7b
Brought home from work today 🌲

Robust!
IMG_3641.jpeg
IMG_3643.jpeg

Let’s take a look under the hood
IMG_3645.jpeg
Interesting root crossing (possible front)
IMG_3656.jpeg
Using organic and pumice mix for now
IMG_3664.jpeg

IMG_3681.jpeg

Likely front but the low lateral branch seems almost parallel to the crossing root and I’m not diggin it
IMG_3686.jpeg
🪓 🪓 chop chop
IMG_3688.jpeg
Possible front but root steps toward viewer.. though cool visual and layering either way
IMG_3692.jpeg

Likely to apply wire tomorrow but open to suggestions for structural styling of primaries and secondaries.

Attachments

• IMG_3692.jpeg
    IMG_3692.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 3

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
I can't say I would have picked that up but any tree with time can be made to something and don't wire it - you will kill it or weaken it. You need to slow down a bit with these guys, if you wire now after a repot you'll be breaking roots and stressing the tree by forcing repair on branches and roots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I can't say I would have picked that up but any tree with time can be made to something and don't wire it - you will kill it or weaken it. You need to slow down a bit with these guys, if you wire now after a repot you'll be breaking roots and stressing the tree by forcing repair on branches and roots.
Thanks! Will wait to wire 👍

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
Spruce, least the way I do it, need to be wired at the end of winter when it's still dormant and the sap is not moving, but not going have to endure the whole of winter - I'm in VA too so Feb/January is when I do all the spruce work. Right now just watch the water and fertilize well. if it responds well then you can wire/trim winter 2024/25

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm not sure how to link a thread when using the app yet but if you search

Little Jim Picea abies Ultra Dwarf​

You'll find what I did that caused mine to fail perhaps. I potted it up March 2020 and selective pruning later that year. No posts in the thread after that August.
Glad you've had success with others with this approach.

Top Bottom