Bio gold shelf life?

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
So when I was unpacking the boxes in the garage, I found 3 bags of bio gold I bought probably 2 years ago (moved twice in the past two years). They are still sealed but they sat in the garage for the most part in FL and GA. I have not opened the bags to check yet but I wonder if there is a shelf life to these things?

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The actual normal decomposition requires microbes, which require moisture and dilution of the nutrients to break them down. Additionally, oxygen to do it rapidly.
Since they are dry, dark, closed off, decomposition would be minor. Chemical reactions would have happened though. Just as they would have if this was cat or bird food.
And bird food wouldn't turn into grey goo magically. If dry, it will stay that way for decades.
But decomposition is what you want anyway. It may be that over time they have broken down spontaneously a bit more.
And that it will be a little more 'hot' than normal fresh biogold, which is already supposed to be quite mild and slow release anyway.
I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't use it. Or even why you'd rather use new fresh biogold on the more expensive trees, just in case.

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Remember a mask for that fine dry dust,open outside and wet down if possible. ✌️

Top Bottom