Bilbo's LED Experimentation tent.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
Going by that article i posted...So with the maplesi can potentially get a max of 2 years to utilise growth before certain death. So potentially i can have them ina a tent for 2 months take then out for spring and summer let them have a normal winter dormancy then do the same in say 2018. Giving them plenty of time to rest.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
Going by that article i posted...So with the maplesi can potentially get a max of 2 years to utilise growth before certain death. So potentially i can have them ina a tent for 2 months take then out for spring and summer let them have a normal winter dormancy then do the same in say 2018. Giving them plenty of time to rest.
Or could i force a short domancy with the minimum(i read 1000 hours) amount of time mid summer and then put them back out to enjoy the rest of sunmer and autum.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yes, but you don't have any Chinese Elms in the tent. The trees you have all need a dormancy.

Though I think your heart is set and you believe you can be successful, so those of us with experience don't know what we're talking about.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes, but you don't have any Chinese Elms in the tent. The trees you have all need a dormancy.

Though I think your heart is set and you believe you can be successful, so those of us with experience don't know what we're talking about.

I was going to put a chinese elm in there.

I dont mean to discredit anyones experience i do not try and hide my total lack of knowledge. I am fully aware that they will more than likely die or severly hinder them long term. As i mentioned before i have a curious mind and like to see things with my own eyes. Maybe it will work, maybe it wont.
Experimention is a whole lot of fun especially when the majority of trees in there are cuttings or ugly tree's that i practise on anyway.

I will learn a lot better by doing then by just reading.

Besides i will document the whole thing to entertain the bonsai nut masses with my failures.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it were easy to grow temperate trees inside don't you think a lot more people would be? No worrying about wintering and the horrors associated with that? I know I would be. But I know it isn't realistic,so I dont.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
"You can not educate someone that has already made up their mind"

Don't waste the effort trying to convince him otherwise. If he wants to waste his time killing trees for nothing, let him.

I have repeatedly said that i am aware that it probably wont work. This is an experiment. My hypothesis is that you could potentially speed up the development process of a tree under perfect conditions and a high level of control. The amount of effort needed and risks more than likely outweigh any potential benifits.

You dont have to try and convince me because i do not disagree with you.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or could i force a short domancy with the minimum(i read 1000 hours) amount of time mid summer and then put them back out to enjoy the rest of sunmer and autum.

You won't be able to force a dormancy mid summer unless you're putting your trees in your fridge. Its not (just) colder temps which send trees dormant, its the decrease in daylight hours. In summer you're getting an extra 4 hours of sun. I doubt your Maples will make it past the 3rd year. You've done a bit of research, I see. The experiment has already been done and the results are well documented??
I'll re-state my first point on page 1 - You're growing season is a hell of a lot longer than most of the folks on this forum. Why would you want an extra 3 months a year? Bonsai requires patience.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You won't be able to force a dormancy mid summer unless you're putting your trees in your fridge. Its not (just) colder temps which send trees dormant, its the decrease in daylight hours. In summer you're getting an extra 4 hours of sun. I doubt your Maples will make it past the 3rd year. You've done a bit of research, I see. The experiment has already been done and the results are well documented??
I'll re-state my first point on page 1 - You're growing season is a hell of a lot longer than most of the folks on this forum. Why would you want an extra 3 months a year? Bonsai requires patience.

Because he knows he's going to fail and wants to see it for himself, duh. ;)

There's really no point in us carrying out "discussion" anymore. His trees will grow OK for a month or two, he'll get really excited that he's proved everyone wrong, then come the following growing season they'll be very weak and won't grow much, eventually dying. But he saw it with his own eyes!

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score

Because i am greedy i guess haha. And yes i did mean put them in refrigeration. I doubt this is something i can maintain long term.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
Because he knows he's going to fail and wants to see it for himself, duh. ;)

There's really no point in us carrying out "discussion" anymore. His trees will grow OK for a month or two, he'll get really excited that he's proved everyone wrong, then come the following growing season they'll be very weak and won't grow much, eventually dying. But he saw it with his own eyes!

Pretty much and i am more than ok with that.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might end up with something like this.
Have you seen the progression on this tree?
It too looks like it was grown under lights.
Of course it's a little more developed than yours but then again it's been in training longer.
image.jpeg

Top Bottom