Bilbo's juniper #3

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Update after nearly 3 years. This was the 1st time i have touched this tree. I repoted today. Next step will be to select some leaders and work out a design.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Okay so another update. I forgot to get some before photos.

I cut a huge amount of foilage off and did some wiring. I still need to do some more wiring/refining.

I haven't checked the roots yet. I may cut the tape off tomorrow and have a look
20210918_121752.jpg

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
A lot of times we tend to do something simply because we know it can be done and don't have the slightest idea how to do it successfully. With the technique of cutting out a wedge from the trunk in order to bend it, there are several things that must be done carefully and accurately or the process will fail and you may lose the tree. As to planting the tree on a rock harvested from a salt water source is generally considered a bad idea. You don't ever seem to get all of the salt out no matter how you wash and soak and fool around with the rock. Generally speaking the only rock artistically acceptable will be rugged having many furrows and caverns in it. These places will harbor salt and may not be salt free in either of our life times.

I can confirm this tree hasn't died yet. The process didnt fail.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
I unwrapped the tape to inspect and clean up the roots. The tree has a little movement but is clasped to the rock quite well. I doubt it's necessary but I will probably re wrap the roots for a another few seasons.

A few diferent shots showing diferent sides20210920_114259.jpg20210920_114333.jpg20210920_114343.jpg20210920_114348.jpg

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Im confident that i could repot this into a bonsai pot now however i want the roots to thicken more to really clasp onto the rock.

Like with all bonsai it looks a lot better in person. It's hard to capture depth etc.

In the photos the rock looks too small for the tree and that may be the case however it looks much more proportioned in real life

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like the last image/front lean into the taper of the rock, it raises the “ground level”

reminds me of the rock islands in palau
694D06D5-B454-4F52-B4CD-329CB88749AB.jpeg9B7BB409-ED5A-49BB-9D92-55DAD9F89FD5.jpeg

Top Bottom