Bilbo's Bald Cypress

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
I bought this Bald Cypress in 2015.
These photo's are from 2016.
20180922_135833.jpg20180922_135756.jpg

Shortly after these photo's were take i performed some surgery on this cypress similar to the method below

file-20.jpgfile-25.jpg

Doing so greatly increased the trunk width. I had planned to let this tree grow another season but couldnt help myself. Today i gave it a little repot, root prune & hair cut.

20180922_120759.jpg
20180922_120725.jpg20180922_123432.jpg

I plan to create deadwood ontop and creat a new leader below.

I also made a shitload of cuttings from the top...finger crossed some strike20180922_123424.jpg

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Wire scars. :(

I don't know if these will ever heal. There is a tree (see photo below) in town with a weird scar on it. I assume it is a wire scar of some sort. Over the past 25 years, it hasn't changed. It's just gotten thicker.

I've thought about how I would fix this on a containerized tree, but nothing seems to make sense. The best guess I have would be to try grafting the tree's own branches across the scars. This would lead to more scaring, sure, but the tissue going across the scar would be bark-bearing. The scar tissue doesn't want to create a healed look.

Here's the bald cypress with the everlasting scar:
BaldCypressWireScarStreetview.jpg

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Wire scars. :(

I don't know if these will ever heal. There is a tree (see photo below) in town with a weird scar on it. I assume it is a wire scar of some sort. Over the past 25 years, it hasn't changed. It's just gotten thicker.

I've thought about how I would fix this on a containerized tree, but nothing seems to make sense. The best guess I have would be to try grafting the tree's own branches across the scars. This would lead to more scaring, sure, but the tissue going across the scar would be bark-bearing. The scar tissue doesn't want to create a healed look.

Here's the bald cypress with the everlasting scar:
View attachment 211053

I left wire scars intentionally.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
I wanted them to swell and add character etc. I will combine this with carving...yhats the idea anyway.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bald Cypress is one of my favorite trees (Junipers are my favorite) so I too would love to follow the progress of this tree...

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this Bald Cypress in 2015.
These photo's are from 2016.
View attachment 210755View attachment 210756

Shortly after these photo's were take i performed some surgery on this cypress similar to the method below

View attachment 210757View attachment 210758

Doing so greatly increased the trunk width. I had planned to let this tree grow another season but couldnt help myself. Today i gave it a little repot, root prune & hair cut.

View attachment 210759
View attachment 210760View attachment 210761

I plan to create deadwood ontop and creat a new leader below.

I also made a shitload of cuttings from the top...finger crossed some strikeView attachment 210762
Awesome effort! I will try this splitting technique on a few types of pre bonsai.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's kind of mystifying WHY you did this--unless this is the only BC you have access to.

Good taper in collected or even older containerized trees is pretty common. This kind of extreme treatment is basically unnecessary...

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Update. I have just let this grow until now. I cut off the leader and trimmed the roots its hard to tell from the photo but the base is super thick.

I have a few idea's on where i want to take this.

1. Leave at current hight and form a flat top.

2. Cut about half of its hight off and aim for more taper.

I still plan to do a fair bit of deadwood on this to blend in/hide the wire marks.

20200904_074715.jpg20200904_074740.jpg

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice, fat trunk, taper is actually developing. Those wire scars are horrible. At least to my taste. I doubt they will ever disappear.

I do not disagree they did not turn out exactly how i i had envisioned however i am not concerned. My current plan is to hopefully develop a leader down low, create a lot of jin/shari/carving above and down the trunk line to disguise the wire marks.
Something like this
Snapchat-1787683267.jpg

I am super happy with the results of splitting the trunk a few years about amd would consider it a success and the taper below is crazy. Its hard to get in a photo.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Also i have seen the wire technique used and look awesome. My execution was just shit imo.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Beanwagon - if you would finish filling out your profile, to give an approximate location, maybe nearest city and state that people would recognize, I would not have to scroll back to figure out what your local climate is like.

If you are anywhere in North America, this is a poor choice of timing to do this drastic a "chop". You could do the exact same, but in early spring, and expect great results. If you are in the Southern Hemisphere, like New Zealand, this is a perfect time for this sort of treatment.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
@Beanwagon - if you would finish filling out your profile, to give an approximate location, maybe nearest city and state that people would recognize, I would not have to scroll back to figure out what your local climate is like.

If you are anywhere in North America, this is a poor choice of timing to do this drastic a "chop". You could do the exact same, but in early spring, and expect great results. If you are in the Southern Hemisphere, like New Zealand, this is a perfect time for this sort of treatment.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

I am in Australia. Sydney. Spring just starting. My favorite time of years for bonsai.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Excellent. Perfect timing then.

I will let the exposed wood dry out and carve it next year probably. This tree is not much to look at now bit hope in 5 years time i have something to show.

This tree has been fun to experiment on so i do npt really care what happens to it. I may even try and split the base again to get even more taper.

Top Bottom